Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry lips

• 23-11-2007 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Any good tips for repairing lips? Mine are always dry, cracked and sometimes sore (probably more so now with the cold weather), I wear lip gloss every day, put vaseline on them at night, use lip repair sticks etc....but they're still always really dry, any tips or rescue remedies? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Drinking plenty of water will help keep the lips moisturised .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I find that the more lip products you use, the more your lips dry out - hence you keep needing to replace them as your lips are always dry.
    I tend to stick to vaseline or labello sticks as they're the plainest, and try to avoid using them as much as possible anyway for the above reason. Aviod licking your lips to wet them if they're dry too, as this will only make them dryer in the long run.

Every morning and night, when you're brushing your teeth, brush your lips with the brush too, to get rid of flaky skin, and avoid all lip products with flavours or colours as these (IMO) tend to make the lips worse. Avoid the lipgloss for a while, if you need something during the day bring a little tin of vaseline or labello with you to slick on and see if your lips improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

You should try changing from Lip gloss to Lipstick for a while to see if it makes a difference.
    I know some lipsticks prevent your lips from getting dry and cracked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

+1 with the water, there's nothing better!

Do you also have dry skin?
    Do you work in an air conditioned building? could be the reason behind it!

Try taking multivitamins, might help! Also try some aloe vera products, I'm sure boots do them, stick with natural ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dry lips can also be a side effect of bad digestion, or so I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

I had really dry, chapped, sore lips a few weeks ago and I swear by that stuff for lips that they sell at the counter in Penneys. I think its called "cold balm". sorted me out quick smart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have you tried non petroleum based products?

My sister swears by Burts Bees lip balm. I've used it a bit and really like it too, whereas I feel vaseline aggravates it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Try non-petroleum based products...a friend recommended to stop useing them as they can make a condition worse.. I find vaseline bad, as I always have to areapply it real regular, like my lips will crack if I dont..I use a neutrogena stick one, and have used a Burts bees one that is pretty good too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

echosound wrote: »
    Every morning and night, when you're brushing your teeth, brush your lips with the brush too, to get rid of flaky skin,

Jesus, what ever you do, DON'T do this! That's absolutely killer for your lips. The skin on our lips is very very thin, 'brushing' them with a brush made for our teeth (enamel) would be disasterous! You may as well pick all the skin off for the good brushing them would do!

When the winter months hit, my lips always crack, I used to use vaseline but found that because there was so much petroleum in it, it didn't help heal my lips at all. Then i started using Carmex, it's fab! Yes, there is petroleum in Carmex too but it healed my lips in quick time! Lip glosses etc, will dry out your lips as much as vaseline will, try using carmex under the lip gloss instead of vaseline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Blistex, by far the best from I have terrible problems with it and I had found this the best. i would stay away from Lip balm as then you have to use it all the time, I think it gets rid of your natural protection . just use a cream as soon as you start notice it happening. I think its mainly from the wind, that's when I tend to get it, I dont find the oil based ones very good, they protect your lips but they wont heal it when they get bad. This one from their range works the best http://www.blistex.com/Lip%20Ointment.htm

Great, thanks a million for all your help, will give them a try! And drink more water!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've found that the honey stick from the Body Shop is amazing. I've had incredibly bad lips from licking my lips all the time but I've found that putting this on my lips at night before bed has them almost normal again by morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

elizabeth arden eight hour cream is brilliant! put it on at night. They have a special 8 hour lip chapstick out now. also burts bees or keihls lip salve are good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

aoife2k wrote: »
    Jesus, what ever you do, DON'T do this! That's absolutely killer for your lips. The skin on our lips is very very thin, 'brushing' them with a brush made for our teeth (enamel) would be disasterous! You may as well pick all the skin off for the good brushing them would do!

When the winter months hit, my lips always crack, I used to use vaseline but found that because there was so much petroleum in it, it didn't help heal my lips at all. Then i started using Carmex, it's fab! Yes, there is petroleum in Carmex too but it healed my lips in quick time! Lip glosses etc, will dry out your lips as much as vaseline will, try using carmex under the lip gloss instead of vaseline.

I don't mean scrubbing them frantically with wire steel FFS :) a light brush will do, it removes dry dead skin and stops further lip-peeling as the dry skin isn't still on the lips and curling "healthy" skin nearby off as well as it flakes off. I'm speaking from experience here, it cleared up dry skin on my lips and I don't need to wear anything much now, bar the odd slick of labello or suchlike.

And I'd steer clear of Carmex too - see the following tip from a consumer alert website, I remember hearing this years ago and googled just now to make sure it wasn't a myth:
    "When buying chapstick, check to make sure it doesn't contain salicylic acid, like Carmex does. This ingredient actually eats through skin layers. The result can be a vicious spiral of lip destruction and product reapplication"

Salicylic acid is used in topical acne treatments to dry out skin, and carmex is meant for coldsore treatment only.

The elizabeth arden 8 hr cream is meant to be good alright, and can be used for other areas too, not just the lips.

No I read that about brushing your lips with a toothbrush too...I also read that Vaseline just forms as a barrier and that you should use moisturiser? Any experience with moisturiser on your lips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Very true, vaseline isn't all that good. Anything with beeswax is a great start. I would strongly reccommend Lush's Honey Trap. It'd be interesting to see what you think!! (All my friends love it too):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I find Nivea Lip Repair stick good. Definitely drink lots of water though. Water helps everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Lips are just skin so when I put moisturiser on my skin I always put loads on my lips and I don't really have any problems any more even though I work in an air conditioned office. I used to use a lot of lip products and salve and they definitely made the problem worse. Since I started putting moisturiser on my lips morning and night that seemed to resolve it. I use Oil of Olay mostly as it's relatively cheap and you can buy it in supermarkets. Also try taking Berocca - its full of B and C vitamins which could help.

Advertisement