Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletroy new park

Options
  • 23-11-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

THE development of a new 17-acre public park in Castletroy, including a 4,300 sq metre lake, will commence next month, ready for completion in mid 2008.

An 2.2 million euro contract has been signed between the Local Authority and contractor L and M Keating of Kilmihil, county Clare.

Development of the park follows public consultation with the local community and school children.

Castletroy Park will feature a fully equipped playground, a skateboarding arena, 1.2 km of pedestrian pathways, a circular cycle route, and a central performance/exhibition area with covering structure. It will also feature an array of natural habitats, including a 4,300 sq. metre lake, wetlands, wildflower grass areas and woodlands.

Located opposite Castletroy College, it will be complemented by park furniture, ornamental planting areas, a public car park and main entrance.

Cllr Kevin Sheahan referred to the new park and amenity area as a significant and welcome addition to Limerick’s outdoor recreational infrastructure.

"I am very impressed with the proposed development, which, I hope, will become a focal

point for the people of the locality and beyond. This will be of particular benefit to the growing population of Castletroy and surrounding areas”.

Limerick County Manager, Edmond Gleeson, described the provision of sporting and recreational facilities and services as one of the core functions of local government.

"Castletroy continues to experience growth in terms of developments and population. Therefore, it is imperative that this is matched by the provision of important infrastructure such as recreational amenities”. Said deputy Kieran O’Donnell.

"Although it has taken a little bit longer than originally anticipated, I’m delighted it is getting off the ground.

"This is the first stage of the overall 17 acre park. And I’m hoping that stage two will include a youth or community centre and playing fields”.

Could be great or could be a kip!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fair play to them.... they could easily have put another housing development there and made alot more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sounds good, but they'll need to ensure that once it's built it's not taken over by any particular group of people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

I hope that a proper fulltime staff is included in the plan. A "parkie" is essential in this day and age to maintain a safe park. I grew up near Shelbourne park which had a park attendent when I was a kid (many years ago). As the result of cutbacks he was removed and the park went into decline immediately. It became the hangout for scumbags.

Maybe in today's Ireland , any park should have security personnel to maintain a safe and enjoyable environment for it's users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

When is this due to open? It looks like it's almost done...

• Advertisement
Advertisement