Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed -Dog Nutering

Options
  • 23-11-2007 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

My mini Yorkie (bitch) is going into the vet on Monday to get neutered (am a nervous wreak already)

Any tips on when I take her home?

Have to get my sister to leave her down as I’d be a blubbering mess leaving without her.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

The vet who performs the procedure will give you an after-care sheet and some advice when you pick her up. If you've any other questions just ask then or ring the surgery.

Pretty much just keep her warm and quiet for the first night. Only give her a small meal, don't let her stuff herself as she'll have been starved for the anesthetic the night before. No exercise and don't let her jump up and down off furniture etc. Lift her. Keep an eye on the wound, if it changes in any way or seems redder than normal then ring your vet. You'll probably have to bring her back after 3 days to have the stitches checked and 7 days after that for removal. Keep her collar on when you're not around to prevent her getting at her stitches and make sure she's supervised as much as possible for the first few days.

Think that's about it but again if you've any other questions your vet or veterinary nurse should be your first point of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

MoneyM wrote: »
    My mini Yorkie (bitch) is going into the vet on Monday to get neutered (am a nervous wreak already)

Any tips on when I take her home?

Have to get my sister to leave her down as I’d be a blubbering mess leaving without her.:o

Firstly, she will be just fine so try not to worry although in saying that I was exactly the same when I dropped my little pupster in to be spayed.

As for aftercare the vet should fill you in on anything you need to know when you pick her up. Normally she will be still a bit woozy from the anaesthetic, just make sure she has a nice warm comfy place to sleep it off and that she has plenty of water. My dog didn't show much interest in eating for the first day after the op but she was VERY thirsty. They come around very fast after the op though and within a day or so she will most likely be back to herself! Make sure she can't get at her stitches either because they get itchy when they are healing and sometimes they try to gnaw at them. The vet might give you a collar to stop her doing this.

TRy not to worry, she will be just fine and don't believe any of the old wives tales of personality changes either. That doesn't happen. Only effect of spaying and neutering is that dogs are more prone to putting on a bit of weight.

Best of luck, and well done for getting her spayed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

i got my girl misty done as few months ago when she was 7months old, i was worried two, but the vet was wonderful, he gave me great after care nd support, she was weak, tired and in discomfort for the first day and a half after the op.

i minded her kept her warm, she slowly regained her appetite, just be careful not to have her jumping or over exerting herself in case the stitches burst.

The op is well worth it so dont worry she'll be fine afterwards once she gets plenty of love and attention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Toulouse wrote: »
    The vet who performs the procedure will give you an after-care sheet and some advice when you pick her up. If you've any other questions just ask then or ring the surgery.

Pretty much just keep her warm and quiet for the first night. Only give her a small meal, don't let her stuff herself as she'll have been starved for the anesthetic the night before. No exercise and don't let her jump up and down off furniture etc. Lift her. Keep an eye on the wound, if it changes in any way or seems redder than normal then ring your vet. You'll probably have to bring her back after 3 days to have the stitches checked and 7 days after that for removal. Keep her collar on when you're not around to prevent her getting at her stitches and make sure she's supervised as much as possible for the first few days.

Think that's about it but again if you've any other questions your vet or veterinary nurse should be your first point of call.

Did you steal the after care sheet that all vets base their advice on :)

OP, the above is all you need to do. Great advice there. It does generally take 24 - 36 hours for most pets to get over any general anaesthetic. So don't worry if she seems a little quiet. But she should be back to herself tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Keep her in a dark room for about a day her pupils will be dilated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Jules80 wrote: »
    Did you steal the after care sheet that all vets base their advice on :)

OP, the above is all you need to do. Great advice there. It does generally take 24 - 36 hours for most pets to get over any general anaesthetic. So don't worry if she seems a little quiet. But she should be back to herself tuesday night.

Lol, no I was just a nervous wreck getting my girl done so I learned it off by heart. I also come into contact with alot of rescue dogs post-op so it keeps it fresh in my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Believe me she'll be ok. When i brought esri (my GSD pup) to get neutered, I had to lift her onto the scales and try coax her into the cage. It was only then she realised I was going to leave her - my fiance left me put her in...she did whimper a little but I was more upset then her. The nurses and vet took great care of her. When I went to collect her, I lifted her in the car and took her home.
    Don't let your dog run around, try keep them calm and let them rest. If you are taking her outside to relieve herself, put her on a lead. Oh and make sure to keep an eye on the wound, I had to go to the vet and get a collar cos Esri kept licking herself sore - she was not amused bout it but she was ok. (see pic I attached) I was more of a wreck then the dog - I was checking on her regularly and letting her sleep on the rug in the sitting room for a while. :) But don't worry she'll be ok... :D

Advertisement