Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse meat in Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

SyxPak wrote: »
    I suggest mixing up our diets a bit, buy stuff that's in-season, locally produced (when possible), eat more fish, veg, poultry and less red-meat.
    Cook more tastey, eat less sh1t.
    I'd agree with eating local food when available, it's better all round, for the farmer, the consumer, the environment and the poor animal getting eaten. Much better class of food and not nearly as expensive as people are lead to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Oh, and get used to rice.

brown rice especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I had horse in Belgium,
    tastes just like beef really.

Although I personally find it a hard position to defend that we can't eat horse but can eat other animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Although I personally find it a hard position to defend that we can't eat horse but can eat other animals.

It's a form of political correctness. Like chasing foreigners down the road with a stick.... we're just not allowed to do it anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've eaten horse in France. It tasted fine.

They rear them for the meat market there. Its just not part of our culture here to eat horse. I doubt you could find any butcher that would sell it (maybe an ethnic butcher would).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

No.

Do you expect to eat red meat every day? ie. beef, pork, lamb, horse etc.
    In terms of energy consumed to produce red-meat through animal feed/breeding livestock, it's an order of magnitude more efficient to use the land and resources to feed ourselves directly.
    Our digestive systems are capable of processing a very wide range of food.
    Biodiversity is doubleplusgood, yet today we eat & produce a very limited range of foodstuffs. Remember the potatoe famine?

I suggest mixing up our diets a bit, buy stuff that's in-season, locally produced (when possible), eat more fish, veg, poultry and less red-meat.
    Cook more tastey, eat less sh1t.

Oh, and get used to rice.

I agree with almost everything you said except the part about the famine being a 'potato(e) famine'.. potatoes had little to do with it apart from being a trigger.

I'll shut up now and go to a political thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

inisboffin wrote: »
    I agree with almost everything you said except the part about the famine being a 'potato(e) famine'.. potatoes had little to do with it apart from being a trigger.

I'll shut up now and go to a political thread ;)

Don't let them shut you up!!!

I know people who refuse to cause it a famine because there was enough food leaving the country in terms of wheat, barley, pigs and beef to feed pretty much all the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Had horse meat in Ljubljana in Slovenia last year, i think it was mixed with beef. Tasted fine to me; a little tough. Would try it again.

m.096.jpg

Advertisement