Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-forum bickering

Options
  • 23-11-2007 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Perhaps I was unclear earlier.

The next person to complain about the Islam forum on this thread will receive a permanent ban.

Back. On. Topic.

:rolleyes:

Brush it under the carpet, just like was done with the crimes of the chruch(always the same with religion). I note what you've said to me, but whats the point of going to feedback when it is what it is Ob. I do understand why you want prevent cross forum bickering, but the points you deleted still stand in relation to Islam and it's followers.

I feel that I am being on topic in addressing what I percieve as a willingness to ignore what is an element of Islam, and convienient pick and choose attitude all the while demanding respect without earning it.

Remember the Danish cartoon event?
    Funny thing was South Park had depicted Mohammed in an earlier episode and there was no furore then......pick and choose...base hypocracy.

This relates to what you do not want discussed, and I feel strongly that what has happened is stongly on topic.

Not to play a set my people free card, but this stiffling of debate is the cancer that is killing boards.......
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Politics.

My first instinct was just to delete this post, and to follow through on my threat to ban, but I want to make a point: if you want to discuss the moderation of another forum, do so in Feedback or somewhere else where it has some faint hope of being on-topic.

I. Don't. Care. Whether or not you think the moderation of the Islam forum is relevant to a thread on inhuman punishment in Saudi Arabia. As the moderator, I had already told you it was off-topic and to stop it. If you want to fight the powah, piss off and do it somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I'm not really sure whether this counts as feedback relating to the Islam forum, or the Politics forum, or both.

As for the Islam forum. The thread started by another poster, pjproby, on rape in Saudi has nothing to do with Islam, the Islam forum or those who contribute to it. This was explained in the closed thread, and the OP was invited to ask a more general question about how rape is dealt with in Islamic Justice, as opposed to a foreign country most of us have never been to or may know little about.

It's comparable to a post vilifying Stalin in the atheism forum. Of course the vast majority of atheists would agree with the sentiment, they'd probably just be a bit bewildered as to why it was posted there. It's the same for that Saudi thread in the Islam forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

it really is a question of how you define "politics". politics per this definition is something that happens outside of boards.ie. i find that definition difficult to understand.
    what happened to me was that a thread i started on the Islam forum was closed very quickly indeed.
    if this is not a political issue i give up.
    inviting me to start a different thread is surely taking the p altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Politics is for discussing the politics of the world at large.
    Feedback and Helpdesk are for discussing any "internal" politics.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Politics is for discussing the politics of the world at large.
    Feedback and Helpdesk are for discussing any "internal" politics.
    Indeed.

Rule of thumb:- Dont like a moderator or how a forum is being run? Contact the mod or take it to Feedback/Helpdesk.Otherwise, say nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You Suck! wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Brush it under the carpet, just like was done with the crimes of the chruch(always the same with religion).
    Here's a thing. Have you ever actually helped to expose any of the crimes of the Churches?

If not, you're behind the curve as far as users here go. Come back when you're past the median on that one.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pjproby wrote: »
    politics per this definition is something that happens outside of boards.ie. i find that definition difficult to understand.

really? It sounds incredibly simple and obvious to most people..

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

I. Don't. Care. Whether or not you think the moderation of the Islam forum is relevant to a thread on inhuman punishment in Saudi Arabia. As the moderator, I had already told you it was off-topic and to stop it. If you want to fight the powah, piss off and do it somewhere else.

And that's what I hate, Ohhhhh it can never be that theres a valid point to be discussed, oh no, It's that who ever challenge's a Mod's opinion is "fighting the powah". What a fúckin cliche!

I've been round boards a long time, know a lot of boardsies and have even had the pleasure of meeting you ob(irl you seem cool). But this is just it, what has gone from a place where the mod's themselves were antagonists intent on having some fun and disscussion has gone to a point where even the slightest affront is enough to get you shítcanned.

Well **** it, I don't really care either. The webs a big enough trampling ground. Pity one of my favorite little corners is going to the pit's.

Here's a thing. Have you ever actually helped to expose any of the crimes of the Churches?

If not, you're behind the curve as far as users here go. Come back when you're past the median on that one.

Ah so, if Im not working in the justice system, then I shouldn't give a **** about crime?
    Eahhh Yeah! So there! :rolleyes:
    It's comparable to a post vilifying Stalin in the atheism forum. Of course the vast majority of atheists would agree with the sentiment, they'd probably just be a bit bewildered as to why it was posted there. It's the same for that Saudi thread in the Islam forum.
    Communism is an independant political Ideology that utilises Atheism as part of it's structure.
    Sharia is a derivitive and element of Islam that is utilised by many Muslims. How come it's an easy matter for disscussion when some Muslims want to live by sharia in other countrys and demand their right to do so........but when it comes to a simple discussion to discuss one countrys extreme interpretation it's poo-pooed.

Meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

This thread looks very serious. Very serious indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Binomate wrote: »

This thread looks very serious. Very serious indeed.

