Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding in the UK

Options
  • 23-11-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Ok people I am sure this one is going to get you all fired up. I need to get an asnwer on this. Lets say you take the ferry with you car over to the UK. You drive trough all the speed cameras at speed do they send the fine back home to Ireland? We were debating this at workd today but we still dont know the answer. The way we see it if a car comes in from another EU country and speeds trough all the speed traps the fine proberly wont go to them as the Gardi wont know what to do with it when it turns up on the tape from the speed camera. Does the same apply in the UK/EU? I am not going to speed in the UK but i see alot of UK drivers doing it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

A lad on one of the forums got a fine from up the north on the M1 fixed camera think it was £80 i forget but he got it in the post no points mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

A lad on one of the forums got a fine from up the north on the M1 fixed camera think it was £80 i forget but he got it in the post no points mind you.
    Would be expensive if you made a habit of it. Could get done for a few grand in a day if you were determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Often wondered what the story is with Nothern drivers coming down here and speeding like fcuk. The N17 is particulary bad for it from what I can see. Is there any fines and/or points given to this drivers in the English system if they're caught by the guards here?

About 20% of fines went to foreign licensed drivers in 2006.

ballooba wrote: »

Are they made pay I wonder? Who goes after them if they don't? I'm sure they won't get extradited if they don't :)

• Advertisement

bman wrote: »
    Are they made pay I wonder? Who goes after them if they don't? I'm sure they won't get extradited if they don't :)
    Why would they be extradited for failing to pay a speeding ticket? What kind of insecure fascist are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

No but since the last year there is an EU law regarding speeding tickets.
    Any country in EU can now send tickets over and is entitled to be paid.
    If you don't pay the fine the recovery can be enforced.
    So if you get one, better to pay it right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Are they any numbers on the percentage of foreign cars on Irelands roads. I'd guesstimate less than 5%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

mick.fr wrote: »
    No but since the last year there is an EU law regarding speeding tickets.
    Any country in EU can now send tickets over and is entitled to be paid.
    If you don't pay the fine the recovery can be enforced.
    So if you get one, better to pay it right away.

I got a speeding ticket in germany last year in a rental car, didnt pay it and havent heard anything since:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They are planning on bringing out a EU wide points system aren't they? Or at least UK/IE ... this way any outstanding fines and points from NI (for example) would blend onto your Irish license ... so I hear .. but I know little ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ciaranfo wrote: »
    They are planning on bringing out a EU wide points system aren't they? Or at least UK/IE ... this way any outstanding fines and points from NI (for example) would blend onto your Irish license ... so I hear .. but I know little ..

But that will take ages to be done look at the intergrated ticking from transit in Dublin. I think we are a good 5 years away from that. I am fed up of seeing nothern cars driving like made here. An english car crashed into me in August it cost me 500 euro to fix my car the guards found out when he had left the country that he told them an insurance company which does not exsit. The cant do anything to him unless he enters Ireland again. These drivers think they can come into our little country and wrek it. I know its not all UK drivers but they do stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Lets say you did that, got fines.. refused to pay... could you imagine a few years later getting stopped over there. A routine check on your plate and the bobby sees you owe thousands in unpaid speeding fines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'd be as cautious speeding in the UK as I would be in Ireland. If you get a narky cop in the UK, he can either arrest you, or seize your car, or something to that effect (So i've been told, could be total bull) Any time i'm in the UK (Granted i'm not usually driving my own car so obviously that bit more cautious) I'm a proper Sunday driver, hardly go over the speed limit out of pure paranoia

One of the guys in work is from NI though he lives here now. Drives a UK reg car. Anyway, he was done this week doing 130 in a 100km zone. Stupidly when asked for his address he gave his Dublin address and not his NI address. He was arrested, fined and will probably have to pay VRT etc on his car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Saruman wrote: »
    One of the guys in work is from NI though he lives here now. Drives a UK reg car. Anyway, he was done this week doing 130 in a 100km zone. Stupidly when asked for his address he gave his Dublin address and not his NI address. He was arrested, fined and will probably have to pay VRT etc on his car now.

Arrested? For speeding? Was he snorting lines of coke when the cop approached or something?? :confused:

No, think about it.... why would a Garda arrest someone in a foreign reg car with foreign license plates instead of giving an on the spot fine and penalty points?

DonJose wrote: »
    Are they any numbers on the percentage of foreign cars on Irelands roads. I'd guesstimate less than 5%.
    Foreign drivers, not cars. I hope your not off down the racism route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Should have put it straight into his green bin and forgot about it. I hope he didnt pay it :eek: What are they going to do, send a PSNI officer down to knock on his door? My bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Don't the UK, NI and other countrys go after un payed fines outside their duristrictions via debt collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pipsss

kilasser wrote: »
    Don't the UK, NI and other countrys go after un payed fines outside their duristrictions via debt collectors.
    im over in london every other week in van and forever getting parking tickets must have at least 50 by now (everytime i stop to collect goods they pounce and stick a ticket on me)i keep getting lovely threatening letters from debt collectors(who change all the time)now for the last five years and just fcuk them in the bin

• Advertisement

Why would they be extradited for failing to pay a speeding ticket? What kind of insecure fascist are you?

I was taking the pi55 . I know they're not going to be extradited.

edit - be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

DonJose wrote: »

As we have no native car manufacturing in this country, ALL cars on our roads are foreign cars

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What kind of insecure fascist are you?

After a comment like that, you're surprised someone is going to say something back at you? C'mon, ballooba. You've been around long enough to know better than that...

kilasser wrote: »

Trust me mate they wont bother their hole for £70. Anyway best of luck with that one lads :rolleyes:

pipsss wrote: »
    im over in london every other week in van and forever getting parking tickets must have at least 50 by now (everytime i stop to collect goods they pounce and stick a ticket on me)i keep getting lovely threatening letters from debt collectors(who change all the time)now for the last five years and just fcuk them in the bin

Proper order :D

bman wrote: »
    I was taking the pi55 . I know they're not going to be extradited.
    I missed the smiley. Sorry. I hate people who have to drag immigration into every discussion and blame everything on 'foreigners'. Thankfully I was mistaken this time.

I missed the smiley. Sorry. I hate people who have to drag immigration into every discussion and blame everything on 'foreigners'. Thankfully I was mistaken this time.

No problem.

Advertisement