Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Caught With AK47

• 23-11-2007 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

so this guy was walkin down the street with an AK47 and a loaded cartridge....WTF
    must have been some sight for anyone who saw him...scary:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Where? and when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

yeh heard that this morning,must have been out of his head on drugs or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

xzanti wrote: »
    Where? and when?
    Camden St at around 9 according to the news.
    He had the AK and two mags one loaded and one unloaded in a sports bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Last night about 9pm I think it was Camden St.
    He had it in a bag with two cartridges, one loaded, one empty.
    The Gardai stopped and searched him cos he looked and was acting a little dodgy.
    I think it's time to break out the Kevlar vest when I'm going for a pint tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

holy crap, I live on Camden Street. He was coming to get me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I seen one in a shop for sale a while ago for €500. They're surprisingly easy to get hold of.

I'd say there's a good few knocking around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

any news links to this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KTRIC wrote: »
    I seen one in a shop for sale a while ago for €500. They're surprisingly easy to get hold of.

What shop? Not in Ireland surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

real ones???
    thats mental if true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way but if an AK was restricted to semi auto it would be a licenseable firearm in ireland.

Obviously walking around town with any firearm is completely mental and this dude deserves a long visit to a prison

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yeah the "special" prison out in Portrane!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I can imagine the guards eyes when he/she opened the guys bag.... $$$ Promotion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kearnsr wrote: »
    What shop? Not in Ireland surely?

In a sports shop in Nurnberg (Germany).

prendy wrote: »
    real ones???
    thats mental if true!

Yep a real one, it was behind the counter. I just asked could I see it and the clerk handed it over (unloaded of course). Had a price tag of €500 on it as far as I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ok, when I read this I thought he was walking down the street holding the AK....that sounded scary alright, but it was in his bag....suddenly the thread has lost some of its appeal :rolleyes:

Good that they got him and the gun anyway, perhaps another life or two spared in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Ok, when I read this I thought he was walking down the street holding the AK....

i thought the same when i heard it first and had visions of a terminator style look walking down camdon street!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe he was in cohoots with Al Quaeda ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Very scary!

Ok, when I read this I thought he was walking down the street holding the AK....that sounded scary alright, but it was in his bag....suddenly the thread has lost some of its appeal :rolleyes:

I've heard of fellas with uzis out running down the quays a few months ago, does that appeal to you better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Cathooo wrote: »

I've heard of fellas with uzis out running down the quays a few months ago, does that appeal to you better ;)

Emmm.....yeah, that sounds a little better alright :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

are you sure it wasnt one of those converted Ak 47s thats actually an mp3 player?

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/kalashnikov/ak-mp3.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    holy crap, I live on Camden Street. He was coming to get me.
    Yes he was and know we're going to have to send someone else. Not it!

He was probably hitting the pubs and clubs for the Thursday night drink promotions... especially the cheap shots....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Cathooo wrote: »

That was probably the plain clothes Gardai...They use Uzi's i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    He was probably hitting the pubs and clubs for the Thursday night drink promotions... especially the cheap shots....
    Sounds like a blast...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

That was probably the plain clothes Gardai...They use Uzi's i believe.

But they have to have guards bib's on if they are armed tho, no? So they know who is who and so Joe Doe doesn't decide to be a martyr and knock one out and shoot him`with his own gun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sorry Muppetkiller is actually right, it was a garda I was thinking of!

Story cut short was that a garda I know was in a patrol car chasing another car driving the wrong way down the quays, then he spotted a man running towards the car with an uzi gun out, needless to say the garda in question did a very swift U turn while thinking 'holy f*ck', turned out it was a garda. They dont wear the bib, just an all navy outfit which anyone could be wearing!

Sorry I hadnt had my coffee before posting :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

j14 wrote: »
    I think it's time to break out the Kevlar vest when I'm going for a pint tonight!

