Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N+ Opportunity

Options
  • 22-11-2007 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

I was contacted about a N+ course starting shortly and i am not sure if it would be a good idea or not to start it. I do have experience in computers and support, but i was thinking more along the lines of getting ceritfied for A+ followed by N+ maybe this time next year, but im thinking i should skip A+ and just go and do the N+.

I'm basically looking for advice from boardies who have set or taken the N+ course and exams, what was it like, how hard was or is it? its only going to be one night a week, which suits me :) One part says take the plunge and another says wait and do the A+ first?

I'd love to hear your opinions on this? mods included ;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I think if you feel you understand the ins and outs of Pcs and windows then you should be ok for the Net+... I started doing it a few years back but dropped out. The range of people doing it at the time was mad(fas course)... Only myself and one other guy knew the workings of PCs, others had never looked inside a case. One girl had studied to be a beautician and wanted a changed, she never used a Pc before... She studied her ass off n passed in the end...

I'm planning on starting it again next year.... What college is running the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

unklerosco wrote: »
    I think if you feel you understand the ins and outs of Pcs and windows then you should be ok for the Net+... I started doing it a few years back but dropped out. The range of people doing it at the time was mad(fas course)... Only myself and one other guy knew the workings of PCs, others had never looked inside a case. One girl had studied to be a beautician and wanted a changed, she never used a Pc before... She studied her ass off n passed in the end...

I'm planning on starting it again next year.... What college is running the course?

The course is based in BCT college. what was the course content like, was it more practical work or hands on? I'm really trying to get an idea, because i dont want to commit and then decide to drop out after a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rossworth

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I was contacted about a N+ course starting shortly and i am not sure if it would be a good idea or not to start it. I do have experience in computers and support, but i was thinking more along the lines of getting ceritfied for A+ followed by N+ maybe this time next year, but im thinking i should skip A+ and just go and do the N+.

I'm basically looking for advice from boardies who have set or taken the N+ course and exams, what was it like, how hard was or is it? its only going to be one night a week, which suits me :) One part says take the plunge and another says wait and do the A+ first?

I wouldn't bother with the A+, if you're confident enough troubleshooting the various o/s' then you don't need it, in my experience it's not really recognized, I think the a+ focuses to much on the minor details, for example...I do LAN for a bank, if a machine goes down...the time spent troubleshooting & fixing the components often outweighs the cost of the machine itself, larger companies will just replace a client rather than fix one....go straight for the networking courses...don't stop at n+ , it's only a gateway......get your mcsa/mcse/ccna/ccnp.....or cwnp if you want to cover wireless technology, i'm doing this at the mo, it's fun

also for the n+, get the microsoft press released study materials, they cut out most of the crap...melissa craft was the author of the stuff I got, might want to get yourself a book on tcp/ip fundamentals but thats about all you'll need

go for it & good luck

The course is based in BCT college. what was the course content like, was it more practical work or hands on? I'm really trying to get an idea, because i dont want to commit and then decide to drop out after a few weeks.

Thats the one i'm going for.... When I did it in FAS is was half n half... U'd study the theory and then put it into practice, only prob was u'd spend half the time installing Server 2000... U where on a different Pc every day n had to do a clean install... It was a joke. I've no idea what the BCT course plan is like...

The lecturer is meant to be great tho, there was another thread on here about the Net+ or the CCNA that they do in BCT and he got great reviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,758 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

In the midlle of the Fas A+ & Network+ myself, first A+ exam coming up next month, big mix of guys doing it one or two have dropped out, a few of us are pretty good at troubleshooting & building PC's before we even started the course, also our Lecturer told us that this was the last time that FAS were doing this course and they were going to split it out, so keep an eye on the FAS website.
    Interesting to hear your comments on the Network+ being the more recognised certification, even our lecturer told us that we have more chance of employment with that under our belt, so hopefully it will stand to us.
    Just wondering if we do get employed will we have to do customer service roles or 1st Level Tech jobs, I don't mind getting my hands dirty don't know about Customer service roles?
    I see getting decent work experience at the end of the course as also being key, don't want to be left to my own devices in some place and get nothing out of it.

