Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor show from Cremo

Options
  • 23-11-2007 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

So I was banned for a week from the Portable Media Players forum for basically saying some lads advice on an iPod was as useful as telling the OP to use their toaster to update their iPod. A bit harsh but true none the less. This was apparently a personal attack hence the banning.

So I replied to the Cremos mail outlining my incredulity of the ban and basically telling him that it's no wonder that many people on other forums find boards.ie silly because of bannings like this without warning and to explain where the personal attack is.

Anyhow, Mr. Cremo didn't even have the courage or the courtesy to explain his decision or reply to me. Poor show old chap.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I take it that this is the thread... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055185934

Cremo obviously thought that your comments were bad enough to delete from your post. Mods aren't under any obligation to tell you about a banning.

On one hand you are discourteous to another poster & on the other hand you are now complaining that Cremo didn't have the courtesy to inform you of a banning.

Sauce for the goose, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Can't really comment. Your post was edited. If it was what you said, you posted off topic as well as a pretty harmless personal attack, attack all the samt tho. Suck it up its only a week.

Pot and kettle spring to mind re the couteous bit there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hill Billy, you can't comment as you haven't seen what was snipped.
    Words may be slightly different here but the snipped bit was something like this "You might as well be telling the OP to use a toaster to update his iPod".

How ridiculous was it to remove that ? If people find that a personal attack they wouldn't want to venture out in the real world too often.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I cant read the offending comment, but from what I can read, it seems heavyhanded. But then, I dont often look at that forum so I dont know what kind of muppetry Cremo has to deal with day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jip wrote: »
    it's no wonder that many people on other forums find boards.ie silly

Not that many though eh? ;)

• Advertisement

Don't kid yourself Giblet, I said people on other forums, not other people on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So I was banned for a week from the Portable Media Players forum for basically saying some lads advice on an iPod was as useful as telling the OP to use their toaster to update their iPod. A bit harsh but true none the less. This was apparently a personal attack hence the banning..

I've been trying to get my toaster to connect to my iPod for ages - how do you set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hill Billy, you can't comment as you haven't seen what was snipped.

You admitted in your first post that your comment was "a bit harsh". So maybe Cremo banning you was a bit harsh...?

As I said - Sauce for the goose...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You admitted in your first post that your comment was "a bit harsh". So maybe Cremo banning you was a bit harsh...?

As I said - Sauce for the goose...

I thought the mods held the position that its ok to attack the advice given in a post as long as the poster wasn't attacked

I personally don't agree with this but if that's the norm then I don't think he should have been banned for slagging the advice given

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Vegeta wrote: »
    I thought the mods held the position that its ok to attack the advice given in a post as long as the poster wasn't attacked

I personally don't agree with this but if that's the norm then I don't think he should have been banned for slagging the advice given

My flippant reply earlier aside, it is hard to tell if it's deserved or not now the post has been snipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

IMHO, it seems that it was the advice beeing attacked not the poster, so would say that this deserves a ban (even if it is only a week).
    Even the "attack" does not sound particularily malicious. Cant see the post though, so thats just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Don't kid yourself Giblet, I said people on other forums, not other people on this forum.

That's what I meant. People on other (crappy, small) forums.

Who gives a **** what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Giblet wrote: »
    That's what I meant. People on other (crappy, small) forums.

Who gives a **** what they say.

Not slagging you or anything and this is an OT comment but that reminds me of the current governments attitude

Bertie should get that on a t-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Vegeta wrote: »
    Not slagging you or anything and this is an OT comment but that reminds me of the current governments attitude

Bertie should get that on a t-shirt
    No, Bertie should get this on a T-shirt (heard him say it recently):

"It's all smokes and daggers."

Presume he meant a combination of 'smoke and mirrors' and 'cloak and dagger'. Brilliant all the same.

ps I use a gas-powered ipod that doubles as a toaster.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

For mods, the complete (reported) post is here.

Personally I think a ban was a bit harsh unless the OP has previously been warned etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I wish people would link to the post/thread they're talking about (thanks Ibid).

Personally, I feel a gentle nudge would have been sufficient here.

See what his response is to your PM, he may not have been about since you sent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ban does seem a bit harsh, unless the OP was already on a warning or something. Fair enough it was a condescending post, but a warning might have been more helpful for everyone involved. I don't see how it could be defined as a personal attack tbh...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So I replied to the Cremos mail outlining my incredulity of the ban and basically telling him that it's no wonder that many people on other forums find boards.ie silly because of bannings like this without warning and to explain where the personal attack is.

Anyhow, Mr. Cremo didn't even have the courage or the courtesy to explain his decision or reply to me. Poor show old chap.

1) "Mail" - what email address did you reply to? no-reply@boards.ie maybe? If I recall, you cant reply to any email from boards.

2) When did you "mail" Cremo? Its possible, yes mods have lives, he hasnt had a chance to respond yet. At least give 72hrs. If you did, fair enough - but refer back to point 1.

3) Muppetry response, to be fair, but unless your like that on the board in general - then a ban isnt deserved. Infraction / Warning thingy would have been better approach. But, until Cremo states his reasons for the ban its not fair for anyone to comment.

Remember:- There are two sides to every story.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Viewing the reported post, I find it hard to construe Jip's comment as a personal attack. Infact, I don't think it comes close to one. At worst, it's condescending, but that's about it. The 'Snip' wasn't even nessicary, never mind a ban!

Honestly, Cremo should put on a better show next time, probably with sock puppets:

Pets_com_Sock_Puppet.jpg

Seriously though, very harsh ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

In fact, thats a very helpful post - informed the user of what they needed to change, sorted things out. Out of line ban (and i never comment on these things, cept for the amusing ones, so you know its gotta be good :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Only seeing this now, tbh I did act very poorly, I was having a really bad day that day - personal life took a blow which i won't go into - and felt like I needed to vent it somehow.

Looking back at it with hindsight, it was very harsh and Jip has every right to be annoyed with me.

What I've tried to do with the Portable Media Players forum since I became a mod was to let things flow even if that meant there's an influx of newbie ipod questions that are based around the same basic topic, when I saw Jip's post I acted wrongly.

I've now unbanned Jip hope there's no hard feelings, and I won't let this happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dude you are letting the side down now....you should have made it permanent just to show what unbending nazis all mods are.

As for the rest of you mods disagreeing with the ban...Shame on you! Don't you know we have a Mod Clique Conspiracy to propagate?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In fairness to Cremo, he does have boneitis.

Cremo wrote: »
    I've now unbanned Jip hope there's no hard feelings, and I won't let this happen again.

No hard feelings at all, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

No hard feelings at all, fair play.
    Yay. Cremo for Taoiseach. :D

Advertisement