Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have the white eggs gone

Options
  • 22-11-2007 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

When I was a kid if my Mam bought eggs there was always a combination of brown and white eggs. I have not seen a white egg for years. Where did they go ?
    Is it something to do with the stuff they feed to hens ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I still get the occasional white egg in my boxes, though much less frequently.

In the states they only have white eggs and sell the brown eggs cheaper as nobody wants to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Colour of the eggs depends on the breed, but often it's brown eggs from brown hens, white eggs from white hens. I think most of the commercial hens producing brown eggs are rhode island reds, or rhode island crosses - they're good layers and good meat birds too, hardy and with high egg production.

You may be more likely to get a mix of colours in a free-range box, as free-range breeders can keep a variety of breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Mystery solved !
    Thanks everyone.

No problem. I currently have, in my care, three suffolks and four rhode island crosses. I learned two things:

1) There is more to chickens than meets the eye.
    2) The internet is an incredible resource for smallholding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I have several Light Sussex type hens and they lay almost white eggs. People do seem to prefer brown eggs though, I used to do a farmers market locally and was always being asked "don't you have any brown eggs". Perhaps people associate brown eggs with being healthier a bit like bread ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:D

Excellent username!

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No problem. I currently have, in my care, three suffolks and four rhode island crosses. I learned two things:

1) There is more to chickens than meets the eye.
    2) The internet is an incredible resource for smallholding.
    And don't forget number 3

3. "Always tuck your trousers into your boots when you're cleaning out a chicken shed. It's not a fashion show. It doesn't matter that it looks ghey".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's not a fashion show. It doesn't matter that it looks ghey".[/I]
    Yes. Because if you looked gay you'd look really out of place at a fashion show.

3. Always tuck your trousers into your boots when you're cleaning out a chicken shed. It's not a fashion show. It doesn't matter that it looks het.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Talliesin wrote: »
    Yes. Because if you looked gay you'd look really out of place at a fashion show.

3. Always tuck your trousers into your boots when you're cleaning out a chicken shed. It's not a fashion show. It doesn't matter that it looks het.
    What?

Even better have kids and bribe them to clean the chicken shed out for you :)

• Advertisement

/me weighs up having kids versus cleaning out a chicken shed once a month.

I'll stick with the chickens, thanks.

With hindsight I wish I f*cking had lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EGirl

I have several Light Sussex type hens and they lay almost white eggs. People do seem to prefer brown eggs though, I used to do a farmers market locally and was always being asked "don't you have any brown eggs". Perhaps people associate brown eggs with being healthier a bit like bread ?

Just a small point, not that exciting really: There is an argument that brown eggs have smaller pores than lighter eggs and therefore do not get contaminated with salmonella from the chickens' poo if they come into contact with it. However, breeds like Welsummers and Marans that lay brown eggs have been bred for their egg colour and not productivity, therefore good layers in these breeds are harder to find. So there is an argument that brown eggs are more likely to be contaminated but most battery eggs are laid in rollaway cages and the hen doesn't ever get to sit on her eggs. Go free range or organic and try a local farmers market and you're likely to get the different coloured eggs.

Whew!:eek:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Did'nt want to make new topic
    However
    Wondering if anyone knows of a place/shop I can buy white eggs (anywhere between Donegal-Dublin)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi, there's a very recent thread on the subject in the Food & Drink forum:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056897882

This thread is 6 years old :eek:
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement