Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PC

Options
  • 22-11-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I want to Boost the RAM on my Current PC. It currently has 2 512MB sims,
    512MB 184p PC3200 CL3 16c 32x8 DDR DIMM T001, Nanya, ABG, NT512D64S8HB1G-5T

Am I restriucted to what type of memory I can upgrade too.

The chip is a 3.2 Pentium, on an ASUS board, P4P800

cheers

T

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Any DDR ram will work, though obviously it makes sense to get more pc3200. This is about as cheap as you'll get it, I assume you won't want anymore then 2gb and also that you just want functional ram rather then high performance stuff. Put them in to the color corresponding slots on your mobo, i.e your current stick in slot 1 and 3 respectively, and the new ones in 2 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

HavoK wrote: »
    Any DDR ram will work, though obviously it makes sense to get more pc3200. This is about as cheap as you'll get it, I assume you won't want anymore then 2gb and also that you just want functional ram rather then high performance stuff. Put them in to the color corresponding slots on your mobo, i.e your current stick in slot 1 and 3 respectively, and the new ones in 2 and 4.

Thanks for reply Havok. Quick Question. Does it need to be balanced the memory. Could I buy 2 1 gig Simms, and leave the 2 500 in there?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

tred wrote: »
    Thanks for reply Havok. Quick Question. Does it need to be balanced the memory. Could I buy 2 1 gig Simms, and leave the 2 500 in there?.

That shouldn't be a problem

Yeah would be fine, as above. The Twinmos 2gb kit of pc3200 should be the cheapest 2gb in 2x1gb available. Going a bit back with time with the simms though :D

Yeah would be fine, as above. The Twinmos 2gb kit of pc3200 should be the cheapest 2gb in 2x1gb available. Going a bit back with time with the simms though :D

So, would i be better off then removing the Sims that are in it, and upgrading with 2 1 Gig more modern Simms. Would they be compatible with the Board?. Would I gain performance that way, than having 3 gig old memory?

• Advertisement

No, I thought you meant you wanted 3gb. If you just want 2gb total, get the 1gb kit I linked to and run it with your current ram. If you want more, get the 2gb and keep your current ram also. Either way, keep your current ram! :D

No, I thought you meant you wanted 3gb. If you just want 2gb total, get the 1gb kit I linked to and run it with your current ram. If you want more, get the 2gb and keep your current ram also. Either way, keep your current ram! :D

Ok, ill stick 2 gig in it, and see how it goes. Ill get back to u on my next upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Doesn't (32-bit) Windows XP have a memory address limit of 2Gb, effectively meaning that 1Gb out of 3Gb would go unused?
    Or was it 2Gb per application?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Nope, 32-bit has a 4GB total memory cap inclusive of video RAM/sound RAM etc. In reality this is a bit lower agaian it seems, but you should see most if not all of 3GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

go to crucial.com, it does online scan,recommends best memory ddr,type speed for your pc, it says winxp uses 3gig ram max,did scan on my athlon x2 pc.i think all the memory will run at the speed of the slowest dimm you have eg2400,even if you buy 3400rated ddr ram.

• Advertisement

gamer wrote: »
    i think all the memory will run at the speed of the slowest dimm you have eg2400,even if you buy 3400rated ddr ram.

Horrible punctuation aside :rolleyes:, this is correct. Don't waste money buying fast RAM if you'll be using it with the existing slower stuff.

Well he already has 3200, so he's fine there...

Doh. Somehow got it into my head that he had 2700. I'll put it down to a long day :p

Thanks to all for the very helpfull replies. Appreciate it.

Advertisement