Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia. Would you?

• 22-11-2007 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Ive been offered the chance to go on a one year working visa, leaving maybe March, and Im in two minds.

Two mates are already going in late January. My life situation at the moment is this. I like where I live. Well, its alright, its a gaff with no real rules, I can do what I like and I have a sizeable bedroom for 320 per month (parents moved down the sticks years ago). Im 21. I earn about 25K and work very close to home. Its an alright job, somewhat monotonous at times. The people are generally sound. The main advantage of this job over others is

a- I only work a 4 day week (10 hrs per day). Have the weekend off and one day during the week.

b- Holidays are sh1t easy to get, I can get a call Monday telling me there is a party Wednesday night, I can get a day off no hassle.

Now, as said, the money could be better, but am I shooting myself in the foot going to pick oranges in Australia for peanuts? From those who have been, whats your experience. Is it flexible work or could I find myself breaking my back until 10pm on Saturday night.

As for the weather, what is the Australian winter like? Really, id rather spend a scorching summer in Ireland than Aussie July weather that might be like late September here. Ive seen peoples photos from trips to the Canaries and Cyprus in January and February. It looks pleasent, but a bit of cloud and I really cant imagine that type of trip being worthwhile. Is July in Oz really beach suitable?

As for social life, is it possible to work a crap immigrants job in Oz, pay rent and still hit the clubs every weekend and go for a few pints after work? I have this paranoia about being stuck there barely able to live. Are women as crazy about the Irish there as in Scotland/England?

So my main concerns are not making enough cash to enjoy myself, the weather and not being able to get back into the same cushty accomodation/work situation when I get back. Whats your opinions, grab it by the balls regardless? How hard is it to just walk into that Aussie place in town and request a visa package trip to the area my friends are already in. Do they only offer them at certain stages of the year?

Also, some might see this as an irrelevant point, but with all the talk of the reviving of a football torunament beteen the 5 teams of the islands this summer, are Oz Irish bars open 24/7? Would I have trouble getting to see the matches? From your experience how tough is getting leave from some of these menial jobs out there, as I would need time off to watch the games. Id be somewhat heartbroken to be out of Ireland if we did pull off some amazing victory.

So, Im leaving an ideal living situation and a job that, while it could be better, has its benefits. Its alot easier for people still living with the old folks to just walk out and walk back into their old life. I face the prospect of being unemployed for several weeks after getting a new place back here while I look for suitable work. But I am only 21. Would you grab the opportunity, say **** whatever back in Dublin, live for now?

Advice much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

I would go if I were you. I have not been but have cousins from Belfast living there now and they love it. I went to California and lived there for six years. It will change your life for the better. 21 is a good age. Good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I came over in Feb originally for a year and now I'm staying, though I am a citizen which has made it easier. Best decision I ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ive decided I am likely going in April. Few things though:

Is cross country travel by bus or train expensive? The lads have some mad idea about basically being travelling labourers- living out of hostels, working one place for a month, moving 200 miles further north/south/east/west. In fact its quite possible they wont be in Sydney when I arrive. To me, this travelling lark sounds insane. Im more of the rent a flat near the Sydney beaches, work from early morning to late afternoon, then lie on the beach drinking and admiring the, ahem, view :) Hauling bags from here to there and not knowing where the next job or town is, it sounds like a whole lot of unecessary hassle when everything you want is right there as soon as you get off the plane. Dont get me wrong, Id intend a trip to the barrier reef or Ayers Rock to say I was there, but basically Sydney has everything I want from the holiday- beaches, sun, birds, beer, thats what Im going for, not to say I worked as a tour guide for 3 weeks at Ayers Rock. Im only there to earn enough to pay for the rent, food and beer, and Id be quite happy to sit on my arse in Sydney for the duration (its not as if we would run out of things to do). But, of course, it will be a 2-1 descision so I might be forced into it.

Also, how easy is it for a person arriving alone to basically get aquainted with people there? Ill be truthfully honest when I say this, the lads are heading in January, Im heading in April and I am truly terrified that the second I pay off the costs in February Ill get a call.

"we`re gettin deported, Lee got arrested for drunk and disorderly" (VERY possible)

"we cant do it anymore, we have run out of money" (while one of the lads has a reasonable amount, one of the guys just about had enough money for the flight, apart from that he will be flying out with maybe 200 euro if he is lucky, and he is banking on getting sent a pile of cheques when he turns 21 in Feb)

So basically, there is a chance that this will go tits up and Ill have no option but to fly out alone with nobody to meet. Has anyone done this? Is it very easy to get friendly with other ex pats working the same type of working visa jobs, or will everyone think I am some type of weirdo for going it alone, and Ill be heading home myself within a month after a rotten experience of living in a hostel, working for crap and not having anyone to even go drinking with? Just some weird Irish guy lying alone on the beach every evening drinking and usuccessfully trying to score.....

Yeah, i admit, some people call me a pessimist :D But its an awful thought, am I essentially doomed if forced to go it alone? Anyone here travelled there alone and made a success of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

You will have no problem finding people to go drinking with in Sydney or anywhere else in Oz. Drink there is very cheap and some of the pubs are open 24/7. There licensing laws are alot more relaxed than ours and you can get drink in lots of places. All the hostels have parties organised and trips to various places; within a few hours you'll probably meet someone from the same area as you if not someone you know. I lived in Sydney city centre in a big old house with 27 Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh people for 2 months over Christmas. It was one big session! None of us knew each other before we moved in.

The condition of the working visa is that you can only stay in the one area for 3 months and then you must move even though I know plenty of people who ignore this. Usually most people work for a few months in Sydney than buy a car and go travelling down to Melbourne and up to Ayres Rock, maybe stopping in Cairns or Brisbane to work again for a few months to get some more money. If there is a group of you it's much cheaper to buy a car than go by bus. Weather wise winter in Sydney can be overcast and in the mid teens but go up the coast a few hundred miles to the Gold coast (around Surfer's Paradise, Airlie Beach and the Great Barrier Reef) and it's year round sunshine in the mid to high 20's. I would definately recommend moving around a bit, maybe having defined periods were ye are going to work and others where ye are just travelling. There are so many different types of areas in Oz; rainforest, desert, skiing, outback, wineyards, European type cities and laid back surfer towns.

What type of work would you be looking to do? I did waitressing and bar work (not my actual profession) and it was perfect; could pick up work anywhere, completely flexible hours and good craic with lots of free food and drink. Working in an office would be better money but would be like being at home I think with the 9-5 drudge.

You're still quite young but I think it's the perfect age to take a year out. You never know you might even enjoy it!

Advertisement