Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 Series - IPOD integration

Options
  • 22-11-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for a decent product to integrate an ipod video into a 3 series BMW.
    I have previously used the Harman Kardon Drive+Play but thought it was pants to be honest. I've also tried the Griffin iTrip and thought that was pants too.

Basically I'm looking for something that doesn't use FM transmitters and ideally integrates nicely into a 3 series. The Harman Kardon looks the part though the sound is really with it.

Does anyone know if BMW actually fit iPod car kits or know of any shop that specializes in fitting them. Maybe somewhere around the Louth, Meath or Dubli n area would be ideal.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The current 3 series has an Aux In in the centre console.

I know that the 5 has an iPod kit available, but not so sure about the 3. Ring your local BMW dealer and ask the question. I'm sure others here will have more suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You can fit an Aux input alright - but you won't be able to control the iPod through it.
    Best option by far is the Intravee if you have the Sat nav screen.

Otherwise, look into the Dension Icelink, or the DICE units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

BMW sell the adaptor for iPod for models from 2001+
    I believe it also allows you to control it through the steering wheel buttons.
    The connector itself is inside the glove box.
    They have different models depending if you have Satnav, TV, HARMAN KARDON, CD changer etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Cheers for the info lads, very much appreciated. Will give the dealer a call though you know BMW, they will charge an arm and sixteen legs for it. Thats why I am looking into install it myself.

There is a crowd in Dundalk that do all the car kit stuff dvd players etc etc, though the time I bought the Harman Kardon it was like €110 (For and Audi A4), I went into them the week previous and they said they would do me a deal and would only charge me €250 for installing and the Harman Kardon was on special at €389....

€700!!! for a device that costs a €110!!!. Thats why I'm kinda doing a shout out,
    to ensure I don't get ripped off....

Dension Icelink looks much the same as Harman Kardon. Looks like it uses FM antenna input.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

You haven't told us which 3er you have.

If it's an E46 you have three options. You can get the BMW auxilliary input kit for about €40 from a dealer. It's very handy to fit but you'll still need your Ipod to hand to control it. You can get the BMW Ipod integration kit. I dunno the cost of the kit but it requires dealer coding for it to work = €€€

Best option IMO, and the way I went, is the Dension Icelink kit. I got it for about €50 delivered on Ebay and, if you're any way handy, takes about an hour to fit. Ipod sits in a cradle like a mobile phone and can be controlled from the Ipod, from the stereo or from the steering wheel if you have multi function.

• Advertisement

milltown wrote: »
    You haven't told us which 3er you have.

If it's an E46 you have three options. You can get the BMW auxilliary input kit for about €40 from a dealer. It's very handy to fit but you'll still need your Ipod to hand to control it. You can get the BMW Ipod integration kit. I dunno the cost of the kit but it requires dealer coding for it to work = €€€

Best option IMO, and the way I went, is the Dension Icelink kit. I got it for about €50 delivered on Ebay and, if you're any way handy, takes about an hour to fit. Ipod sits in a cradle like a mobile phone and can be controlled from the Ipod, from the stereo or from the steering wheel if you have multi function.

Its an E46 alright, though it looks like the Dension uses the FM Antenna connection to work no?.....

Wouldn't that just be the same as the Harman Kardon Drive+Play?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm not familiar with the HK one but the Dension I got (Icelink plus iirc) is actually connected into the CD changer cable in the boot, then runs up through the car to the centre console where the cradle is screwed on. It's selected by the mode switch on the stereo, as the CD changer would be, if I still had one. TBH I can't see why I would want a CD player with gigs of MP3s to choose from.

I just had a goo at ebay to see if I could get you a link and they seem to have gone up in price.

This is like the one I got:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/BMW-Mini-iPod-adapter-Dension-ice-Link-Plus-interface_W0QQitemZ180183380396QQihZ008QQcategoryZ122183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers for the info, much appreciated....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Dension ICE>Link doesn't use an FM connector, it tricks the headunit into thinking your iPod is a CD Changer, and gives CD quality audio. They're very trick, and very simple to install ... I did one on my girlfriend's MINI here :

http://miniclub.ie/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=17148#17148

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If your car has the CD changer wiring going to the boot ( i think most E46's do ), then you could install the Dension ICE>Link in the boot, and leave your Ipod in the boot too... I done this as i didn't want to constantly worry about it been stolen from the car...

