Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Possible Qualifying Group for Ireland, you choose

• 23-11-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Pot 1:Italy,Spain,Germany,Czech Republic, France,Portugal, Netherlands, Croatia, Greece

Pot 2: England, Romania, Scotland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Russia, Poland, Sweden, Israel

Pot 3: Norway, Ukraine, Serbia, Denmark, Northern Ireland,Republic of Ireland, Finland, Switzerland, Belgium

Pot 4: Slovakia,Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hungary, Moldova, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Lithuania, Cyprus

Pot 5: Georgia, Albania, Slovenia, Latvia, Iceland, Armenia, Austria, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan

Pot 6: Liechtenstein, Estonia, Malta, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Andorra, Faroe Islands, San Marino

Winners Qualify, Best Eight runners up go into playoffs.
    Ireland best possible Group for the 2010 World cup qualifiers:

Greece
    Romania
    Rep of Irelnad
    Belarus
    Armenia
    San Marino (or no one at all)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Italy
    England
    Ireland
    Wales
    Georgia
    Malta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Greece
    Sweden
    Lithuania
    Armenia
    San Marino

ftw

Probably;
    Italy
    England
    Belarus
    Austria
    Montenegro

Would be the toughest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll have 1 big one and 4 small ones please Carol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pot 1:Italy,Spain,Germany,Czech Republic, France,Portugal, Netherlands, Croatia, Greece

Pot 2: England, Romania, Scotland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Russia, Poland, Sweden, Israel

Pot 3: Norway, Ukraine, Serbia, Denmark, Northern Ireland,Republic of Ireland, Finland, Switzerland, Belgium

Pot 4: Slovakia,Bosnia-Herzegovina, Hungary, Moldova, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Lithuania, Cyprus

Pot 5: Georgia, Albania, Slovenia, Latvia, Iceland, Armenia, Austria, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan

Pot 6: Liechtenstein, Estonia, Malta, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Andorra, Faroe Islands, San Marino

Holland (we have been their bogey team for 20 odd years now, ignoring the friendly last year of course)
    England (the Scots would take us. Israel would cost us a valueable 2 or 3 pts in Israel)
    Belarus are pretty poor
    Albania
    Any bar Estonia or Montenegro. Estonia are very poor, but could hold a draw at home

Nightmare

Anyone from P1 bar Holland, and maybe France and Czech
    Scotland or Israel
    Wales or Cyprus (Welsh are improving)
    Latvia
    Montenegro (because nobody knows what they are like yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

If we drew Greece from group 1 and avoided England in group 2 then we would fancy our chances then. I wonder will the draw affect who we get to manage the team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Czechs (they're not great - we should've beaten them this time round)
    Scotland (they overachieved last time - player for player they're no better than us)
    Ireland
    Moldova (though its a very long trip)
    Pots 5 & 6 - who cares - if we can't take 12 points against the whipping boys we don't deserver to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

patmac wrote: »
    If we drew Greece from group 1 and avoided England in group 2 then we would fancy our chances then. I wonder will the draw affect who we get in the next round?

what next round?
    1 team from each pot in each group.
    the group winners go to South Africa, the runners up play off for the remaining places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Czech Republic
    Bulgaria
    Lithuania
    Austria
    anyone from bottom pot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

FTW;
    Greece
    Romania
    Lithuania,
    Albania
    Liechtenstein

Worst Case;
    France
    Israel
    Cyprus (bad memories)
    Iceland
    Estonia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Czech Republic
    England
    Republic of Ireland
    Wales
    Albania
    Malta(had my honeymoon there I wanna go back!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Best/Easiest Draw
    =========
    Spain
    Scotland
    Wales
    Iceland
    Andorra

Worst/Hardest draw
    ==========
    Czech
    Poland
    Bosnia
    Austria
    San Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Greece
    Scotland
    Ireland
    Lithuania
    Iceland
    San Marino

Now if we didn't qualify from that:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Greece
    Bulgaria
    Rep of Ireland
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Luxembourg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Greece
    Scotland
    Republic of Ireland
    Wales
    Iceland
    Luxembourg

I think we could top that group. I pick Scotland as I think although they play great, we have more talent than them, and if we got our team right, we could beat them, just like we could beat Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Why don't you put up 5 seperate polls asking the easiest team from each pot?

Meh, probably no time/ waste of time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i dont really care who we get, but i am delighted we cant draw NI, cus i think we would definitely lose to them.

Id like to see the nordies. Healy is moderate enough against prem players he knows, he only seems to be on fire against defenders who underestimate him/never heard of him.
    shane86 wrote: »
    Holland (we have been their bogey team for 20 odd years now, ignoring the friendly last year of course)
    England (the Scots would take us. Israel would cost us a valueable 2 or 3 pts in Israel)
    Belarus are pretty poor
    Albania
    Any bar Estonia or Montenegro. Estonia are very poor, but could hold a draw at home

Nightmare
    Scotland or Israel
    GEORGIA (played a stormer against the Scots)

Further to that somewhat rushed post made when I was meant to be working

Holland. They had a shaky qualification round this time iirc. Might force at least a point from the games
    England. If we have a bit of injury luck (Rooney, primarily) we can take them both home and away I truly feel
    Belarus have an awful record, check their wikipedia article. Im surprised they arent 6th seeds
    Albania. Not too far from home for travelling support, not a great side (though iirc they caused the Dutch some worry this time around)
    Estonia and Montenegro are the only two in the last pot that have a chance of taking 3 points, so we want anyone but them

Nightmare:

As we know, the Irish can get murdered by Cyprus and nearly draw with minnows and then play out respectable results to top 5 teams like Germany. Nevertheless, dont like any of them, Holland, France, Czechs are the teams we could beat at home and in one or two cases gain points abroad.
    Scotland: home and away defeats
    Macedonia have also been known to stall the odd team
    Kazakhstan. Meh, far from home, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Id like to see the nordies. Healy is moderate enough against prem players he knows, he only seems to be on fire against defenders who underestimate him/never heard of him.
    :eek:

Good old Irish begrudgery at it's best.

