Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to version control a VS2005 Project

Options
  • 23-11-2007 6:22pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

I've already got most of my research code in a subversion repository. Some work I'm doing will involve a visual studio 2005 project for use with the Intel fortran compiler. I'm just wondering should I be versioning just the source files or should I also version the .vsproj file too? I use the repository on two computers just for the record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Use visual source safe, it integrates with visual studio very well, and yes, definately check in the .vsproj too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Put everything into the repository, even if it means that you have the same stuff installed in the same place on each machine.

If you have SVN and it works for you....don't change. There's add-ins for Visual Studio to give you the nice integration, but to be honest I haven't used them. I use tortoiseSVN for pretty-much all my SVN needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

You version everything. If your using subversion then don't bother to change to Visual Source Safe. I have been a VSS user for years and years, never had a problem. A while ago based on some good feedback about subversion we started to move some of our projects to it and I have to say I love it. We will be moving all our source code to subversion over the course of next year. You can get plugin's for VS.Net as well, Ankh I think it's called, seems to work fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Great stuff - thanks a lot!

Advertisement