Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Manager in the World

• 23-11-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

So theres constantly discussion of who is the best player in the world, but who do you lot think is the best manager in the world? Discuss.

Who is the best manager in the world? 91 votes

Sir Alex Ferguson
    0% 0 votes
    Arsene Wenger
    37% 34 votes
    Jose Mourinho
    29% 27 votes
    Marcello Lippi
    3% 3 votes
    Fabio Capello
    5% 5 votes
    Carlo Ancelotti
    12% 11 votes
    Ottmar Hitzfeld
    2% 2 votes
    Felipe Scolari
    0% 0 votes
    Rafa Benitez
    2% 2 votes
    Other (Please Name)
    7% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ian Holloway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United fan: Ferguson
    Liverpool fan: Rafa
    Arsenal fan: Wenger
    Chelsea fan: Abramovic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

paul doolin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Steve Staunton. Criminally underrated and underappreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

4 replies before I got time to add the poll - quite impressive :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I like the manager of my local pub, where is that option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i dont think rafa is the best manager in the world, but the way i looked at it was IF rafa was to be saked tomorrow (let's hope not) I would want Capello in charge from all the managers I know of

with Lippi a close second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I out Rafa in to avoid a flaming war before votes were even cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seeing as Stan didn't make the cut it's gotta be Wenger for me. The man's simply brilliant. Love listening to him in interviews.

Honourable mention to Scolari for constantly shafting England. Once was unlucky but after that it was just funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Has to be capello

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Gary Megson. Without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Sacchi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I must be blind, I couldn't see the option for Sven. Mind you , Romario has been player manager on a temporoary basis for Vasco since a few weeks back, so at this exact moment in time, it has to be Romario. Romario for England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Roddy Collins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Helix wrote: »
    paul doolin

+1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Capello for me by only just edging out Pat Dolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sir Alex Ferguson, everyone else is crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Fergie then id say MOurinho tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

lippi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

GET IN THERE RAFA YA MAD SPANISH BASTARD!

seriously though, he is magic ya know?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVLwoihHBOw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

tdv wrote: »
    Sacchi.

Would be my vote but he's retired now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    GET IN THERE RAFA YA MAD SPANISH BASTARD!

seriously though, he is magic ya know?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVLwoihHBOw

he's nothin without his beard.... I love that clip though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

after this weeks result for boards, anybody agree with desf?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Capello has always been successful everywhere he went , his trophy haul is impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Big Ron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Sir Alex Ferguson, Closely followed by Vincent Del Bosque who won the La Liga and The Champions League only to be sacked days later :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Since I can't vote for Paul Doolin I'll have to go for Wenger. Ferguson has achieved more but that is primarily (though I hate to admit it) because United have been a bigger club than Arsenal for most of his time in charge.

Wenger has a greater ability, IMO, to get the best out of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'd have to go with Lippi. He's won it all including the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wenger. Legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fergie. He knows how to create a team of champions. A living legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I went with Fergie aswell because I don't think any of the current managers have taken over a club like he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Gotta be Lippi, he's won the World Cup and Champions League.
    Scolari and Capello close seconds

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Denis Wise Fabio Capello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I judge a manager on their ability to produce big results with limited resources. Back in the day Ferguson was the best when he was coming out with players like Giggs, Scholes, the Nevilles and Beckham. Now when he gets a new super prospect they cost up to £30million, so he's not really doing the same thing as before.
    Wenger is currently doing what Ferguson used to do. He's building a team of superstars who play quite possibly the most appealing football in the world for relative peanuts. I mean he didn't even spend all the Thierry Henry money! :eek: Compare that to what Martin Jol did with all his Spurs money.
    Lets not forget good aul Jack Charlton, somehow made Ireland a force in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wenger for a small budget has been utterly amazing. I don't think anybody could do what he did with Arsenal for that amount of money (his net spend in the last 13 years is still about 5 million)
    Fergie, on a large budget, has been utterly amazing. I don't think anybody could do what he did with United with the budget availible to him (including Wenger)

If I had to pick, I'd pick Fergie, just cause, but there's so little between them imo. I don't really know enough about continental managers to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd agree with you PHB to a large extent. It's not as easy to spend money wisely when you're spending big, witness Veron for Man Utd and Jeffers for Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'd have to agree. With all the resources available, I'd make a good job of it.

It was a leading question by the OP, but if you actually examine the candidates the top man is Capello. If by best you mean most successful. If you mean getting the best from your available resources, then it must be Guus Hiddink

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Ferguson simply has not done good enough in Europe to be considered for this and he has been there so long with only one win(and one final) to his name.
    I would have Bob Paisley as the best UK manager of all time. A much much better cups to years ratio than ferguson, (3 European Cups).

At the moment I think it's hard to say who's best.
    I feel there is a couple of managers who all have their ways and are fantastic.
    In this category I would put Wenger and Benitez.
    WC Draw for europe on now, need to finish up and concentrate!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Dont know about the best, but the worst is most certainly DesF, manager of the Boardeaux side. Worst coach that team has ever had. DESF OUT!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Galvasean wrote: »
    I judge a manager on their ability to produce big results with limited resources. Back in the day Ferguson was the best when he was coming out with players like Giggs, Scholes, the Nevilles and Beckham. Now when he gets a new super prospect they cost up to £30million, so he's not really doing the same thing as before.
    Wenger is currently doing what Ferguson used to do. He's building a team of superstars who play quite possibly the most appealing football in the world for relative peanuts. I mean he didn't even spend all the Thierry Henry money! :eek: Compare that to what Martin Jol did with all his Spurs money.
    Lets not forget good aul Jack Charlton, somehow made Ireland a force in world football.

the onli reason that ferguson has them resources is because he brought them players through to create such a brittish force in the nineties yet i would have to agree with you about wenger even thou i a united supporter arsenal is one of the greatest
    Sven also at club level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Went for Wenger. Have always been impressed by his ability to compete with clubs that have been forces since the Premiership's beginning on such a low budget. Mourinho did much the same albeit with a massive budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I voted for Fergie cos he's won everything with Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

Capello because while people have argued with his player choices and formations over the years, you cannot deny the kind of results he has achieved over his career, (not that he needs to, but) the only level he needs prove himself in is at International, and his comments of late seem to show he is willing to step up with the task. I'm unsure if England are the team he should do it with though.

Advertisement