Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Safety Question, and one about Heating

Options
  • 23-11-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Guys,

Renting a 1 bed in Dublin, it's on the 3rd floor, at the very back of the house. There is not one smoke alarm that I can see, and my only escape route out would be through a long corridor (I'm at the very end of it) past 4 or 5 other apartments. As I'm on the 3rd, and it's a concrete yard, I do not fancy my chances on survival if I chose the window route.

What rights have I here to order a safety review or something?

Also, regards hot water/heating. I get 2 hours in the evening and 2 hours in the morning of each but otherwise I have no control over it, and I'm freezing at the moment.. Do I have rights here?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Punchbowl wrote: »
    Guys,

Renting a 1 bed in Dublin, it's on the 3rd floor, at the very back of the house. There is not one smoke alarm that I can see, and my only escape route out would be through a long corridor (I'm at the very end of it) past 4 or 5 other apartments. As I'm on the 3rd, and it's a concrete yard, I do not fancy my chances on survival if I chose the window route.

What rights have I here to order a safety review or something?

Also, regards hot water/heating. I get 2 hours in the evening and 2 hours in the morning of each but otherwise I have no control over it, and I'm freezing at the moment.. Do I have rights here?

Not sure about hot water/heating but as far as I know there is a requirement under the current building regs for fire alarms.

Also your escape route has to be protected in such a way that if fire was to occur collapse wouldn't happen for 30mins. Cant remember the details

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Punchbowl wrote: »
    Renting a 1 bed in Dublin, it's on the 3rd floor, at the very back of the house. There is not one smoke alarm that I can see, and my only escape route out would be through a long corridor (I'm at the very end of it) past 4 or 5 other apartments. As I'm on the 3rd, and it's a concrete yard, I do not fancy my chances on survival if I chose the window route. What rights have I here to order a safety review or something?
    You could talk to the local council Fire Officer, especially if you have specific concerns.
    Is this shared heating? If they specified from the start that they provide X amount of heating, thats all you are entitled to, buy a heater. Only heat where you need it.

Advertisement