Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learner Permit or Provisional Licence

Options
  • 23-11-2007 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Which can I apply for now? Does the new law being put back until june cover the issuing? If I do have to get a permit, will the same attitude be taken as with provisional holders with regard to driving unaccompanied up to June?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Learner Permit.
    Looks like same application form but Learner Permit instead of Provisional Licence - Form D201
    Lasts for 2 years.

Lot of same nonsense - only look for evidence of doing a test for third permit (extra 2 years) or evidence of future test (extra 1 year).

Why is this not applied to 2nd permit?
    5-6 years to pass?????????? That should be exceptional not encouraged.

You are considered a First Permit holder (for a category) if you havent had a Provisional in the last 5 years.

Actually I was in the motor tax office a few days ago, thinking I'd be queueing for ages (as in previous cases) but joy, didnt have to wait a minute.

All the mad licence panic seems to have passed. Back to normal. Aside Happy retirement to the chap normally on the door there in Smithfield, retiring after 39years, always cheery, chatty and helpful if he could when you were in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Feachan

At this point every learner is getting a permit. Provisional Licences stopped being issued on Friday 26 October.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronen

Why should be a learner accompanied and supervised by a person with full driving licence? It's just something formal restriction? or should that person take all the responsibility, if anything happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Sindub

if it was ur first or third provisional you coudn't drive unaccompanied anyway.

Anyone who applies now will get a learners perit so if your first provisional has just expired you will not be able to drive unaccompanied as you will get the learners permit ? Is that correct ???

I assume only people who can drive unaccompanied is those who currently hold a 2nd provisional licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ronen wrote: »
    Why should be a learner accompanied and supervised by a person with full driving licence? It's just something formal restriction? or should that person take all the responsibility, if anything happens?

The other person is supposed to be instructing you and supervising you so you don't get yourself into situations. So you don't end up like the twat I saw weaving in and out of lanes the other day before slowing down before a red light, gawking at it in confusion, then driving through it for example.
    Sindub wrote:
    Anyone who applies now will get a learners perit so if your first provisional has just expired you will not be able to drive unaccompanied as you will get the learners permit ? Is that correct ???

I assume only people who can drive unaccompanied is those who currently hold a 2nd provisional licence.

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronen

I asked it for I'd be the supervisor with a full driving licence. But I'm not familiar with the laws in Ireland. But before I jump into the deep water, I'd like to know what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah ok. I don't think you're legally responsible for anything your pupil does. If they're a named driver on your insurance, then any claims are against you however. And of course you can be injured if they have a crash so make sure they've picked up the basics in a dual control car first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So is it the old D201 provisional licence application form (June 2005 version) still used to apply for a learners permit?

Advertisement