I'm afraid kevlar won't do jack-sh*t if it's a real AK. You'd be better off not wearing armour (then bullet won't tumble + make a mess, just go straight through) ;)

Still, I suppose it's easy enough for E-Euro gangs to get hold of the real stuff for peanuts and bring it over... (that €500 is daylight robbery - used to be able to get the real McCoy, fully operational, for about €100 or thereabouts in Berlin in '97).

I thought Guards had moved on to MP7s (which may be confused with Uzis from a distance)? Good catch all the same :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

ambro25 wrote: »

I thought Guards had moved on to MP7s (which may be confused with Uzis from a distance)? Good catch all the same :)

I dont think they have been deployed to the Gardai yet. I saw the plain clothes lads driving on Liffy street not to long ago, probably as an escourt for a money van, and the one in the passenger seat had a fairly old looking UZI. If it were me, I would be asking for the MP7's asap since I dont think those UZI's (or uzzys if you are Joe DuffY) are in the best working order.

I dont think those UZI's (or uzzys if you are Joe DuffY) are in the best working order.

They don't know how the deploy them in proper areas either.
    I remember when Bill Clinton and Prince Charles came over, they had armed Gardai on many high rooftops with UZIs. Should anything happen, they'd probably spray and kill far more innocent bystanders that a potential target threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I remember when Bill Clinton and Prince Charles came over, they had armed Gardai on many high rooftops with UZIs. Should anything happen, they'd probably spray and kill far more innocent bystanders that a potential target threat.
    Very good point and serious enough that someone should raise that with either the Gardai or the press....

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe he was in cohoots with Al Quaeda ;)

It sounds like the set-up for a joke:

So this Kerry Al-Quaeda was walking down the street holding an AK ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Uzi's are very short range weapons...maybe they thought the crowd would mob them so they equipped for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Its seems the gun barrel was sticking out of the bag when he got out of a taxi and was spotted by some undercovers passing bye. What an idiot, if you are going to be transporting rifles accross the city, at least make sure you do so with a bag big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Uzi's are very short range weapons...maybe they thought the crowd would mob them so they equipped for that?
    On the rooftops?

They probably had the lads with the sniper rifles patrolling in the crowds. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

jameshayes wrote: »
    But they have to have guards bib's on if they are armed tho, no?

Don't think so - I'm pretty sure they have to have markings, but they're not always very clear (navy 'Garda' sign on a navy vest).

Uzis are standard issue for ERU (always though it was weird) - they're changing them for MP7s soon.

Edit: oops, beaten like an RHS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

An AK47 in Ireland?

I'm shocked.

BTW, what was the gun of choice of the IRA?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

BTW, what was the gun of choice of the IRA?

It seemed to be a toss-up between the AK and the Armalite/AR-15 variants.

If he were just taking his legally owned rifle to the range, he should have used a slightly bigger bag, I guess. The problem hits with full-sized rifles: I don't have a bag big enough for my FAL except a purpose-built rifle case, which is pretty obvious as to what it contains. As a result, I generally have the barrel sticking out the end of a sports bag too (With my jacket covering it). That said, I use a car, not public transport, so it's a little less noticeable. He's probably lost his license now. Assuming it were legally owned in the first place.

E500 is possibly a little on the high side, unless it was an uprated clone like the Finnish Valmet new-in-box.
    I'm afraid kevlar won't do jack-sh*t if it's a real AK.
    Though I wouldn't want to rely on it, there have been instances in the US Army of IBA stopping AK rounds without the use of the ceramic strike plates.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

He borrowed it as was going to Limerick for the week-end and didn't want to be the only one down there who was un-armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 McGrueber

apparently he was stopped because he was recognised by the plain clothes as a member of the INLA. He would have been transporting the AK to another location. The INLA have been running a protection racket in the city centre over recent months so hopefully they make an example of this guy and send him to the big house for a very long time

ps Manic Moran Why dont people keep their licensed rifles under lock and key at the rifle range? It seems bizarre to me that you are allowed to carry guns with a license or have them in your home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

McGrueber wrote: »

ps Manic Moran Why dont people keep their licensed rifles under lock and key at the rifle range? It seems bizarre to me that you are allowed to carry guns with a license or have them in your home?

