Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car alarm menace

Options
  • 23-11-2007 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hey all,

I bought my car (98 Corolla) about a year ago, and the previous owner informed me that the alarm didn't work on it. No problem.
    However, the battery recently went dead, and now after charging it up , the alarm has kicked in on the car.
    This means whenever I open the door or turn the key in the ignition, the alarm goes off. (Not good at 9.30 in the night in a housing estate)I don't have any key thingie to disable it. If anyone can give me pointers on how to turn it off, that'd be brilliant. As it stands, my car is now working again but i can't go near it without the bloody siren alarm wailing at me :mad:
    I have an immobiliser key that fits in a slot in the glove compartment, and someone told me that there should be a slot under the bonnet for this also, which may turn off the alarm, but I havn't found one...

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Yosserh

I had the same problem once and the only way I could stop the alarm going off was to disconnect the leads of the alarm under the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yosserh wrote: »
    I had the same problem once and the only way I could stop the alarm going off was to disconnect the leads of the alarm under the bonnet.

+1

But got stickers fitted by a security company to make it look like I have an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

thanks for the replies. I would have no problem disconnecting the leads (I don't want the alarm anyway) - if only I knew which ones? Any pointers on what these leads normally look like or where they would be situated on a 98 corolla? Sorry but I'm clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Any idea as to what alarm it is?

Look for the siren under the bonnet,there'l most likey be a tap on it with a key slot for switching the unit on and off.If not its more than likely that the alarm brain and siren are all one unit,if you simply disconnect or cut the loom your going to immobilize the car.

Its impossible to tell you what wire to cut without knowing the type of alarm thats there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

crack open the alarm siren disconnect and seperate the 2 wires that are soldered to the keylock(wrap a bnit of elec tape around them so they wont join)

That should bypass the siren.

• Advertisement
Advertisement