Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Cloning

Options
  • 23-11-2007 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone aware of any credible works or articles discussing human cloning?

I'm looking for a non-reactionary study of the moral questions raised by cloning.

also , any thoughts yourself on the subject?

Thanks, Marky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

By Clones do you mean the cells being recreated to forum new babies or trying to make a identical replication of body and mind of a person as they are at the present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

when i originally posted i had in mind the cloning of an adult human but i am interested in related aspects of cloning and genetic engineering.

i have since gotten books by Bryan Appleyard of the sunday times & a clone of your own? by arlene klotzko. the klotzko book looks at cloning from a scientific and largely positive perspective but if you have any suggestions of a more philosophical/ moral bent, i'd love to hear them.

marky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

A few years back did some mad doctor not say he was going to clone a human?? what happened

That's probably Clonaid you're thinking of. check them out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raelism#Human_cloning

There have been a few claims of successful human cloning but most have been written off as hoaxes or just plain bonkers. It seems that successfully cloning higher mammals is quite difficult. For every Dolly the sheep there are many aborted attempts, mutants and the like.

Horses, cows, rodents and cats have been cloned but dogs and monkeys are proving to be more difficult to replicate. From what I can gather human cloning,i.e., of a complete person from an existing adult or from embryonic stem cells, is a long way off even if any reasonable geneticist wanted to do it.

The moral issues where they arise seem to be in regard to the collateral damage ( the unsuccessful attempts) and their status, and to the status of successful clones ( do them have full human rights, are they property etc.)

The more immediate uses of cloning technology would be for therapeutic purposes like growing replacement organs and stuff and curing degenerative diseases. it seems to me, and please do correct me if I'm wrong here, that the only moral/ethical objections to therapuetic research are on pro-life grounds. Perhaps there's something I'm overlooking so please speak up if anyone has any insights.

cheers, marky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Goodbye Dolly?" The ethics of human cloning. J Harris article plus other articles in book " Ethics in practice "Hugh La Follette , Blackwell Philosophy Anthology 2007 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I've just got some singer stuff, including his one on george w. Looks interesting. and I'm looking out 4 the blackwell book. Sadly the library doesn't have it so it looks like i'll have to pay for it. :(;)

Merry Xmas,
    Marky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement