Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista on Vostro

• 22-11-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

The gf wants to get a new laptop so trying to get the best bang for the buck and the Vostro 1000 from Dell is the cheapest laptop i could find, the only problem is that it comes with Vista home as standard and only 1GB of ram. She only needs the basics like surfin, messaging, email, office, the odd movie etc. Im not a big fan of Vista, its pretty and with a pretty hefty resource price to pay (not to mention the beyond homozone licensing crap). I can get it with XP Pro for an extra 50Euro but Im wondering is that better spent on more RAM?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

For home use Vista will be fine. Get the extra ram instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

More ram still doesn't really speed up the boot time of vista, its still pig slow with
    2Gb. It does however give you more headroom for opening more Applications together. Will she be opening several applications together or 1 at a time. Personally I'd go with Xp as its much faster, boots quicker & is less buggy. Vista doesn't do anything that Xp can't.

Can't believe Dell are charging 50e for the "opt for Xp option" when its cheaper to buy than Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Go with Vista... 1gb should be plenty of RAM if it's only for regular home use...

IMO it's silly to buy a new PC/laptop without vista... It seems to be fashionable to bash it and say XP is way better, but i really do find vista great... Had it for a few months, love it... I now hate having to use older os's like xp...

Advertisement