Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In this months National Geographic...

• 23-11-2007 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

There is a decent enough article on Hunters in America. Doesn`t offer solutions on remedying falling numbers of hunters or what to do about poachers but it does give kudos to those who hunt and are involved in conservation (main topic of the article). Nice read and of course pictures, lots of numbers and figures.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Thanks Doc,
    Good read.
    Anglers and hunters are the real backbone of conservation and habitat preservation.
    National Geographic reaches many people beyond the sporting community, hopefully some of them will read it.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/2007-11/hunters/poole-text.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Agreed!:D

Great magazine with a huge global fanbase,great article!can only but promote the sport of hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I haven`t read that Mag in a while, used to have a subscription for it while I was growning up. Always made for interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Osage

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and thought this would make a good spot to say Hi.
    The Deer population in the central and western U.S. is at the point of being a problem.The Liberal West Coast municipalities implant birth control and the Central and mountain state cities and towns just shoot them to keep them off the regional airports etc. That being said it has been damn good for our freezer! My wife shot her first Whitetail buck last night.Just a little 4 point but she is happy. Our extended familly usually takes 8 to 12 Whitetails a year. I prefer big does for the freezer. We also have a growing wild "ferrel" hog population with no hunting restrictions except you have to have a deer tag with you if hunting hogs during deer season.

The decline of hunting I believe is due to Tv and video gaming. Our Children are not allowed to play games or watch TV during daylight hours unless the weather conditions are miserable. They all shoot and enjoy it and are eager to start hunting. I will start them on rabbits and squirrels this winter.

The wild Turkey has also made a great comeback and I see them everywhere from Texas to Montana. The coyotes are everywhere and it is not uncommon to see people in rural areas shooting them along the road and hanging the carcass on the fence post. Puma's/Mt. Lion/Cougar are also getting to be a hassle to livestock and Oklahoma recently told us if they are a danger to livestock we can shoot them also.

I am happy to see you guys are Hunters and Shooters. I did not realize you could even own firearms. I lived for two years in Germany while in the U.S. Army and I knew Germans could but with many restrictions. If I can help anyone find a piece of kit they need from over here don't be shy about asking and I will do my best to get it to you as long as it isn't something restricted from export.

Good Hunting and Merry Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Welcom Osage! Nice to hear about the goings on on your side of the atlantic! Maybe we should have a boards outing to Oklahoma to help them out with their deer population!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Welcome Osage

Advertisement