Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new v Buying Second

Options
  • 23-11-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Opel Astra Sportshatch SXI 1.4 or Mazda 3 Touring 1.6 new.

What are peoples thoughts on buying new v second hand.

Retention: 5 years.

Second hand buy 05-06.

Is it really worth paying the premium for a new car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

I think it's only really worth buying new to get the exact colour/spec you want. If you're happy with the spec/mileage/condition of the 2nd hand car, you're saving quite a bit of cash. I'd imagine there's something of a warranty left on those cars too?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like a new car. I dont concern myself with things like depreciation, it doesnt interest me because I buy a car I like/want for me, not the next guy that will buy it. Plus, buying new, like yourself, I'd be holding onto it for a good few years (the Clio I bought new in 2000 as my first car is still in the family).

Nothing beats new car smell and the knowledge that your the only one who has driven the car. You can guarentee that it has been hammered over bumps/pothols or thrashed. But then I am anal about these things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm usually an advocate of buying second hand as value for money can be excellent in this country. However in this case I'd advice buying new. Buying nearly new from a main dealer is often not a particularly good deal, especially if you think you can get a substantial discount on the listed price of a new car

You're going to keep the car for 5+ years, so at the end it will be much easier to sell when you're the only owner from new

And you get the spec / colour etc. you want and the nice smell too :)

Stephen here was in the same predicament a while ago when he was thinking of buying a nearly new Civic. He changed his mind and bought new

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your keeping a car for 5 or more years then depreciation should not a major factor in your decision.

Buying new makes alot of sense in this case. You get the full manufactures warranty, no previous owners, choose the spec/colour you want and you get the buzz of owning a brand new car. :D

If you want it go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I think in this case buying new would be ok.

GF said she would kept the car for around 5 years which I am happy with.

Thanks guys for your input.

Next question Mazda 3 or Astra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

kluivert wrote: »
    Next question Mazda 3 or Astra.

Style over substance. Mazda will be more reliable but they sure ain't pretty.

If it was me it would be the Astra but not a 1.4

This thread is really continuing from my last one.

She likes the Madza 3 Saloon Touring model, after getting her hands on the 1.6 diesel engine for a day. The diesel is too expensive but the 1.6 petrol touring is the same price as the 1.4 Astra Sportshatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

furtzy wrote: »
    Style over substance. Mazda will be more reliable but they sure ain't pretty.

If it was me it would be the Astra but not a 1.4

It's for his girlfriend so the 1.4 would be fine..don't want too powerful a car for them girls :D
    Also buy new..the piece of mind from the warranty is worth it...

If it's going to be the Astra then it should be the 1.3 diesel. Costs a bit more but you will get most of that back at the pump and when you sell it on.

If petrol is the only option I would go for the Mazda myself. It has an extra year on the warranty, 1.4 is a bit nippier than the Astra but it is less stylish.

It's for his girlfriend so the 1.4 would be fine..don't want too powerful a car for them girls :D
    Also buy new..the piece of mind from the warranty is worth it...

Shes a fast driver alright but careful one at that.

I have a feeling that she might go for the Mazda 3 1.6 petrol. More power over the Astra 1.4. Mazda have a three year warranty compared to Opel's 2 year. The interior must be black black black - so thats the Mazda touring option then.

I think new is best option as well. Ok its going to be a big bit of the wages each day, but she might be doing a 100 mile round trip to work each week starting in the new year.

• Advertisement

Any reasons it must be either a Mazda 3 1.6 petrol or a Astra 1.4 petrol?

There are so many other cars out there. For the same money she could get a Mini One 1.4 petrol! She'll probably find that very easy to sell on in 5 years time and get a couple of grand more than the other cars

unkel wrote: »
    Any reasons it must be either a Mazda 3 1.6 petrol or a Astra 1.4 petrol?

There are so many other cars out there. For the same money she could get a Mini One 1.4 petrol! She'll probably find that very easy to sell on in 5 years time and get a couple of grand more than the other cars

Max max budget of 23k.

These are the two cars that she likes most.

Max max budget of 23k

Mini One lists for €21k. Plenty of other cars within budget too
    These are the two cars that she likes most.

