Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fix MBR on vista machine - no cd.

• 23-11-2007 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway to do this without the cd?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Is there anyway to do this without the cd?

Without THE vista CD, yes, even an old W98SE disk can do it for you. "fdisk /mbr" will do teh trick. So if you have access to another windows OS disk, you're golden. You can also use the partition tools on the free Ultimate Boot Disk.

Any linux disk you can get your mits on will do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hmmm,
    I have used extended operating system loader off UBCD and I add the vista partition to boot. Then when I click boot it just says "Extended operating system loader 1.1.15" and hangs there. Is there something i'm missing here.

It's pointing to the vista partition for definite and the vista partition has has not been modified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I also have just tried using super grub disk and wrote a new mbr. I went with the 2000, XP & 2003 option as there was no vista one. When I try to boot then on the vista partition I get the error "Error loading operating system".

The reason this all came about in the first place is I used gparted to remove an old xp partition as I wanted to increase the size of the vista partition. After only removing the xp part of the disk, I got os not found upon bootime. I did not touch anything else.

The only thing about the vista part is that it's an extended partition...

I am now considering installing xp back onto the old partition to use easybcd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

did you delete the active partition - use fdisk or similar to set the XP partition to be active,
    if it wasn't vista I'd say you might need to edit the boot.ini to reflect the changes in partition if it wasn't the first on the drive , vista has a different boot manager

Advertisement