On the left side of your boot there should be two little compartments ( this is where the OEM changer fits ) i put my ipod and Dension ICE>Link inside here... You should also find the wiring for the CD changer located in or around this area...

There are a couple of good and bad things about the Dension ICE>Link:-
    Good
    Sound quality is excellent
    If you order the Dension ICE>Link with the right connections and you have the CD changer wiring in your boot its very easy to fit.
    Do you have the E46 business CD player?? If you turn on the advanced interface the ID3 Tags look cool on your stereo. You can not display text on a E46 tape player...

Bad:
    If you switch to using the advanced interface with the ID3 Tags the interface becomes a bit of a pain, every button press become a double press, which is a pain when going through menus...
    I found that my Dension ICE>Link was not going to standby correctly and was draining the battery of my car, i should probably download new firm ware for it and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

If your car has the CD changer wiring going to the boot ( i think most E46's do ), then you could install the Dension ICE>Link in the boot, and leave your Ipod in the boot too... I done this as i didn't want to constantly worry about it been stolen from the car...

On the left side of your boot there should be two little compartments ( this is where the OEM changer fits ) i put my ipod and Dension ICE>Link inside here... You should also find the wiring for the CD changer located in or around this area...

Good
    If you order the Dension ICE>Link with the right connections and you have the CD changer wiring in your boot its very easy to fit.
    Do you have the E46 business CD player?? If you turn on the advanced interface the ID3 Tags look cool on your stereo. You can not display text on a E46 tape player...

Bad:
    If you switch to using the advanced interface with the ID3 Tags the interface becomes a bit of a pain, every button press become a double press, which is a pain when going through menus...
    I found that my Dension ICE>Link was not going to standby correctly and was draining the battery of my car, i should probably download new firm ware for it and try again.

There is a setting on the ICELINK menu for continuous charging or only when the ignition is on - This could be draining the battery

62 pounds is a great price for it, fairly easy to install, I ran mine to the center console and bought one of these, it looks greathttp://www.dashmount.ie/consoles/bmw.htm

By the way if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, Cartronics in Santry are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I fitted the Dension one into the 325ci at home, took half an hour, controllable via the steering wheel buttons, really is excellent.

It's my wife's car - the shoes are hers!! :rolleyes:

Richie.

CIMG0300.JPG

Hey guys,

I called BMW today and they said that they can fit a kit that works through the multi function steering wheel, but I would lose the use of my 6 CD changer in the back. Unit costs €155 Inc Vat + installation cost.

The guy was saying that because its design by BMW for BMW, the sound you will achieve will be better than Dension etc?.

What do you think??.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Feelgood wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I called BMW today and they said that they can fit a kit that works through the multi function steering wheel, but I would lose the use of my 6 CD changer in the back. Unit costs €155 Inc Vat + installation cost.

The guy was saying that because its design by BMW for BMW, the sound you will achieve will be better than Dension etc?.

What do you think??.

I thought at one stage BMW were installing the Dension interface ( Ned78 should know.... )

€155 + i'd say about the same again for fitting in bmw, remember they'll charge you for an hours labour either way...

If i was you i'd pick up on of the Dension interfaces of Ebay ( i think mine was about €60 brand new sealed in a box), with the correct wiring to connect to the CD changer and put it in the boot....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Good

Bad:

I also have Dension kit - very impressed with it!!! The ID tags? where do you turn these on? Through the Dension menu on the iPod or through the stereo - Mine is an e46 - pretty sure that it is the Business Player (single cd on the head unit)

I too left mine in the boot - much safer - and you don't have to take the iPod out each time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

When my wife uses the iPod she has it set to UI - User Interface, the iPod looks as it does normally and you can control it as normal, you can also use the steering wheel buttons.

Best of both worlds :)

Advertisement