Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wendy house flower boxes

Options
  • 23-11-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Just taken delivery of a new wendy house with wooden flower boxes underneath the windows. The flower boxes have drain holes in the bottom but I assume they will need lining with plastic with holes cut where the drain holes are, a layer of stones in the bottom for drainage, compost/soil and then plants of choice. Is this correct?

Also, can anyone suggest what to plant in them - something hardy that won't need a lot of care and will look reasonable all year round.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd put a small-leafed variegated ivy in each - they practically thrive on neglect, are evergreen and will trail nicely.
    Then you can put in whatever bedding plants are in season, ie primroses in Spring. Pansies can be grown from seed any time of year and will flower.
    If you just pierce the lining plastic in a few places it should be fine, there's no need to cut holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Pansies can be grown from seed any time of year and will flower.

Thanks for the reply. When you state the above, can I plant some seeds in a seed tray now? And when can the young plants be planted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Yorky, there are lots of tips in this article Window box gardening tips.

Advertisement