Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what should spark plug leads and plug replacement cost?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Ok, just want to know if I'm getting ripped here as the price seems excessive. I'm being charged 128 euro for the leads and plugs to be replaced by a well known dealership in Dublin. Does that sound about right?
    Reason I'm asking is this place seems a bit of a money pit, this is my third time in since June, 1st time was for power steering transmission leaking, second time was the same problem with that plus misfiring and this time for both these problems again!
    Paid over 250 to get the power steering pump replaced first time, second and third time they've replaced it under warrenty.
    Paid over 250 to get a coil pack replaced last time and same one has been replaced this time under warranty as they said faulty spark plugs or leads were blowing it.
    I've questioned their diagnosis of the power steering, 2 "brand new" pumps failing within 6 months of driving seems ridiculous. I noticed before I brought it in there seemed to be transmission fluid seeping out of a point in the steering racket but they've discounted that each time.
    Anyway, just getting fed up at this stage as for the 3rd time this year I've been without my car for the same bloody problems. I'd go elsewhere except I'd end up having to pay full price to get something repaired that I've already paid for.
    Anyway, rant over :o. Back to the original question, does the price I've been quoted for those parts and labour seem a bit much?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Buy them in a motor factors and fit them yourself? Should be straightforward enough depending on the car of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It would help if you told us what make/model the car is! VW, maybe?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

After years of driving Fords etc I was gobsmacked to pay STG 90 or so for a set of Toyota leads a few years ago. When I saw how well they were engineered, and now I know how well they work, I have changed my mind. I used to be plagued with starting problems on other cars despite changing the plugs and leads regularly. If they are genuine parts and are designed to last for 30,000 miles or more you shouldnt be too upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

DamoKen wrote: »
    Ok, just want to know if I'm getting ripped here as the price seems excessive. I'm being charged 128 euro for the leads and plugs to be replaced by a well known dealership in Dublin.
    esel wrote: »
    It would help if you told us what make/model the car is! VW, maybe?

Sounds too cheap to be a main dealer price for VW plugs, leads and labour. I'd say VW leads alone would be €128. Unless they have come down in price since my VW days. Remember also that labour rates in a Dublin main dealer are €80 per hour at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Buy them in a motor factors and fit them yourself? Should be straightforward enough depending on the car of course!

can't as they've already done the work. same as last time, told them to call me and let me know the problem plus any additional costs before doing it, had to call earlier as I hadn't heard from them since dropping the car in Thursday morning and find out they've already done it!

@esel: sorry meant to include earlier that it's a Ford Focus 1.6, deadline in work today so a bit distracted, just leaving now :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement