Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Backwards letters on transits, etc

Options
  • 23-11-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I've seen lots of transit vans (& similar) driving around with their company logo written backwards on the front: are they trying to be like an 'ambulance'....

I presume these idiot companies think they're being clever by doing this!? I ask, because if they want their name/brand to be read by people, wouldn't it make more sense to be catering to every single car coming towards them, as well as people on the streets, as oppossed to the handful of people that will ever bother to read it in a rearview mirror or sidemirror?

I guess they don't realise that ambulances do it so that when people hear the siren, they look in their rearview mirror to see what it is, and at a glance they read "ambulance", and can take action. It's not just a clever marketing tool!

Twats.

So does anyone here work for a company that's dumb enough to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'll bet you remember which companies do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Poppy Cock

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Poppy Cock wrote: »
    their company logo written backwards

Do you mean mirrored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

?
    It makes an advertising impact.

It makes an advertising impact.
    eh, it doesn't.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Do you mean mirrored?
    Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

eh, it doesn't.

In fairness, that's your opinion. Other's would think that it's a good idea and it works.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I remember them for being stupid, yes. And despite what the dumbasses who say "all publicity is good publicity say", I dispute that.

ned78 wrote: »
    In fairness, that's your opinion. Other's would think that it's a good idea and it works.
    Logic states otherwise - the fact that it looks wrong for 95% of the people who see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

ned78 wrote: »
    Other's would think that it's a good idea and it works.

We call those people 'morons'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I though companies were doing it so when you're rear ended by a tosspot in a transit at the M50 toll carpark, you know what company to ask directory enquiries for so you can complain using your hands free carkit..... No? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The only people going to be directly in front of a van advertising like this for long enough are those that are driving in front of them. When a van drives past you the side is what you will see for the longest, not the bonnet.

For all other pedestrians and road users the van would have advertising 'facing the right direction' on the side and back of the van which you would be able to see more clearly and for longer.

So it is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Same thing.

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

What was the company name on the van that you saw anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Logic states otherwise - the fact that it looks wrong for 95% of the people who see it!

'Logic' would dictate those people having difficulty reading the front of the van will then attempt to read the side or rear, thereby increasing the time the average punter spends looking at the van, and the van itself becoming an even smarter marketing tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

?

Well you noticed it whether you approved of it or not the ad worked it got to you. I bet you know who Daft Dave is too and what company he represents

endplate wrote: »
    I bet you know who Daft Dave is too and what company he represents

Never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Oh ok you never had your radio on for the last year so well that comment was wasted on you with the monkey and the liquidiser everything must go now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Can't believe someone doesn't know the difference between mirrored and
    backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Can't believe someone would let something like this bother them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I never got the Ambulance thing really myself. The siren and crazy blue flashing lights and headlights would be what would catch my attention.

As for companys doing it ... if the name sticks in your head I guess they feel it's been successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

When you see the word mirrored or upsidedown whether you like it or not your brain is going to make an extra effort to read what the word is, even if you glance at it, you're going to have an extra thought about what it said, or maybe glance back at it to see what it said...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

OP's over-reaction aside (post count++?).
    I don't think it would have taken me too long to figure out what an "ecnalubmA" was if it appeared in my rear view mirror but for some reason when I see the type of vehicles the OP is raging about, I actually find it harder to read, like my brain/eyes were expecting to be reading a mirror image. Weird.

Advertisement