Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless problem

• 23-11-2007 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi Please help!

I have moved into a new appartment. The router for wireless connection is located in the house next door and i was told i can have access to it. My laptop can recognise the connection and connect to it initially. I have to use a network key. All ok so far. However after connecting i get a message saying "limited or no connectivity" although the signal strength is "excellent".

Any ideas??:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

It's either you aren't getting an IP address allocated or there are DNS or Key Port issues. Can you get the router rebooted? If so, turn it off for ten seconds and then power back on and try. I usually have to do this with a couple of routers that I use if they are powered on all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Im not getting an IP address. I ask it to repair the connection and i get "cannot establish IP address" or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sounds like an issue with the security your using, is it a wep key you were given? Might want to double check you have the right one.
    Right Click on your Wireless Network Icon down by the clock,select "View Available Wireless Networks", once that tab opens click "Advanced settings" on the left hand side, a network connections properties box willopen up, select the "Advanced Settings" tab.
    On this tab you will see a list of your prefered wireless networks to connect to. Slect the one that you've been trying to connect to a click properties. Check the WEP key settings and make sure the "The key is provided automatically for me" box is not ticked.
    Once you do that enter the correct wep key you were given and it *should* work ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Also make sure you have selected to use the correct key. Normally their can be four WEP keys assigned and you can enter one of these and select use Key 1, 2, 3, or 4. Normally people use Key 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I had this issue also - 'limited connectivity' message connecting a new Dell
    laptop to a BT Voyager 2110. The network is visible and accepts the SSID
    etc but does not get an IP address.

I connected ok using a cable and checked out the the Voyager settings
    - but still luck for the wireless connection. Some google searches through up a problem with Windows Vista and wireless connections causing this and one of these linked to an MSDN article which seems to match the problem. I requested the MS hotfix and am going to try it out over the w/end.

I'll post the MSDN article ID when I find it..

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Check if the wifi router is set up to only allow specific PCs to connect ("MAC Filtering")

Advertisement