Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse meat

• 23-11-2007 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any suppliers of horse meat in Ireland? I know it's not popular here, but I'm interested in trying it and have read that it's a pretty healthy meat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've no idea where you could get horse flesh, but you could try contacting speciality butchers online or through goldenpages.ie & ask them where you may get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I ate it one time in Japan, and I have to say it was The Most Delicious meat I ever tasted. It was like a gorgeous roast beef. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They use a lot of horsemeat in France, do you know anyone that is going over on a regular basis?
    You could ask them to bring some back for you.
    Horse is very tasty and quite sweet, I have eaten it in two places, Iceland being one and France being the other.
    Foal steaks are the absolute business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Janet Street Porter was promoting horse meat on the last F-word series. For some strange reason I couldn't get the word cannibal out of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's actually quite tasty - like strong beef. I bought some in a supermarket in Venice and fried it up. Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Something doesn't sit right with me about eating horse meat.

I used to see it on the shelves in my local supermarket in Brussels and it always made me shudder.

I guess perhaps it's an Irish thing, but I think if you go down the route of eating horsemeat then don't stop there - try cat meat and dog meat too.

Pigs are far more intelligent than horses and we scoff them every day. I can see why people dislike the idea of a horse but it doesn't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Horses are beautiful animals, pigs are not. Thats why it bothers people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I used to see it on the shelves in my local supermarket in Brussels and it always made me shudder.

I guess perhaps it's an Irish thing, but I think if you go down the route of eating horsemeat then don't stop there - try cat meat and dog meat too.

I'd agree with you. I'm not a huge meat eater, and I have a bit of a problem eating animals that I like. Lamb, while tasty, freaks me out because lambs are like puppies! They're all cute and fluffy with waggly tails.

Would you eat mutton Faith?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I worked in a restaurant in Dublin (no names) where we served horse as beef!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've eaten horsemeat and I keep horses, however I wouldnt eat dog.

I think its different somehow to eat something, which also eats meat.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Would you eat mutton Faith?

I never have. I've heard it's quite tough? If someone gave it to me, cooked and all, I'd try it. Sheep are different from lambs though. Lambs are cute and fun, once they grow up, they're just boring and docile :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Faith wrote: »
    I never have. I've heard it's quite tough? If someone gave it to me, cooked and all, I'd try it. Sheep are different from lambs though. Lambs are cute and fun, once they grow up, they're just boring and docile :).

So you'd eat cock but not chicken ;)

I saw one of TG4's subtitled french movies a while back. Can't remember how it was part of the plot but it showed a horse being slaughtered. Safe to say I've never had the urge to try it since

nipplenuts wrote: »

What a line

>_>

That is not the time nor place for that discussion!

Oh, did you mean fowl? ;)

:DLol. She would alright Id say;)

Afaik.. they slaughter horses like cattle. Bolt through the head followed by a rod being stuck in and they mash the brains up. Ok that sounds unpleasant but the rod is used to speed up death.
    Really all animals slaughtered for meat are killed in a similar way.

Yep. I think thats what they did, then hung it upside down, followed by a cut to the throat. Not very pleasent really

• Advertisement

Does thinking about it really put any one off eating meat?

I ventured into the vegetarian forum for the first time today, they've clearly taken over my brain!

Nah, it tastes too good for it to be wrong

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Yep. I think thats what they did, then hung it upside down, followed by a cut to the throat. Not very pleasent really

They're brain dead by the time this happens... so theres no suffering at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Dog is actually really really nice. Haven't tried cat but will get round to it in the next few months.

Btw if you like squid/octopuss.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiJkdOZEjXU

Its REALLY good. I usually am not a huge fan of squid/octopuss but it really tastes 10 times better this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

horse meat is the best meat I've ever tried, you can't even compare it to the best beef cuts, it's far better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

I worked in a restaurant in Dublin (no names) where we served horse as beef!!!

Tell us more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Tell us more....

be serious!!! horse meat and beef have no relation whatsoever and, above all, horse meat is MORE expensive than beef! Anyway, the taste is completely different, and I'm talking *completely*, horse meat is sweet; if people eat horse thinking that it's beef, they don't really deserve eating in a restaurants.

Faith wrote: »
    Does thinking about it really put any one off eating meat?

Nope, not in the slightest. I grew up on a farm, I've helped at slaughter-time. I have absolutely no problems with it. Generally slaughter is done quite quickly so as to minimise the suffering. No decent person wants to cause undue suffering. The throat is cut so as to drain out the blood and stop it pooling in the meat.

The only thing I have a problem with is when the animal doesn't have a good life, i.e. battery-farmed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

be serious!!! horse meat and beef have no relation whatsoever
    Depends on what cuts and how you cook them, to be honest.
    above all, horse meat is MORE expensive than beef!
    Not where I live.
    if people eat horse thinking that it's beef, they don't really deserve eating in a restaurants.
    Funny...I'd have said that people with attitudes about other people's tastes are the ones who shouldn't be let in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

fits wrote: »
    I think its different somehow to eat something, which also eats meat.

So you don't eat pork then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement