Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where will I get an IT consultant to implement my company's new software

• 23-11-2007 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

Consider the scenario,
    Company with 60 employees is implementing a new company-wide software system.
    They need a third party project/implementation manager with an IT background to implement the system. The job is 15 hours a week for 6 months.

Where will they find such a person ? ...without paying a large consultancy firm up to €1,000 per day (for somebody with an expensive suit and big car!)

To be honest , I am that person but am unsure how to find clients. I have 20+ years very relevant IT experience. I charge about €50 per hour.

The question is where/how should I be promoting myself???

Any views?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

dewsbury wrote: »
    Hi,

Consider the scenario,
    Company with 60 employees is implementing a new company-wide software system.
    They need a third party project/implementation manager with an IT background to implement the system. The job is 15 hours a week for 6 months.

Where will they find such a person ? ...without paying a large consultancy firm up to €1,000 per day (for somebody with an expensive suit and big car!)

To be honest , I am that person but am unsure how to find clients. I have 20+ years very relevant IT experience. I charge about €50 per hour.

The question is where/how should I be promoting myself???

Any views?

15 hours a week?
    Surely if you're implementing a new system it's all hands on deck until it is rolled out & the teething problems ironed out. I'd have thought more along the lines of 55hour weeks til the jobs done.

Also what assurances do you offer, I'd imagine the expensive suit clad consultants offer a bullet proof reputation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

chump wrote: »
    15 hours a week?
    I'd have thought more along the lines of 55hour weeks til the jobs done.

It depends on the complexity of the system. If it is not overly sophisticated then 15 hours can be sufficient. Perhaps closer to 30+ hours at go-live? I have been doing this for over 20 years and have a fair idea of what is required.

As regards assurances ....there are none from any sources. I have worked for large corporates and been charged out at up to four times the rate I currently charge. Same job, same person - 4 times the price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd say join a reputable agency and get the work that way.
    then you can make a name for yourself as an individual.
    Have you been contracting for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gibbins123

Advertise yourself as a very professional company. No need to mention that you are a one-man company. If you give off an apperance of being an excellent company, and do it as well as any of your competitors, then businesses will consider you. and your lower prices will sway them towards you.

I don't know if flyers would be used for advertising yourself, but what ever it is, make it look classy and professional.

You don't need to have the classy car, but do make the effort to wear a suit.

Have some classy business cards printed up, to leave behind after doing a job, and they'll get you back for more work or may recommend you to others.

A higher price often means a better quality service. So perhaps that is why the businesses pick the more expensive service.

You could advertise that you will do the same job, at a quicker speed, at the highest standards, and will charge 10% less than any other quote they get from anyone other company.

They would have to show you a written quote tho...perhaps a printout of an email... if thats how you'd get a quote... i don't know too much about your line of work. i only know about advertising!!

Advertisement