I agree. I'm way out of my league here I'm going to see if there's any more Boss Arky type threads.

Seriousbusiness2.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And that's what I hate, Ohhhhh it can never be that theres a valid point to be discussed, oh no, It's that who ever challenge's a Mod's opinion is "fighting the powah". What a fúckin cliche!
    I don't mind you challenging a moderator's opinion, whether it's mine or that of an Islam mod. What I insist on is that it be done in the appropriate forum.

The moderation of the Islam forum (or any other forum, including Politics), is off-topic for the Politics forum. The "fight the powah" comment was a reflection on your refusal to accept the direction I gave you on a Politics thread.

I didn't even ban you for it, or delete the off-topic post - I moved it here, so that it can be discussed in the appropriate forum. So, now that it's here, feel free to discuss it.
    I've been round boards a long time, know a lot of boardsies and have even had the pleasure of meeting you ob(irl you seem cool).
    I am cool, yore ma told me so. Where/when have we met? I've a terrible memory for boardsies.
    But this is just it, what has gone from a place where the mod's themselves were antagonists intent on having some fun and disscussion has gone to a point where even the slightest affront is enough to get you shítcanned.
    At the risk of being repetitive, I'm all up for discussion. If you want to discuss politics, you're more than welcome to do so in Politics. If I want to debate an aspect of Islam, I'll start a thread in Islam. If you want to discuss the moderation of a boards.ie forum, you're in the right place here on Feedback.
    Well **** it, I don't really care either. The webs a big enough trampling ground. Pity one of my favorite little corners is going to the pit's.
    Why do you say so? Because I refuse to let you drag threads off-topic? Sorry, but that's the way I moderate Politics. I don't think that's a bad thing. If you do, please explain why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Before this thread descends into another pointless "lets see who can insult who the best" thread, resulting in everyone looking like immature idiots, can one of you post some content and links to whatever the hell you are talking about? if not the thread is exactly what the title says - cross forum bickering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'll post 'em because i'm nice.

here's the thread that You Suck! posted in the Islam forum and was locked.

here's the thread in which You Suck! goes off topic, giving out about the moderating of the Islam forum and that this thread was split from.

I'll post 'em because i'm nice.

here's the thread that You Suck! posted in the Islam forum and was locked.

If your gonna be nice, at least get it right ;)
    I didn't post the original thread in the Islam forum.

OB:
    I don't mind you challenging a moderator's opinion, whether it's mine or that of an Islam mod. What I insist on is that it be done in the appropriate forum.
    Appreciated from you point of view. And also appreciated that you raised the Issue here. I am cranky about the banlist league, and the rising tide of mod antipathy towards users, so not so much against you personally, just what I percieve as the direction boards has been going(price of success?).
    But.... ;)
    The moderation of the Islam forum (or any other forum, including Politics), is off-topic for the Politics forum. The "fight the powah" comment was a reflection on your refusal to accept the direction I gave you on a Politics thread.

I didn't even ban you for it, or delete the off-topic post - I moved it here, so that it can be discussed in the appropriate forum. So, now that it's here, feel free to discuss it.

I didn't want to challenge the moderation per sé, just that I wanted to challenge our resident Muslims for not addressing the issue. If you'll note, my second post, the one which you raised here in feedback took care not to mention the Islam forum, and that I also stated why I felt it was strongly on topic. Granted I was being a contankorous antagonistic bastard about it, but that's how I feel. Post 9/11 it was the Islamophobes that were being the pain in the ass, now it's Muslims being a pain in the ass, I do try to be fair ;)

Also, on the topic of cross-forum bickering, what about cross forum off-loading for subjects some forums are basically too pussy to address? Is one more acceptable then the other? As a mod, I'm sure you would have your own opinions on this.
    I am cool, yore ma told me so. Where/when have we met? I've a terrible memory for boardsies.
    She only said that so you'd buy the atari Jaguar XP
    Twas the smithfield drinkies around spring, I was Nadir's buddy. Good night btw.
    At the risk of being repetitive, I'm all up for discussion. If you want to discuss politics, you're more than welcome to do so in Politics. If I want to debate an aspect of Islam, I'll start a thread in Islam. If you want to discuss the moderation of a boards.ie forum, you're in the right place here on Feedback.
    Problem is it's a little of all three. The discussion was started in Islam, closed and sent on to Politics, then on here to Feedback. I realise that mod's have to back each other up in the face of Muppets, but my gripe is that this allows for "collateral damage" when a mod is being unreasonable. I would be intrested to see Talliesin's reply in relation to the points I have raised in this thread and that Islam should be answerable to some degree for sharia, rather then shut down a point of conversation, ignore it and deny any connection to what is a derivative part of Islam. There is much to such a discussion, and it pissed me off to see such a shut it down and ignore it attitude, especially given how emotive and ****ed up the subject material is.

Hope this rationalise's my perspective and actions some what.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If your gonna be nice, at least get it right ;)
    I didn't post the original thread in the Islam forum.

:o

Advertisement