Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright star: does anyone know its name?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

For the last few mornings my daughter has noticed a star in a south easterly direction which is brighter than all of the rest. Even when it is geting light and all the others have disappeared this one is still visible.

Does anyone know what it is called?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

Not a star, it's Venus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MOD

Hi Yorky,

I reckon 12bore is right, it is not a "star" but it is a "planet" and it is Venus.
    If you or your daughter have an interest ( I think you have - or you wouldn't be looking here), check out http://www.stellarium.org. Here you can download a program (small)that will give you a detailed view of the sky and you an fast forwawrd to a date or time that will show you all the detail in the sky at any time you choose. It is really user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your reply. I've tried downloading this file but it just leaves a desktop icon that Windows does not recognise. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MOD

Hi Yorky,

I am presuming you are downloading to Microsft Windows. If so just click on the "for Windows" option on the top right quarter of the screen. Then just follow the prompts "Next" and "Yes" and you should get to where you are downloading a file which is 34.9 MB. When the download is complete, double click on the icon you downloaded and it should then start to install itself as a new program.
    Good Luck!!!

Advertisement