Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry Street Christmas Stalls

Options
  • 23-11-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Last Christmas I was in Krakow and they had a lovely Christmas market set up in the main square. Walking down Henry street this morning I see they are preparing to open up the the Irish version of a Christmas market. Yes, at leat 30 stalls selling lighters, out of date Toblerone, luminos fake shirts, gold plated jewelery and cheap toys. Is this t he best Dublin Corpo can come up with ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

its a waste of space alright, afaik its some sort of legcy thing that these licenses were granted years ago.

theres a christimas fair down in the ifsc which starts around mid december and is much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I guarentee you, there is more than one sh*tty street in Krakow selling knock off crap, lighters and illegal items. You didn't go there, cause you are a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

They do the Central European style Christmas market up at the docklands... well they did last year anyway.

It was a bit on the pricey side, but pretty well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When they were younger my children used to love going into Henry St. just to hear the accents yelling out their wares!..

"Wrappin paaaaaaaaper ten sheeets for too you-row".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

Mairt wrote: »

Love the impression! So accurate.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

And whatever happened to the very "care worn" gents selling the long strips of stickin' plasters for a pound on henry street. I used to wonder who in their right mind would buy one of them and use it on their cuts and grazes...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

there's a great market in the docklands every December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They do the Central European style Christmas market up at the docklands... well they did last year anyway.

+1 for this.
    Head up to the IFSC to see a good Christmas market.
    It was a German theme two years ago. Drinking mulled wine, frankenfurters and Erdinger under the outside heater and music playing
    It was class :)

They should scrap the Henry St stalls. They are taking up space on an already packed street and they are only selling cheap rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mairt wrote: »
    When they were younger my children used to love going into Henry St. just to hear the accents yelling out their wares!..

Back in my day, Lighters were ''foive fer a pou-ind''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

More like

"Wrappin paaaaaaaaper 5 for fifty".

A pound would get you 10 sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Geh ur Cheeki Charlis.
    Cotin sportz soks 3 for a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

ah the memories of coming up to dublin at christmas time and being on henry street....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thaedydal wrote: »
    More like

"Wrappin paaaaaaaaper 5 for fifty".

A pound would get you 10 sheets.

this is what i remember too :D

i love henry street at christmas, it bring back so many memories, like the day my granny lost my 2 year brother in the middle of the madness.

+1 for the market in the IFSC - its is brilliant, very european

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The best time to visit Henry Street at Xmas is in the evening/nightime when the lights are on and the street is half empty. It's clean and quiet, and the lights look lovely.

The docklands Xmas market is tops. Get your German beer, sausages, Gluvine.. and it's sooo Christmassy with all the trees and the festive music playing. I love it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the official form was '5 for 50 de wrappin' paypurr'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Thaedydal wrote: »
    "Wrappin paaaaaaaaper 5 for fifty"..
    yep, ratten paper indeed went 5 for fiff-dee.
    I think just about everything on moore street went 5 for 50 at one one stage, except the bloke up the top selling the bars of dairymilk, he was 5 for a pound or 12 if you gave him 2 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

When is the ifsc market on?
    I've never been.

Excellent to see another thread complaining about Dublin being turned around. Its like a good rugby team "turning the ball over"!

Looking forward to checking out the IFSC... thanks for posting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

bronte wrote: »
    When is the ifsc market on?
    I've never been.

It's called the 12 Days of Christmas Market, but I've a feeling it's the 12 days before Christmas! Go down the week before and it should be up and running!

Ah, here you go!

http://www.dublindocklands.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=94&3nID=94&4nID=94&5nID=94&6nID=94&pID=94&nID=367

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yeah I can never understand why those knackers are granted licences to sell that disgusting crap on the streets. It's so bloody tacky. Why is it that they're allowed run those horrible stalls and collect the scratcher too? It seems there's one law for townies and one law for the rest of us. Any of my European friends back home thought it was nasty and cheap and tacky, as do I, we should try and emulate the German way of doing things in the town centres at xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Henry Street does be jammers enough with all the christmas shoppers without plonking them ugly cheap stalls on the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Hey, why don't we go the whole hog and get in some brass bands, sauerkraut and all dress in leiderhosen? This is Dublin and, distasteful as these stallholders may be to you snobs, they are undeniably Dublinesque.
    People have already talked of their childhood memories being rekindled by the banter of the hawkers and that to me is more relevant to Christmas than some abstract and over-romanticized vision of a Black Forest Christmas you never had.

oh gimme a break... I'm not being snobby it's just tacky and distasteful. Oh yeah but they throw out such witty banter these salt of the Earth inner city Dubs, sure they do...
    I suppose the droves of heroin addicts parading around Abbey st and Pearse st are part of what makes Dublin Dublin too are they? Am I a snob for disliking those knackers too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    oh gimme a break... I'm not being snobby it's just tacky and distasteful. Oh yeah but they throw out such witty banter these salt of the Earth inner city Dubs, sure they do...
    I suppose the droves of heroin addicts parading around Abbey st and Pearse st are part of what makes Dublin Dublin too are they? Am I a snob for disliking those knackers too?

i agree with you brazilianz, it really drags down an area that is improving rapidly

Yes well I'm awaiting the "They deserve to be there more than us!!!" crap to start spewing out now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

oh gimme a break... I'm not being snobby

Of course you're not
    yeah I can never understand why those knackers are granted licences to sell that disgusting crap on the streets. It's so bloody tacky. Why is it that they're allowed run those horrible stalls and collect the scratcher too? It seems there's one law for townies and one law for the rest of us.

so you don't think the people running those stalls are still claiming wellfare? Remove the blinkers mate.

we should try and emulate the German way of doing things in the town centres at xmas.

Eh... no. Why should we emulate anyone? The area is famous for hawkers and traders.

The traders are there for a reason, they are making money, they are popular amongst people who can't afford expensive xmas's. They are offering a service that people are using. They have been there for years.

Their wares are not just bought by Dubliners, a huge amount of their revenue is made by foreign and rural shopers.

If you and your European friends don't like it because you think its tacky (xmas is tacky) avoid the area. Stick to BT's and Grafton st.

As for the druggies, they have them in Germany too.

Advertisement