Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trying to replace vista with xp

• 22-11-2007 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi everyone

i have a laptop about 5 weeks now it has vista on it any i want to get rid of it. it cant read my mp3 player and cant organise anything on it. i really want to get xp on the machine i downloaded xp service pack 2(well think i did) and ive blank dvd cd's so if i burn it onto that what do i do from there?
    its driving me mad think im going to end up and buying a copy out of a computer shop..think its dear enough 60 or 70?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

No offence man , but get someone to do it for you , from your post , you clearly have no idea what your doing and will only make things worse ,

If you dont know any tech people , pay someone to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If your laptop is that new, you may have problems with XP drivers - I recently wiped off vista & replaced it with XP SP2 on my HP laptop, only to find there were no XP sound drivers available for it.....

Contacted the manufacturers & was told there was no way round it, so I'm back on Vista....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I seriously don't know why you guys are whining about vista.
    If your current applications don't work with it, get a new one.
    Vista is far more faster, secure than XP.
    Spend a couple of days on it, type a question in the help when you are stuck and you will be sorted out.

A bit of change has never killed anybody

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can buy a laptop for less than than the full retail price of the full version of Microsoft Office.

The Americans have a saying "if it works, it's obsolete"
    When the Russians have a manned launch they use what is essentially a modified 50 year old ICBM design.
    Which system is cheaper and more reliable ?

If the laptop came with Vista BUSINESS then you are allowed to install XP PRO , other wise you would have to buy a retail or upgrade copy. You can't use an OEM license. Microsoft's rules.

Drivers for vista will appear over time, if the mp3 player has a brand name it , someone may already have found a solution. Eg there is a tiny 180KB java script that will load stuff to Sony players , when their own bloat ware won't. Sony also get a black mark for not providing drivers for XP on some laptops.

There several speed ups for vista and yes the interface is even worse than Luna (XP / Fisher Price) but it is more secure, though you can tweak up XP with third party freeware too.

Advertisement