He scored thirteen goals in qualifying, got his team to a very good Third place finish in the group.

Jesus Christ, credit where it's due ffs.:rolleyes:

I think Healy is a great international, Id love to have him on our squad, but he hasnt fired Fulham into the big 4 has he? And Leeds werent doing a whole pile during his time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

loyatemu wrote: »
    what next round?
    1 team from each pot in each group.
    the group winners go to South Africa, the runners up play off for the remaining places.

I've edited the post I meant will the draw affect what manager we get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I wouldn't think so, we're bound to get a tricky side from the first pot, the most we can hope for is another mediocre 3rd place finish or, if we get a decent manager in, a play-off place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

)

and the playoff for Euro 96 and World cup 94 raping ;)

Czech rep and israel out of pot 1 and 2 please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

when is the draw?

Sunday 17:00 (durban time) 15:00 Irish time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I had a dream we got England. Would it be naive to assume that fixtures aganst England would go ahead without too much trouble from some of the *ahem* 'fans'?

Archimedes wrote: »
    I had a dream we got England. Would it be naive to assume that fixtures aganst England would go ahead without too much trouble from some of the *ahem* 'fans'?

I remember 95, i was only 11, all dessed up ready to go and my dad came into me and told me that we cant go - he had a bad feeling.

Turns out my seats were in the lower stand under the trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Belarus are pretty poor
    Albania

Nightmare

Scotland or Israel
    Latvia

:confused:

We beat them at Lansdowne in 2001. Other than that they have knocked us out of Euro 88 and World Cup 94 and beat us in the playoff for Euro 96. In World Cup 90 we both settled on a draw to progress from Group stages. Their have been no other competitive duels with them.

So, I'd say the bogeyness leans in their favour over the last 20 years.

Nunu wrote: »

We beat them at Lansdowne in 2001. Other than that they have knocked us out of Euro 88 and World Cup 94 and beat us in the playoff for Euro 96. In World Cup 90 we both settled on a draw to progress from Group stages. Their have been no other competitive duels with them.

So, I'd say the bogeyness leans in their favour over the last 20 years.

Ever been in work and typed up something really quickly because you arent even meant to be using the net for rec purposes at the time, and therefore the post isnt fully thought through?

Ahem :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

needless to say the 'new Ireland' with our flashy new manager with experience and our fantastic young players will take Europe and the world by storm! So we won't need to rely on bogey-teams for results, our scintillating flowing football will blow every team away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nunu wrote: »

I think we were the first team to ever beat them in the Amsterdam Arena (built in '95) when we won there a couple of years ago. The boos they got off the pitch that night was worse than ours vs Cyprus and a few of their players got dropped from the team for the Euros. We drew with them over there too so I'd say bogey team in the last 5 years. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would be chuffed with this one:

Greece
    Scotland
    Ireland
    Wales
    Kazakhstan
    Liechtenstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Czech Republic - I'd pick them over a Greek side who pretty much ran away with their group, especially since we've played them so recently.
    Israel - For the return of Dudu Awat to Dublin.
    Republic of Ireland
    Wales - Would be very happy with either the Welsh or Hungary
    Austria - Cack. Just utter cack.
    San Marino - Guaranteed 4 points (we should be able to get a draw in the away game :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Greece - Probably the poorest team from the top seeds.
    Poland - Not a great team that over achieved in recent campaigns. Plus the game in Dublin would have an amazing atmosphere!
    Republic of Ireland
    Hungary - Terrible team, so much so that and I can see us even winning in Budapest.
    Kazakhstan - Just for the Borat banter.
    Luxembourg - Like San Marino but we less heart.

Is the draw going to be televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is the draw going to be televised?
    Yeah it going to be televised on the....eh....telly

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah it going to be televised on the....eh....telly

Which channel, do you know? I'd like to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sky Sports News always have these draws on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

jameshayes wrote: »
    I remember 95, i was only 11, all dessed up ready to go and my dad came into me and told me that we cant go - he had a bad feeling.

Turns out my seats were in the lower stand under the trouble.

I remember '95, I was only 10, all dressed up and ready to go and there was no f*cking way we were going to miss Ireland v England in Lansdowne!

Turns out my seats were pretty much opposite the trouble, I remember my uncle spotting it when it was just two or three people throwing digs. It spread like wildfire, needless to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

It's not on RTE or Eurosport.

It's on BBCi (press the red button on BBC1 or 2), Sky Sports News and ITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

It's on rte.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I hope we are not in the five team group, for the simple reason I want a match against a minnow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Greece/Czech Rep
    England/Israel
    IRELAND
    Macedonia
    Albania
    San Marino

I'd really love to get england

Me to, but to say Macedonia would be a good draw is insane, sure we may be assured a home 3 points but away a defeat would be very possible.

TBH i know little about any teams from pot 4 down.

Sorry I meant to say in my opinion. When I say insane I'm not saying its stupid, as if we want to qualify then we should be beating Macedonia, just I feel we could get a weaker team.

Hungary are a poor team.

dare I say cyprus should be an easy 6 points?

Tough one, I would prefer them to Macedonia.

I can just see England being in the same group.

Lol on sky sports the guy said Greece struggled through their qualifying group..the got more points than anyone else. This guy is meant to be an expert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Jezus get on with it ffs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement