Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any end in sight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What sort of decent people hang around bonfires at 1:50am?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bonfires are a pretty common sight all year round in certain areas in Limerick. A lot of the time it is there for warmth whilst guys "bushdrink" or smoke some weed.

I am not comparing these bonfires to when cars get burnt out or rubbish being dumped.

Personally it would not be my kind of thing, but I have often driven from Castletroy to Dooradoyle at night and driven past bonfires on the greens along Childers Road. It is a bit harsh to ask what kind of decent person would be at a bonfire at 1:50am. There are plenty of scumbags in this city, but standing by a bonfire does not make this lad one.

It is a bit like driving up O' Connell Street at 4am at the weekend and asking what kind of decent person would be staggering drunk on the street. It is just too sweeping a generalisation to make imho.

The Gardai have commented that the lad was not known to them, and that he was meant to be a very quiet lad, who has a 12 month old child.

I think the question should not be about what kind of people are at a bonfire, but rather what kind of person would use an axe to brutally hack another person to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sadly I'm not being in the least bit harsh, ordinary decent law abiding people do not hang around bonfires at 2 o'clock in the morning thereby avoiding getting themselves into situations where they are hacked to death with an axe. There is more to this than meets the eye.

I'd bet good money that the decent people of that area, of whom I'm sure there are plenty, were asleep in their beds behind locked doors at that time of night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Sadly I'm not being in the least bit harsh, ordinary decent law abiding people do not hang around bonfires at 2 o'clock in the morning thereby avoiding getting themselves into situations where they are hacked to death with an axe. There is more to this than meets the eye.

i agree Hagar...deffo more to this than meets the eye...not a nice thing to happen tho.such a way to go.
    and with a young daughter it makes the case all the more sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

prendy wrote: »
    i agree Hagar...deffo more to this than meets the eye...not a nice thing to happen tho.such a way to go.
    and with a young daughter it makes the case all the more sad.

On the radio that police should be giving more protection to witnesses to crimes, starting to look like the lad was shut up before he could stand up in court. The two weapons used on him are being touted as a hatchet and a meathook. Nasty way to go.

One caller to the station named a well known crime family in the area as being those involved in the court case. One with a surname starting with C. How true or false this is, is another story, and I would take all such reports with a large pinch of salt until the full story is out there. Regardless of this, I hope that those involved get caught and charged and locked away for a long time, as anybody capable of killing a person like that is a danger to anyone whose path they cross.

• Advertisement
Advertisement