Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 Opel Corsa steering problem

Options
  • 23-11-2007 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi

My wifes car, a 2003 Opel Corsa 5dr 1ltr had its first NCT Monday gone. The car failed the Side Slip Test and the NCT said that one of the Tie Rods was loose. So I took the car to advanced yesterday was told it would cost 130 Euro, not to bad, so I left the car with them but got a call about 2 hours later and was told that the real problem was the steering rack needed to be replaced, and that was going to cost around 750 euro.
    I told them to hold off doing anything with the car, so when I went to pick it up I asked the guy in advanced was this a common problem, he said it was the first one he'd seen, but did say when he'd called Opel to see if they had a steering rack the guy in Opel passed a comment that they,d had a couple of steering racks go wrong on that year corsa.
    The car has only 13500miles, was'nt involved in any accidents and she's had it since new.
    Has any one else had a similiar problem with the Corsa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Get a second opinion. Seriously. I wouldn't put any faith in any diagnosis by Advance Pit Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

crosstownk wrote: »
    Get a second opinion. Seriously. I wouldn't put any faith in any diagnosis by Advance Pit Stop.

...........I agree completely AND if you bought through a francised Opel dealer I would make the call to them ! If its a known problem Opel may do something for you !

Otherwise get a second hand rack from a known good car from Traynors in NI.

Good luck !

Funny that this NCT side slip test has been the subject of a few threads here on Boards lately !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Steering rack for slip slide test ??? Sounds a bit dodge to me, standard thing is the rack blowing a seal.

I had to get the rack replaced on my 00 Octavia a few months back. got one for 220 euro from Traynors, was off an Audi A3, could have stuck on the rack from a Seat Leon Cupra R, 2.5 Turning Circle as opposed to 3.0 (slightly sportier) but decided against it :)

Advertisement