Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux software Raid 5 - my experience

• 23-11-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Well....I just finished building my raid 5 array there last night. It's made up of 3 x 750G hitachi hdd's.

Original config was:
    2 x 200G samsungs and 1 x 320G seagate in LVM. This was running out of space and the 3 x single points of failure = nervous Khannie, so I decided to go with the software raid 5 built into the linux kernel (for a variety of reasons, not least of which was the lack of manufacturer lock in).

So I followed this guide on the gentoo wiki (great resource).

Basically I copied all of the data from the LVM onto a single 750G drive (drive A), then set up a broken raid 5 array (i.e. running with 2 disks out of 3...drives B and C), copied over from the 750G drive to the new 1.5TB raid 5 array (drives B and C), verified that the data was good, then added the first 750G drive (Drive A) to the array (wiping its contents, but adding the redundancy). Presto! Migration complete. (The migration takes a long time mind you. Averaged around 50MB/s.)

Then...

and this is the good bit....

I ran a speed test with hdparm.....

164MB/s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was lying, so I did:
    time cat <largefile> > /dev/null
    and found out that it was actually running at around 150MB/s. Super super impressed.

I went with XFS for the filesystem. I'd read good things about it and I'm not disappointed. Deletes are very fast.

Edit: I should point out that there is a computational overhead associated with writing to the disk (to create the parity blocks) so heavy disk usage = CPU overhead. I have a quad core, so this isn't an issue for me, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Nice report.
    Thanks for the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No worries. :)

99% sure I'm gonna use the 2 x 200G samsung P120's in raid 1 as the OS drive. They should be pretty nippy too, but not as fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

refresh my memory on what Distro/kernel you are using again? Did you set it up thru a GUI or command line?

I want to doe a single NAS in the new house, and the prices for the HD enclousures are nothing short of a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm using gentoo. I set it up through the command line, but it was very straightforward. The guide I linked to should work for any distro (except for the software installation commands). For a file server, I'd say centos server would be just lovely.

Advertisement