Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have DS, wanna play FF. Recommendation

Options
  • 23-11-2007 2:21am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

I have a DS and wanna get into the FF world. I've tried it here and there but the lifestyle I had wouldn't allow me to get into one or I made a bad choice - Final Fantasy Tactics did nothing for me...

Now I'm travelling and so find myself with many an hour to burn here and there.

Any suggestions would be good. I hear FFIII is decent but hardcore for new players. Maybe I heard wrong..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

I didn't like FFIII on the DS......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is a really boring and dull game and is no way a reflection on the rest of the series. If you have a PSP check out Final Fantasy Tactics on it, it's one of the greatest games ever made. The Tactics advance games don't deserve to bear the FF Tactics name.

Final Fantasy III is an excellent game it's just a little bit old school. Don't be expecting an emotionally rewarding plot or deep combat. FF was really only finding it's feet during the time it was made and the storytelling would only be prefected in FFVI and the combat system in the game would be refined in FFV into it's brilliant job system. It's definitely worth getting and playing but maybe you should play some of the re-releases on the GBA first since they are better. Also the game really isn't as tough as some reviews make out. I didn't have to do any levelling up so far and the only annoying thing is the lack of save points in dungeons but it only causes a few annoying moments.

FFIV, FFV and FFVI are available as GBA games are are much better than FFIII.

FFIV is a brilliant game with a decent uncomplicated plot and is really just loads of fun to play. There is only one reason I can give for not getting this is that Square Enix is working on a 3D update of this game for the DS. Lovely soundtrack (as usual for FF).

FFV uses a more refined version of the job system in FFIII and imo is one of the best RPG battle systems ever created as a result. The storyline isn't the best but the game s just heaps of fun.

FFVI is the one you should definitely get. It is far and away the best Final Fantasy game yet made despite what the FFVII fanboys think. Wonderful storyline, gorgeous 2D visuals, a huge cast of characters that are all unique, great battle system, absolutely loaded with secrets and Uematsu's best soundtrack to date. It's unmissable. Only bad points are that the GBA has some really stupid cut made to it to make it more kid friendly. I'm not sure of the exact details but I do know that during the interogation scene Celes doesn't take any punches.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Well that's a more complete reply than I ever expected. Cheers retro.

I'm probably going to pick up some of your GBA recommendations - Graphics aren't my priority so it sounds like I'll check out IV, V and VI.

Looking forward to getting stuck in now. Muchos Gracias..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

agree as retro said:) especially love FFVI to bits!every story behind every character is very very touching and unforgetable!!as so you may guess,the following FF series has the shadow of FFVI behind...recommend play on TV for this perfect game...

for portable console tho,Tactic on PSP would be the best choice you can have,best to play while you are travalling or sort.

is the FFXII revenant wing out here yet?dont think it is a decent game but think will be entertaining while travelling:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    is the FFXII revenant wing out here yet?dont think it is a decent game but think will be entertaining while travelling:p

Don't think it's out but it's not meant to be the may west. Get yourself Fire Emblem on the GBA instead.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't think it's out but it's not meant to be the may west. Get yourself Fire Emblem on the GBA instead.

Revenant Wings is out here in Auckland on Saturday - going to think about picking it up - no rush though because i'm starting to get into FFVI. Story seems good but since I've not been able to get a good few hours spare at once yet I keep forgetting what I have to do next. I knew I had to go to south figaro for example but forgot what direction and what to do when I got there.

As a long Zelda fan its a kind of game that I think I will enjoy a lot - just have to get used to the random battles system. Sort of weird for me to not see the fight coming unlike most adventure games. Also, I know when I'm doing certain things now that I will look back later and realise I should have done them differently or better. Akin to starting a baldur's gate or neverwinter nights game and finding out later that you missed a ton of XP points and so could have been a much higher level but its too late to go back.

I guess that's what makes a game replayable...wanting to go back and do it better each time...

I'm not sure revenant wings is worth it since it's getting poor-average reviews.

I wouldn't worry much about forgetting to do stuff in an FF game. Levelling up happens along the way in most FF games and japanese RPGs so there is no need to do any grinding unlike PC RPGs. Also the choices you make don't effect the storyline which is a linear affair (although there are a few in FFVI that change small things. Note: Wait for Shadow later in the game ;) ). Console RPGs are simpler affairs to there PC bretheren. They rely more on telling a cracking story wth brilliant characters than forcing the player to do lots of level grinding and making storyline choices. Actually in JRPGs you can ruin the game for yourself by level grinding. In FFXII, FFVI and FFX in particular the boss battles are very tactical affairs that are brilliant when you figure them out at low levels. At over high levels they become really dull and easy. Later on in the game you can go back and do all the side quests anyway.

cool.

Yea I'm playing and I cant seem to get seem to get my brain working. I love how there are so many little things and I've just discovered how they use the background to hide secret passages and what not. Met shadow at the bar in south figaro and i'm looking forward to when our paths cross. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get that old dude a friggin bottle of cider... :)

As for revenant wings seems to be getting ok reviews:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/935614.asp

Question: Is there only so many battles per room/area or if you walk around in circles for hours will you continually get into battles?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

haha,i got a fire emblem on GBA,forget which one tho....deadly game!nice story etc etc....but one thing makes me wouldnt play it while i am not at home....i really dont want my character die *accidentally* and restart the whole battle again...:p the only game on earth that makes me kinda worry all the time....

Question: Is there only so many battles per room/area or if you walk around in circles for hours will you continually get into battles?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

:Dyes...after you walk the area/room for about 999 encounters you will guarantee 30seconds no enemy encounter!tell us when you did that;)

p/s:
    tips:you can pick up pretty much everything at the late stage of the game...just few things you may missed it and can never go back...here is one thing...
    you will get a rare but weak(nearly no selling value) weapon for shadow,dont ever sell it.AND,at some stage,if he save your a*s,dont leave without him...ah...spoil for good....hope ya dont mind :) you need to figure out the last step tho...hehe
    there are tonnes of hidden stuffs/magic/weapon/characters!try not to use a guide for the first.enjoy the game!i think ya are really lucky for playing FF6 as your first FF(is it?),not many new FF player is as lucky as ya :)

• Advertisement

It is my first. And so far I see what all the fuss is about.

I did eventually figure out the random battles thing - I stole a bandana off some ninja in a cave and wanted more of them for the others in my party so I had to fight about 15 fights to get them.

Prob the wrong attitude - maybe considered 'grinding'.

It is my first. And so far I see what all the fuss is about.

I did eventually figure out the random battles thing - I stole a bandana off some ninja in a cave and wanted more of them for the others in my party so I had to fight about 15 fights to get them.

Prob the wrong attitude - maybe considered 'grinding'.

haha,dont bother to do that if you think that's not funny:Dyou can always buy those weapon/armor later in the game.they manage to give you shortcut of getting better weapon/armour earlier than it supposed to appear in the shop,but you need to steal them/in treasure/hidden somewhere:p

trust me you will be like the rest of us hunting for every character best weapon/armour like a mad man in the late game....yes...only one weapon in the whole world for each of them...:Dsave your energy for that

Advertisement