Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Widows

Options
  • 23-11-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I brought my DS with me on holidays last month, I didn't play it much, after all I was on holidays, but even if I did want to play it, I couldn't, because my girlfriend was monopolising it a bit. She was playing bomerman in our free time. This is nice I thought, she like video games.

In a fit of generosity and stupidity I bought Zelda for her to play.

Now two weeks later she has her own DS and every time she rings me, tells me the latest adventure she has engaged in.

I went to collect her for the cinema last night and she walked down the stairs (not ready) and scribbling notes on her map. I might get her a crap game to stop this crazy addiction.

I thought I was bad, I guess some people just have addictive personalities. Prehaps its because its all new to her that it is so consuming? Regardless, In two weeks she has gone from only ever playing tetris to referring to characters in Zelda as if they were real people.

Is there a support group for gaming widows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ohhh booooo hooooo you lucky bastard

are you trying to rub this in my face, I would kill (maybe a small animal or something) to get my girlfriend interested in games so we could play together and i wouldn't then feel guilty if had a massive CoD4 session while she played a game too.

May I just repeat you lucky lucky bastard

Whenever I see koneko posting here, I am like, whoever her boyfriend is, he better realise how lucky he is to have a gaming girlfriend.

You cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

rofl

beat her at her own game & take up wow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what I think a lot of blokes don't realise is that wimmins DO like games, just not the same games as guys. Most of the girls I know that like games usually like RPG, puzzle, platform, Sim games. My wife for example likes Mario games, PoP games and pick up and play casual gamer games.

For the longest time I thought she hated games because she wouldn't sit and watch me play racing or FPS games. Where as i'd happily watch her play these games and give her pointers. It wasn't until I realised which genres of games she liked that i realised why she got bored when I was playing mine, because even 20 minutes of watching someone play zelda or the Sims and i'm out like a light. She now has her games and I have mine. We both like to play platformers together but that's about it.

I've realised woman like games that are relaxing and fun, most men like games that are exciting and adrenalin filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I've realised woman like games that are relaxing and fun, most men like games that are exciting and adrenalin filled.

You've never met my girlfriend then, the anti gaming female.

So so jealous of you lads, I've been with her 8 years believe me i've tried

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Vegeta wrote: »
    You've never met my girlfriend then, the anti gaming female.

some women refuse to like games on principle being brought up by parents that found them abhorrent. Start her off with some addictive popcap games and you will soon find she likes games more than you think

I give it 1 more generation before video games are as common place as the television. I know my grandparents found TV to be abhorrent and a waste of time, yet its odd now to enter someones house and there not be a TV. Our generation is one of the first ones to be completely brought up with video games, and we will likely raise our children to find them normal also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I rarely get to see my DS anymore.
    Herself has cleared games before I get to touch them.

I'm intimidated, and find solace only in my PC-bound FPSes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Start her off with some addictive popcap games and you will soon find she likes games more than you think

Give her peggle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

peggle = best game eeeevar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

My wife loves Peggle and games of that ILK. Tetris is another favourite, anything that is simple to play, especially the casual games. She can play away and watch tv etc at the same time. Lost villagers took up weeks of her time till she got it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ha, I'll show him this thread. It's all sunshine and rainbows until he wants to play the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack together and I feel like playing Halo 3/COD4 instead.

Also, he still won't play Guitar Hero with me, and no matter how much I moan at him to try it he still hasn't played Portal yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Did you explain to him that portal is the best game ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

madrab wrote: »
    rofl

beat her at her own game & take up wow :)
    Or just beat her??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

koneko wrote: »
    Ha, I'll show him this thread. It's all sunshine and rainbows until he wants to play the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack together and I feel like playing Halo 3/COD4 instead.

Also, he still won't play Guitar Hero with me, and no matter how much I moan at him to try it he still hasn't played Portal yet.

lol did i say something about your bf is a very lucky man last time on the brilliant RE deal?i keep having that idea in my brain till now.

envy to all of those people with gf who loves game!and OP,just save your money to movie and playing games with her instead:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

tba wrote: »
    Did you explain to him that portal is the best game ever?

Eureka! A breakthrough! He finally played it and loved it.
    I’m making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Sleep with other women to distract her from the DS.

Works every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Girls do like videogames but it's just that a lot of them really go out of there way not to play them because it's just something that supposedly isn't the done thing for girls. I get some awful abuse from my fellow labmates, especially the girls, about by obsession but when there's a house party they are begging me to bring the wii with me and then you can't get the girls off the thing at the parties. Now if only I could teach them to stop button mashing in Soul Calibur and Smash Bros.

I think some girls think that playing videogames is unattractive but if an average looking girl tells me she plays videogames she instantly becomes the most attractive girl in the bar :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I get some awful abuse from my fellow labmates, especially the girls, about by obsession but when there's a house party they are begging me to bring the wii with me and then you can't get the girls off the thing at the parties. Now if only I could teach them to stop button mashing in Soul Calibur and Smash Bros.

In fairness though, that's not just girls. A lot of males I know have the same opinion towards games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Froot wrote: »
    Sleep with other women to distract her from the DS.

Works every time.
    as if, it was hard enough to con one girl into going out with me

Advertisement