Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing chicken fillets

• 22-11-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi kinda a dumb question.

If I freeze a packet of chicken fillets that says "use immediately once opened" does this mean I have to cook them all at once and reheat any ones I don't want to eat there and then.
    Or is it ok to leave an opened packet of frozen fillets in the freezer to save for later.

Also if I do reheat any leftover chicken, how long and what temp should I do it at?
    And is it ok to eat leftover chicken cold if I store it in the fridge.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tech77 wrote: »
    Hi kinda a dumb question.
    No question about cooking is dumb, especially not about freezing/cooking chicken.

Better to ask than to poison yourself. :)

And we are a generally friendly bunch on this forum anyway, everyone will be glad to help.
    If I freeze a packet of chicken fillets that says "use immediately once opened" does this mean I have to cook them all at once and reheat any ones I don't want to eat there and then.
    Now, I usually buy chicken fillets when I see them on special.

I seperate them into freezer bags, for use one at a time. If I need more than one, I take more than one out.

Quick Edit here; Even if they say eat immediately after opening, I freeze the ones I'm not using straight away.
    Or is it ok to leave an opened packet of frozen fillets in the freezer to save for later.
    Better to bag them, otherwise they might get "freezer burn".
    Also if I do reheat any leftover chicken, how long and what temp should I do it at?
    You need to make sure re-heated chicken is PIPING hot.

When I'm cooking frozen chicken meals, that I've cooked myself, I start off on a low heat to thaw the chicken, then once the sauce is liquid again, I up the temp and make sure the chicken is hot, very hot, before eating.
    And is it ok to eat leftover chicken cold if I store it in the fridge.
    Yep, have you ever seen that chicken sandwich filling in delicatessens? Like Chicken Curry, or Madras, or something else?

That is cooked chicken that has been stored in a fridge and served cold.

I'd say a maximum of three days, but personally I'd make sure to eat it the next day at the very latest.

Also, ensure you let the chicken cool completely before transferring to the fridge, ie, do not put hot chicken directly into the fridge.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

DesF wrote: »
    No question about cooking is dumb, especially not about freezing/cooking chicken.

Better to ask than to poison yourself. :)

And we are a generally friendly bunch on this forum anyway, everyone will be glad to help.

Now, I usually buy chicken fillets when I see them on special.

I seperate them into freezer bags, for use one at a time. If I need more than one, I take more than one out.

Quick Edit here; Even if they say eat immediately after opening, I freeze the ones I'm not using straight away.

Better to bag them, otherwise they might get "freezer burn".

You need to make sure re-heated chicken is PIPING hot.

When I'm cooking frozen chicken meals, that I've cooked myself, I start off on a low heat to thaw the chicken, then once the sauce is liquid again, I up the temp and make sure the chicken is hot, very hot, before eating.

Yep, have you ever seen that chicken sandwich filling in delicatessens? Like Chicken Curry, or Madras, or something else?

That is cooked chicken that has been stored in a fridge and served cold.

I'd say a maximum of three days, but personally I'd make sure to eat it the next day at the very latest.

Also, ensure you let the chicken cool completely before transferring to the fridge, ie, do not put hot chicken directly into the fridge.

You're welcome.

OK thanks, i'll get some freezer bags :)
    But "freezer burn" on chicken left in an opened packet wouldn't be dangerous would it?

Also one more thing:
    If you don't freeze it but put in the fridge instead- is it ok to leave uncooked chicken in an opened packet in the fridge (until its bb date of course).
    (even if it does say on the packet "use immediately after opening")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i dont think ive ever seen a warning like that on fresh chicken filets.
    if they are fresh fillets they will be fine,
    if your concerned, put them in an airtight container or wrap with cling film to prevent

are you sure they arent processed filelts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

subway wrote: »
    i dont think ive ever seen a warning like that on fresh chicken filets. if they are fresh fillets they will be fine, if your concerned, put them in an airtight container or wrap with cling film to prevent are you sure they arent processed filelts?

OK thanks.
    No they're ordinary tesco chicken fillets.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, I've seen the warning myself on Tesco Chicken.

It's there so people don't buy tonnes of them and just leave them in the fridge for weeks, to go off and kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

so wahat tesco are saying is go by the BBD on the pack,
    but if your throwing out the packaging and are a bit thick you should eat them stragiht away, lest you forget the BBD and eat mouldy chicken a few weeks down the line :D

Advertisement