What is so bizarre about it? If you have a hunting rifle keeping it on the range is hardly a good place for it! Also, many people may use the rifle for both hunting and range shooting. Finally, most ranges would not have the facilities to store many firearms, to do so would only make them a target for criminals looking to steal them.

• Advertisement

astraboy wrote: »
    to do so would only make them a target for criminals looking to steal them.

An excellent point.

And what if there were a club gathering at another range, maybe a competition, so you'd have to get to your 'normal' range first, then pick up your rifle, and transport it to wherever you needed to get to in the first place.

There are three issues.

One is whether or not the rifle was legally owned in the first place. If indeed this guy was INLA, probably not. Which makes this guy the even bigger idiot for taking a taxi in the first place. Unless it was an INLA taxi, I guess.

The second is whether or not the rifle was being legally transported if legally owned. Truth be told, it's been over ten years since I moved a firearm around the country, and it was going club-to-club so I had a Garda movement order in the car. That said, I could have sworn that some competitors took Irish Rail with their rifles one year for the Limerick Open. There may be a requirement for some form of lock through the breech, I'm not the person to ask that.

And the third is that of public perception. Unfamiliarity with the laws, with the weapons and a general pre-disposition is such that there's an inclination towards fear and panic such as the automatic presumptions that (1) it's illegal to have an AK-47 derivative, or (2) That anyone seen with one must be up to no good. I presume that if someone happened to see a shotgun in the back of someone's muddy Land Rover that there would be much less of a reaction, but shotguns are far more commonly used in criminal activities than AKs.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

KTRIC wrote: »

The reason they're easy to get hold of is because Russia lost the Cold War. They found themselves with an awful lot of rifles they no longer needed and sold them off to arms dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

McGrueber wrote: »
    apparently he was stopped because he was recognised by the plain clothes as a member of the INLA. He would have been transporting the AK to another location. The INLA have been running a protection racket in the city centre over recent months so hopefully they make an example of this guy and send him to the big house for a very long time

manic moran lives in the states

The answers to the question are not geographically specific. One is authorised to keep one's firearms at home in Ireland. The differences tend to be in immediate accessibility: You can't keep it assembled and loaded in Ireland. The issues of practicality for the purposes of hunting, travel or security at a central location are the same.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

im just asking a stupid question, anybody know if this was actually real or a BB gun they do come pretty realistic looking these days made in full metal, and arnt they illegal to own without a FA cert
    i only read the link and its the only part of the news i read on this matter so far ,unless there is better description in another news link, i was just pondering as somtimes this stuff can get out of control with the media as it sells quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1124/rifle.html

Supposely he is a member of the INLA I've been told. There's a good few INLA members living in Dublin 8 so he's probably from the area around Camden St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Are you sure this wasn't when you were playing counter strike? "Get in position and wait for my go"..."go go go!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

This level IV version of this will stop a couple of AK rounds.

http://www.bodyarmour.ie/tactical.asp?catid=2

Although the bullets will probably break your ribs and knock you out:D

According to this site it was a .223. If they are right could it still be an airgun?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhqlidojoj/

Probably not. It's a bizarre AK though, they usually come in 7.62 (.308) or 5.45mm. not .223.

There are speciality variants, such as the Norinco 84S from China which is designed to use the American .223 round. The Indian INSAS rifle is also very AK-like and uses the .223 round. I guess it would make sense for a non-standardised organisation which uses both AKs and ARs to simplify logistics.

The other alternative was he was just transporting the AK and some ammo for a different rifle in the same bag.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

RTE say it was a "Kalashnikov style assault rifle" so who knows what it was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement