Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to buy parts

Options
  • 23-11-2007 12:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

I plan on building a PC next year and was just wondering if someone could recommend me a site or a shop in cork where I can buy parts.

cheers for the help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

would you concider buyng online?
    would be cheaper than in a shop.

komplett are good, but prices are a little higher than others.
    dabs.ie are great
    overclockers.co.uk and yoyotech.co.uk would be my reccomened places

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ya I probbly will end up buying the parts online,but just wanted to know know if there were shops I could just walk in and buy them,

cheers for the sugguestion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There are no shops in ireland you can buy pc parts from.... Without being bent over a barel and being gang raped buy a bunch of black fellas. I.e You will be ripped off.

If you are going to buy online, forget the irish E-tailers and go straight for the uk.

www.scan.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.microdirect.co.uk
    www.yoyotech.co.uk

Try and get everything in the same place, as it will save on delivery costs.

Dont even bother buying from the german ones. they dont accept a CC so a bank transfer is yoru only way, and you dont have much comeback with one of those. Also they hardly speak english, and their customer service is appauling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

www.komplett.ie :) one of the best sites going for pc parts

strongr wrote: »
    www.komplett.ie :) one of the best sites going for pc parts

They are good, but over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Anti wrote: »
    Dont even bother buying from the german ones. they dont accept a CC so a bank transfer is yoru only way, and you dont have much comeback with one of those. Also they hardly speak english, and their customer service is appauling.

There great besides the hassle of money bank transfer,slowish delivery (10 to 14 days,though it is only €24) and poor customer care....

Ive bought loads of stuff of them and havent had any problems besides the above.....If your building a pc from scratch they cant be beaten imo....

Eg...€550 gaming machine

Pentium Dualcore E2160 €61

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=17477&agid=398

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L €75.98

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=18314&agid=659

WD Caviar 250GB €52.50

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?agid=689&aid=5795&basket.add_aid=5795&basket.tkt=3

Samsung DVD-RW €27.34

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=10229&agid=282

Coolermaster Centurion5 Case €45.33

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=5539&agid=631

2048MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 €48.87

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=8407&agid=599

Corsair VX550 PSU €67.22

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=17793&agid=240

Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 256MB GDDR3 €140.11

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VgYBR3v_ow9le/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=19178&agid=716

€546.21 including delivery....

You just cant get that quality at that price in irish or uk online retailers imo...

And ive never had any of that hassle with a uk company that wasnt my fault

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Well I'm very disappointed with OCUK -They kept my stuff for 2 and 1/2weeks , And every time i rang them i got different reasons -out off stock( I checked every bit before ordering) , second time-"We are just about to print and send off your order" , the last time they was out of LABELS :eek: "Delivery in 48 hours" .

And when I send email requiring explanation and provide me with date of expecting shipment- My order was canceled as I was REQVESTING

No mo OcUk FOR ME.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

What happens when Compuland don't have the stuff in stock, and they have to order it from outside? They've got three stars beside these items in your cart. How long does it take them to fetch those things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ha, OCUK are well presented and have some decent stock, but they are quite pricey. Not to mention they are almost gestapo like in their control over "customer reviews" and the forums. Their webnote system is annoying as you cannot stay in contact with one sales representative easily. I'd still order off them though.

L31mr0d and myself had an interesting RMA experience with them:

Ordered a Silver NEC 3550 DVD RW drive....

...received a Silver NEC 7173 Labelflash drive, wrong size for the case! OCUK cited this as the stock guy choosing a "good approximation" for an out of stock item, even though 10+ were listed when ordered.

RMA'd the drive, pointing out clearly that only the SILVER 3550 would suffice....

....receieved a BEIGE NEC 3550 drive

...L31mr0d and myself quite annoyed at this point and not wanting to go through their shambolic RMA procedure anymore, L31mr0d kept the drive and painted it silver!

Hardwareversand.de are excellent, yes delivery is slow due to bank transfer but their delivery/packaging/service is fantastic in typical teutonic fashion. Very good prices also!

Komplett are ok, pricey and the stories about RMAs would make Walmart blush!

Dabs.ie are still unknown to me, I've bought one item off them and it went swimmingly, don't know much about their RMA procedure.

My advice to any new shoppers:

- Shop around (duh!)
    - Don't be afraid of Ebay or second hand off adverts, lone sellers have much more to gain/lose by being helpful than larger e-tailers.
    - Be aware that low prices are only one part of the equation, a good returns policy (RMA) is essential when things go wrong with computer parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

A friend is considering getting this machine from Dell:

Components
    AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    Dell™ 19" Silver Wide Flat Panel (SE198WFP) - UK/Irish
    1024MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
    128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Dell™ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black

€600

I already have an OS and I'm thinking about putting together a better specced machine for her but would only buy components from a place that that has a good returns/aftercare service.

Are Dell the best 'peace of mind' option?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Depends, will she be using the "better spec" or just surfing/using office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

There selling an 8800 Ultra in PC world in waterford..

700 smackers

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Ordered stuff off Drive-City.de (which is a Compuland site) on Wednesday the 14th/Nov, payed by Bank Transfer on Thursday the 15th, they received my money on Tuesday 20th/Nov and I received the parts today. And saved at least 200 euros seeing as I didnt order from ripoff Uk and Irish stores. The only thing cheap in Uk stores is optical drives, why they are cheaper, i do not know!

German stores all the way

km-eletronik.de are good aswell if you can find what you want, postage is 20euro like drive-city but you can pay by paypal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Depends, will she be using the "better spec" or just surfing/using office?

I haven't actually checked the extent of gaming she hopes to do on it, but that's the machine she chose. What I should have said is:

"I'm thinking about putting together a better value machine for her".

The Dell machine doesn't seem like you're getting much 'bang for your buck' but is buying from Dell the best option for hassle-free aftersales/returns service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Anybody got the IBAN details for hardwareversand including bank and hardwareversand addresses?

dazftw wrote: »
    There selling an 8800 Ultra in PC world in waterford..

700 smackers

I bet its PNY too. Jesus what a rip-off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Anti wrote: »
    I bet its PNY too. Jesus what a rip-off

Yea I think so lol I think they have 7600gt's for €215 :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i found hardwareversand great no probs and bank transfer isn't all that much trouble if you have the right bank.

i used dabs.ie a couple of times an have to say their customer service is fantastic. they sent me the wrong HD once so i went to there online live chat thing which is great and RMA'd it they actually sent a courier round to pick it up from me and was all sorted out in 7-10 days, it was a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

hardwareversand all the way. ive bought from komplett for a few years and they were great but have gone downhill on price. after sales service is all but non existant to the point that its a risk to buy anything from them without comeback and they will mess u around asking for copies of postal receipts etc and still not honour agreements and then maybe 6 months later u get an email saying your returned part arrived lol! they also dont keep their iteniary up to date on their web****e. basically they are now messers.
    On the other hand hardwareversand are class on price and serivce if u can get over the pay by bank transfer in advance. i have had my isseus with their gear and they have been fast and efficient in making me happy, fair play...

Advertisement