Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse meat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

bonkey wrote: »
    Funny...I'd have said that people with attitudes about other people's tastes are the ones who shouldn't be let in.

I don't want to start a flame, but it's not a matter of attitude, the flavour of the various meat (horse, beef, pork and so forth) is completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭fits

So you don't eat pork then?

Do they still feed pigs with animal protein? I thought that didnt happen anymore since the whole BSE thing. I'm sure you're about to enlighten me however :D.

Anyway I keep both horses and dogs, and I'd eat horse but not dog. I cant explain exactly why I draw that line, the meat eating factor is one aspect. The symbiotic relationship dogs have with humans is another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd eat any meat tbh.

I've eaten Kangaroo in various forms. Steak, sausages etc.

Ostrich, Croc, Camel.

I have no great love for dogs, so I'd try that. Probably want it cooked and served in a traditional way though, traditional to the area of the world where eating dog is not frowned on.

Cat? I can't imagine there'd be much meat on a cat tbh. I reckon it'd be a bit strinky and tough. I'd try it though, just not my cat.

The reason I say that about cats, is because I've eaten possum pie, and possums look like larger than average cats. It was disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

fits wrote: »
    Do they still feed pigs with animal protein? I thought that didnt happen anymore since the whole BSE thing. I'm sure you're about to enlighten me however :D.

No...no enlightenment. I was looking at it from a different direction.

Pigs, like dogs, are omnivores.

If you'll eat pork from a pig raised on a 'vegetarian' diet, then presumably you'd do the same for dog....only you clear up that you won't eat dog, so I would suggest that the "meat eating" aspect is misplaced reasoning.

Generally, the reason people draw the line at dogs and horses is because of the nature of the relationships we form with those two particular animals. Some people bond more with one than the other, some with neither, some with both.
    The symbiotic relationship dogs have with humans is another.

Like you say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I don't want to start a flame, but it's not a matter of attitude,
    Passing judgement or offering comemnt on other people's entitlements based on your opinion of their tastes is most certainly attitude.
    the flavour of the various meat (horse, beef, pork and so forth) is completely different.

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you. However, I wouldn't think less of someone who couldn't tell the difference, where you apparently do. That's the point I was making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Generally speaking, I'd agree with you. However, I wouldn't think less of someone who couldn't tell the difference, where you apparently do. That's the point I was making.

I wasn't that serious :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭fits

Generally, the reason people draw the line at dogs and horses is because of the nature of the relationships we form with those two particular animals. Some people bond more with one than the other, some with neither, some with both.

I know this is not what you're trying to say, but I don't believe I have less of a bond with my horse on average than other horse owners who wouldn't eat horsemeat. I certainly wouldn't eat my own horse. I think an important difference is that a horse, (or at least most horses), don't really care who feeds or exercises it as long as its needs are met. If I headed off for the horizon, my mare would think 'see ya' and go back to munching on her grass and it wouldnt bother her if I never saw her again.

On the other hand a dog would follow its owner through hell or high water as thats their nature, its what they've evolved to be. They are loyal to their humans and provide protection and companionship in return for their food and shelter. Obviously the dog is not held in as high a regard in other countries. So obviously there are cultural differences to be accounted for too.

Im not really getting to a point in this post so I'll end the ramble there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I wouldn't mind trying it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I find it incredible that people can saunter into supermarkets, pick up a clingfilmed side of beef on some yellow polystyrene with no reservations whatsoever and are then revolted by the idea of scoffing some Shergar or Lassie. Furthermore, when you put some thought into it, one of the most popular and versatile foodstuffs is eggs, which are effectively the unborn foetus of a chicken.

Back to the original topic, I've tried horse meat, 1994 in Le Mans. The cooler we had with us had been left out in 30 degree weather for a few days, for some reason we didn't realise the meat was gone off and unfortunately I was the first one to eat it...absolutely rancid. Though I haven't given up hope yet and am eager to try it again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Corega wrote: »
    I find it incredible that people can saunter into supermarkets, pick up a clingfilmed side of beef on some yellow polystyrene with no reservations whatsoever and are then revolted by the idea of scoffing some Shergar or Lassie. Furthermore, when you put some thought into it, one of the most popular and versatile foodstuffs is eggs, which are effectively the unborn foetus of a chicken.

For me anyway, it's simply that I don't like the thought of eating an animal that I'd keep as a pet. I wouldn't keep hens, cows, pigs, etc as pets, whereas I would keep horses, dogs, cats and the odd lamb. I love my pets as I do my friends and family. I wouldn't be comfortable eating my friend if she dropped dead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

horse is delicious. i lived in france for a year and used to eat it all the time. it was actually cheaper than a similar looking beef steak, and nicer in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Previously somebody said that horse steak tastes different to beef. Which I believe it is true. But much closer than other meats.
    That said however, noticing this difference its very much a conscience thing.

Tell somebody that this is a piece of horse steak, and they will likely spot a difference. The sweeter flavour. But that is when they are looking for it.
    If unaware they might not know, say in a resturant you order steak, out comes a (horse) steak with pepper sauce. You will likely not think anything of the different flavour, if you even notice, maybe put it down to the sauce. Lots of places have unique flavour steak due to the cooking method, Spur and Luigi Malones come to mind.

Now ostrich steak (yes, they give steaks, closer to beef than chicken), thats a the weirdest i've had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Wouldn't mind giving it a go, I'd try anything as long as it is killed properly.

So, any places in Dublin that sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

We eat it here all the time, very common meat to see in the supermarkets. There is a great restaurant around the corner from me, oddly when the name is translated to english it means "The Suckling Horse" and they make the best horse steak i've ever tasted! In fact that's dinner decided for tonight! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement