Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse meat in Galway?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Does anyone know anywhere in Galway that sells horse meat?

I know it is not very popular here or in Britain, but it is available in just about every other European country and from what I understand is pretty healthy as far as meat goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

padraig71 wrote: »
    horse meat

Am I alone here in a WTF? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yellowellie

Am I alone here in a WTF? :eek:

No

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

I know it is not very popular here or in Britain, but it is available in just about every other European country and from what I understand is pretty healthy as far as meat goes.

i like trying weird food,have even had aligator but horse just sounds Wrong.You no veg is healthy too and less odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'v wanted to try this also. It takes a fairly twisted kind of person to say it's ok to kill a cow but not a horse. They are practically the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

tuxy wrote: »
    They are practically the same thing.

:D

I'd like to see you milk a horse .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I was served horse meat in a school in France (school trip).

Had no idea till the next day, was like beef to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

If it tastes anything like zebra then its brutal:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

5times wrote: »

"you can milk just about anything with nipples"
    "i got nipples greg,can you milk me"

:D classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I know Joyces in K'cara do Ostrich,Kangaroo etc,might have a bit of luck there.Or just wait till raceweek next year and when a horse falls and busts its leg ask if you can have a bit after its shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ya they sell it in the same place they sell kitten hats and baby meat. You sir disgust me, good day.

:p I can get you a live horse all you need is transport and the will to kill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I believe Frank Dunlop may be able to sort you out for a leg of horse.

Oooh, arch political satire. I feel like a Bull Island writer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

padi89 wrote: »
    I know Joyces in K'cara do Ostrich,Kangaroo etc,might have a bit of luck there.

Yeah, but how long has it been in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

5times wrote: »

Haha. Or a cow win a Gold Cup at Cheltenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The main difference in my mind is that cattle (and not cows by the way people you rarely eat cows as they are much to valuable to kill) are specifically bred to be eaten. They are fed certain foods, killed at a certain age and killed in a certain way. It is the meaning of their life to be eaten. I don't think anyone in Ireland or Britain is rearing horses for meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

kevmy wrote: »
    The main difference in my mind is that cattle (and not cows by the way people you rarely eat cows as they are much to valuable to kill) are specifically bred to be eaten. They are fed certain foods, killed at a certain age and killed in a certain way. It is the meaning of their life to be eaten. I don't think anyone in Ireland or Britain is rearing horses for meat.

What a ridiculous statement to make.

Humans have been killing humans from the beginning of time. Does that mean that we live to die?

Any living thing that experiences pain is equal to another in the right to live. Killing a horse is no worse than killing a cow and vice versa.

"They are killed in a certain way": How is the way they are killed any different to the way a horse is slaughtered?

"It is the meaning of their life to be eaten": says who?

kraggy wrote: »

Humans have been killing humans from the beginning of time. Does that mean that we live to die?
    Soldiers do.

Any living thing that experiences pain is equal to another in the right to live. Killing a horse is no worse than killing a cow and vice versa.
    That's true it makes no difference really, when you put it like that I guess there's nothing wrong with eating a horse. Are there any french restaurants in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

The main difference in my mind is that cattle (and not cows by the way people you rarely eat cows as they are much to valuable to kill) are specifically bred to be eaten.

AFAIK its cows that we all eat as almost all male cattle slautered here are for the export market.

Also i dont see why horse is any different if its bred the right way...ie all it consumes is registered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Yeah, but how long has it been in the fridge.

:D yeah true.From what i remember though its seemed to be in airtight wrapping ,preservation of some sorts and had loooooonnnnggggg bb dates on them.It would have to be really for shipping around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'd be well up for some horse. It's got higher creatine (or Creatinine) levels than beef. Serge Nubret swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

gourmet burger

• Advertisement

gourmet burger
    Is that the name of the horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I prob should go under a different usename for this post, but I attended a well known galway county boarding school where we got fed it all the time....I loved the stuff

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is that the name of the horse?
    If it's not, it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

On a side note, how many of you expect to be able to eat red-meat every day of the week?

Between July 28th and August 3rd.

Just make sure you don't get caught.

SyxPak wrote: »
    On a side note, how many of you expect to be able to eat red-meat every day of the week?
    Whats this about a fast or something? I expect to eat everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

No because we are not bred specifically so that our meat tastes nice. We are not brought up and cared for on farms for the sole purpose of sending us to the meat factory after a couple of years.

"They are killed in a certain way": How is the way they are killed any different to the way a horse is slaughtered?
    Your right killing a cow is no worse than killing a horse. But since most meat factories in Ireland would probably refuse to kill horse (mainly on an economic basis) then ask yourself how are the horses killed? In meat factories they have to abide to certain standards in how animals are killed, to make sure it's done humanly and quickly. If horses aren't killed by professionals in a slaughter house environment then they probably suffer more pain and a longer death
    "It is the meaning of their life to be eaten": says who?
    The farmer, the consumer, the butcher, the meat factory worker. Your not grasping my point. Cattle are bred by us and fed by us to give us meat that is tender and tastes as nice as possible to us. This has being going on for thousands of years. We are natural predators to cattle but we have found a more sustainable and profitable way for ourselves to do it instead of hunting. If their wasn't farms the number of cattle in the wild would decrease rapidly and possibly be extinct (see bison, buffalo)
    Horses on the other hand have been found by generations of humans to have different uses to us. Instead of breeding them to be meaty and fat we breed them to be strong, muscley and fast. This is so they can help us work our land or transport us from place to place or pull things we aren't able to or provide us with entertainment by racing, jumping and hunting. This means they aren't meant to be eaten as they aren't bred to taste nice as they would be too muscley and tough.

prendy wrote: »
    AFAIK its cows that we all eat as almost all male cattle slautered here are for the export market.

Bwwahahahahah!! Sorry that was just a reflex! Very few cows are eaten in Ireland or any other country (Western ones anyway not sure about the rest). Almost all beef in Ireland comes from bullocks. They are usually killed around 30 months old. Much older and the meat is too tough. Much younger and there is not enough meat on them to be any good to the farmer.
    Some heifers are killed for meat but it's still pretty rare (btw heifer is a female bovine that has not had a calf thus not making it a cow). Almost all cows are used as either dairy or suckler in Ireland. When they are killed for meat they are usually old so really tough so they might go into burger or some such. Often though they die of disease or old age and are not used for meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ScumLord wrote: »
    Whats this about a fast or something? I expect to eat everyday.

No.

Do you expect to eat red meat every day? ie. beef, pork, lamb, horse etc.
    In terms of energy consumed to produce red-meat through animal feed/breeding livestock, it's an order of magnitude more efficient to use the land and resources to feed ourselves directly.
    Our digestive systems are capable of processing a very wide range of food.
    Biodiversity is doubleplusgood, yet today we eat & produce a very limited range of foodstuffs. Remember the potatoe famine?

I suggest mixing up our diets a bit, buy stuff that's in-season, locally produced (when possible), eat more fish, veg, poultry and less red-meat.
    Cook more tastey, eat less sh1t.

Oh, and get used to rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Thanks everyone for the tips. TBH, I'm in no mad rush to find a horse butcher, it was just one of those late-night thought processes - I was wondering if I could find rabbit or venison in Galway butchers and then my mind wandered to horse. I don't even eat meat more than about once a week.

However, I find interesting the irrationality of many people's arguments when comparing horses to other (potential) food animals, and the cultural or anthropological aspect with respect to attitudes here and in Britain versus the rest of Europe. I guess I'll probably wait to try it till I see it offered on the continent some time.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the tips. TBH, I'm in no mad rush to find a horse butcher, it was just one of those late-night thought processes - I was wondering if I could find rabbit or venison in Galway butchers and then my mind wandered to horse. I don't even eat meat more than about once a week.
    For venison and the like, I think Morton's have a decent selection. You'll pay a fortune mind.

Advertisement