That surprises me, but fair enough - I can't argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Mazda 3 with a 1.6 engine is likely to be a special order as it's not a popular choice in Ireland (surprise, surprise). I ordered one on the 25th May this year and it didn't arrive in to the dealer until the 15th October!

Might cut your choices a bit.

That surprises me, but fair enough - I can't argue with that

Shes an Opel Fan am afraid.

Shes an Opel Fan am afraid.

Buying a Mazda (owned by arch rival Ford) is not something an Opel fan should be proud of :p

Buying a Mazda (owned by arch rival Ford) is not something an Opel fan should be proud of :p

Just adding up the mileage she should be would over the next 5 years.

24000 Miles a year x 5 years = 120,000 Miles. You wouldnt get much of a trade in or sale after five years if bought brand new. Would you?

At 24,000 miles per year, surely she should buy a diesel?

At 24,000 miles per year, surely she should buy a diesel?

Totally agree. A diesel is the only way to go here.

Mazda 3 diesel is 1.6 litre. Astra diesel is 1.3 litre or 1.7 litre.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Totally agree. A diesel is the only way to go here.

That's it. The Astra 1.3 diesel sure looks like the best plan. It has the excellent FIAT 1.3 diesel engine. Very good fuel economy. And there are secundary savings on reduced road tax and insurance

@Kluivert - you're an accountant, are you not? Surely you've adviced her to go with any of them prudent options? :D

• Advertisement

@Kluivert - you're an accountant, are you not? Surely you've adviced her to go with any of them prudent options? :D

This is the fine problem here, the accountant in me is screaming no...buying a new car is a waste of money, and people who buy new are fooling themselves into a false economy pruchase.

I checked out the price of the 1.3 Astra Diesel, its the same price as the 1.9 Skoda diesel.

I still think its crazy money for a car.

I bought my 99 Opel Astra back in June 04 with 54k miles for 6900e, three and bit years later, i have added another 58k miles and its still running better than some newer cars which have been driven hard. My car was looked after well when I bought it. I knew the car, so its a once off find.

I see so many people buying new cars and ripping the undercarriage in car park ramps, over speed bumps, revving new cars excessive high when pulling out of a parking space. This bugged me especially when I asked my mate would he not go easier on the car, he replied that he will be trading it in against another new car soon enough and didnt really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

This is the fine problem here, the accountant in me is screaming no...buying a new car is a waste of money, and people who buy new are fooling themselves into a false economy purchase.

sorry to butt in here, but I'm looking to get a new car at the moment and a mate of mine said the exact opposite i.e. that buying old cars is a false economy ... confused now:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

while personally i lean towards 2nd hand cars , there are some really great offers out there right now on new cars , especially opel , pay half now and the other 50% in two years time

i perfer the opel corsa to the astra , its very smart and sporty looking , for an opel , plus it would be ideal for a single person

i bought a 2005 ford focus 108 bhp zetec 1.6 diesel with a host of extras and sports suspension a yr ago , this car is just shy of 26 k new , i got it for under 19 and there was less than 10 k miles on the clock , it was a private sale and originally came from the north but ive had no problems whatsover with it since and shes a gem to drive , personally i love the thrill of landing a bargain and you dont get that with new cars
    besides there are very few bad cars nowadays so getting caught with a dud is unlikely

the accountant in me is screaming no...

Never mind buying new or second hand. Shouldn't the accountant in you scream no to petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

redtom wrote: »
    sorry to butt in here, but I'm looking to get a new car at the moment and a mate of mine said the exact opposite i.e. that buying old cars is a false economy ... confused now:confused:

Depends if you end up paying a lot in repairs. No way of knowing that. You can make a guess based on the conidtion and history of a car, or in the case of a new car, how well its regarded in surveys and reviews. etc. But you can never be 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This is the fine problem here, the accountant in me is screaming no...buying a new car is a waste of money, and people who buy new are fooling themselves into a false economy pruchase.

I checked out the price of the 1.3 Astra Diesel, its the same price as the 1.9 Skoda diesel. ...

I guess you really have to look at the annual cost of running your car. Especially the cost of depreciation and the cost of likely repairs, servicing.

The Astra 1.3 is going to be cheaper in tax and insurance. And VRT perhaps. I'd have the Skoda Octavia myself. The Astra not a bad motor though. 1.3 is a nice engine. Its a bit dear though, like you said.

Advertisement