• Advertisement

Some of the placements you get with fas can be quite good... An old friend got a placement in toyota and they kept him.... Thought that was a good few years ago. I got lucky n blagged my way into an IT role with no qualifications other than my ability to sell myself. I spent the 5 years driving trucks and decided I wanted a change, always been into IT so I just went for it... Guess I got lucky.... Got to skip all the call center work(worst job ever!!!)

Can anyone recommend a college that would have this course available, i was looking into before and got side tracked over christmas with work :). I saw an add for Dorset College and BCT, but the application asks for credit card details when applying and im just a bit worried that if they accepted me, work would not give me the time during the evening as i have to work late.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Can anyone recommend a college that would have this course available, i was looking into before and got side tracked over christmas with work :). I saw an add for Dorset College and BCT, but the application asks for credit card details when applying and im just a bit worried that if they accepted me, work would not give me the time during the evening as i have to work late.

im doing Net+ atm with fas its great and you get payed to do it! only really good if you can commit fulltime thow

im doing Net+ atm with fas its great and you get payed to do it! only really good if you can commit fulltime thow

I cant really afford to commit full-time, even though it would be much easier and probably take half the time to do and sit the exams, but part-time is what i am looking for.

What FAS are you located in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

So will any of he A+ stuff come up in the N+ exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

bbability wrote: »
    So will any of he A+ stuff come up in the N+ exams?

yes.

Do you already work in IT?

If so, what are your daily tasks?

accensi0n wrote: »
    Do you already work in IT?

If so, what are your daily tasks?

What difference would this make? I worked for a ISP a few years ago, i finished and was doing support through a recruitment agency for some companys, mainly support on OS, printers. I always helping friends with new/old PC's reinstalling, upgrading and adding new hardware to PC's and Laptops etc. I actually like to take N+ maybe followed by MCSA as its job i think i would enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

If your looking at doing the MCSA or any MCP's really I'd go straight for them to be honest once you have them they over shadow the N+. I have it since the NT days and although its a good course to give you the understanding of a network infrastructure. If you are planning on doing MCP's right after its a waste of time really.

Now if you dont think your up to scratch on Networking TCP/IP etc.. then go for it the Comptia Courses are great for people starting there career.

Did u find anywhere to do it??? The BCT one didn't start again due to lack of numbers.. I'm looking at starting the evening course in IT Blanch, starts monday week. Gotta call em on monday n see if there's places....

After finishing the Net + what would u recommend Jaoibh?? I'm working in IT at the mo, Currently the company outsource's any networking jobs and all their server problems. I hope to learn how to do all this myself so we don't have to do that anymore.... That n its good grounds for a rise ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I got lucky n blagged my way into an IT role with no qualifications other than my ability to sell myself. I spent the 5 years driving trucks and decided I wanted a change, always been into IT so I just went for it... Guess I got lucky.... Got to skip all the call center work(worst job ever!!!)

Blagged my way too... learning as much as I can on the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I cant really afford to commit full-time, even though it would be much easier and probably take half the time to do and sit the exams, but part-time is what i am looking for.

What FAS are you located in?

Loughlinstown

After finishing the Net + what would u recommend Jaoibh?? I'm working in IT at the mo, Currently the company outsource's any networking jobs and all their server problems. I hope to learn how to do all this myself so we don't have to do that anymore.... That n its good grounds for a rise ;-)

Damn Right its good grounds for a rise, After the N+ I'd go straight for MCSA.
    You'll learn a tone of stuff about networking and 2003 server, The XP one is fairly ok there's alot of random questions but its a good course.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/security/windowsserver2003.mspx

It really depends on your current IT infrastructure what courses you do next. But the Virtual enviornment is the future either the windows version or Vmware ESX.

What difference would this make? I worked for a ISP a few years ago, i finished and was doing support through a recruitment agency for some companys, mainly support on OS, printers. I always helping friends with new/old PC's reinstalling, upgrading and adding new hardware to PC's and Laptops etc. I actually like to take N+ maybe followed by MCSA as its job i think i would enjoy.

If your already working in IT I'd say don't bother with the Network+. If your interested in doing the MCSA/MCSE, just go straight for it.

I'd say you'd be able to prepare for the Network+ in 2 weeks as well as working a full-time job if you wanted to do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kerplunk.

If your already working in IT I'd say don't bother with the Network+. If your interested in doing the MCSA/MCSE, just go straight for it.

If you are planning on doing the CCNA,CCNP, MCSA, MCSE or any other course - you should check out ebay for cheap course materials and previous exam papers etc, MCSE for instance is 7 exams and each training pack book costs around €50 brand new and that is before you pay the €130 for each exam, you will find all kinds of useful resources on ebay from previous students who dont need the items anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

By previous exam papers you can read brain dumps.. just be wary of what you buy.

Well the IT in Blanch is full and the other places i've checked are full or can't get enough interest...

I have the CBT nuggets videos n a network + book(will prob need the 2005 edt tho)... Do u think i'd be able to self study just using them?? Was thinking about doing the fas online course but thats 26 weeks long and i'd hoped to get it done in about half that...

Was planning on staying back in work twice a week to study as i've access to a server n a load of other gear(switches, routers, hubs etc) that I can practise on. I can set up a small network to mess with n leave it till i've finished studying...

Would there be any point in doing the Server + course or leave it n go for the MCSA straight after??? I'd go straight for the MCSA now but I haven't studyied for anything since the leaving(over 10yrs now) and even then I didn't study much.... I want to use the Net + to get my head down n get the work done and to brush up on what little networking knowledge I have...

thats a good idea, its great that you have access to that tech you already have a step up on most people who sit N+
    To be honest I wouldnt do server+ I'd move on to MCSA after you get yourself into the study mood.

I'm the same I hadnt looked at a book since my leaving and started straight into the MCP's and it takes alot of effort but if your to pass the microsoft exams in any sort of time frame you need to be doing 2 nights through the week and a few hours on a weekend, Just think to yourself this is only short term the MCSA has only 4 exams which is grand if you get the N+ and then move on to the MCSA straight away you wont have to do as much study for the 70-291 thats a proper SOB! I'm working on it at the moment and I have an interest in the subject but the training video's are sooo boring!
    Best of luck with what ever decission you make and if you need help just ask.

Cheers... My job is quite handy. I've two servers, and getting a new one this month at my disposal and a shed load of networking gear lying about... N a load of pcs n laptops too. I really wanna get it done by march n get the basics of server 2003 into my head as there's a big job comming up which involces setting up a server n a small network. It's for a massive customer, I aim to do it all myself so we don't need to outsource any work.... Thats my motivation for getting the Net + done

Good stuff March is very close to get yourself ready for a huge project. best of luck with it.

Cheers... My job is quite handy. I've two servers, and getting a new one this month at my disposal and a shed load of networking gear lying about... N a load of pcs n laptops too. I really wanna get it done by march n get the basics of server 2003 into my head as there's a big job comming up which involces setting up a server n a small network. It's for a massive customer, I aim to do it all myself so we don't need to outsource any work.... Thats my motivation for getting the Net + done

I don't think the Network+ material is going to benefit you to a great extent in this situation.

I think you should ditch the N+ idea and study hardcore for the Windows Server 2003 certificate. (70-290).

I don't think the Network+ material is going to benefit you to a great extent in this situation.

I think you should ditch the N+ idea and study hardcore for the Windows Server 2003 certificate. (70-290).

Been thinking that myself, after studying the Net + for the past few weeks i've learnt a bit but not much I can put to use.. I think the server 2003 would benefit me way more...

Advertisement