Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Security problems: HELP!

• 23-11-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I'm having two problems with my Vista pc, I don't know whether they're related or two seperate issues:

(1) The Internet Explorer information bar at the bottom right of my screen says that protected mode is off. When I double-click it to change security settings everything looks normal and "enable protected mode" box is ticked on.

(2) Secondly, after start-up, Windows security centre tells me that there no Windows security is in place. When I go to Windows Security Centre I'm told that the "Security Centre service is turned off" even though the "four security essentials" are turned on: Update, firewall, defender, internet options. When I click on the "Turn on now" button I am told that "the security service can't be started".

Heres the currrent security programs I have in place for those who require such info: AVG Free Anti-Virus, AVG Free Anti-Spyware and Adware, Hijackthis, Spybot Search & Destroy, Zone Alarm and AVG Free Rootkit.

Would anyone who has advice on how to remidy the above problems please reply asap as I'm not sure whether I should even be online. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

I have a very similar problem! A few months back I got it sorted cos there was an error on my date/ clock - ie three years in the future!:o

It came back again last month, but a friend of mine said its probably down to a problem with vista - I have practically the same stuff (AVG etc) as you have. Hopefully a service pack will be released soon to sort it out.

If its not vista - then I'd say I'm foooked cos I've been online despite it the past few weeks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Does the warning disappear after a while? I had this issue in XP in the past while whereby I got warnings from Security Centre initially at boot-up but it would be fine after a few minutes. No longer using it but I tried all sorts of things to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GSW

ethernet wrote: »
    Does the warning disappear after a while? I had this issue in XP in the past while whereby I got warnings from Security Centre initially at boot-up but it would be fine after a few minutes. No longer using it but I tried all sorts of things to fix it.

I dont know if youre familiar with Vista but it appears in a floating column at the bottom right hand corner above program icon's. Ya, it disapperars after a while, but the fact that it appeared AT ALL makes me a little nervy being online to say the least. Im still scanning with all the programs I have and i'm told that my system is clear but I ain't too happy about it, I don't know why Windows security centre or the protected mode properties won't accept my commands. More worrying than annoying...

The two attachments below: The first one shows the "protected mode" problem and second shows the " Window security problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I think I had a similar problem when trying to run as a non-administrative user with UAC turned off. Try making sure you have UAC turned on, or log in as an admin user and see if this is the problem.

If you're already an admin user and/or UAC is already on, then I've no idea :confused:

I think I had a similar problem when trying to run as a non-administrative user with UAC turned off. Try making sure you have UAC turned on, or log in as an admin user and see if this is the problem.

If you're already an admin user and/or UAC is already on, then I've no idea :confused:

Whats "UAC" when it's at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

UAC stands for user account control. Go to run box and type msconfig. then click on the tools tab. scroll down and you will see enable uac and disable uac. click on the one you want and click the launch button. hope this helps.

Steo46 wrote: »
    UAC stands for user account control. Go to run box and type msconfig. then click on the tools tab. scroll down and you will see enable uac and disable uac. click on the one you want and click the launch button. hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing that up. I enabled it...BUT PROTECTED MODE STILL WONT TURN ON AND WINDOWS SECURITY CENTRE STILL WONT TURN ON EITHER!!! This is so frustrating, I even posted this on other forums and still no success...I don't know what to do, I feel I've done everything...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Your existing protection software could be interfering with Vista. Log in as admin and disable these at startup, make sure MS security is turned on and reboot. If you still have a problem, double check that your avg stuff and etc are not turned on.

Could be that some existing app is overriding your Vista settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

GSW wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up. I enabled it...BUT PROTECTED MODE STILL WONT TURN ON AND WINDOWS SECURITY CENTRE STILL WONT TURN ON EITHER!!! This is so frustrating, I even posted this on other forums and still no success...I don't know what to do, I feel I've done everything...:(

Are you sure you're not loading your browser up in safe mode? I've seen it before where the shortcut says nothing about safe mode.

It's simple but it may be the cause of your prob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I've come across this too. Your system is actually protected, but Vista is incapable of talking to itself in the third person [/sarcasm]; it is just the security monitoring software that is messing up, not your security applications.

• Advertisement
Advertisement