Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polish man forgot he wasn't in Poland

Options
  • 23-11-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

"A 29-year-old Polish national who was in Ireland attending Rally Ireland caused an accident when he forgot where he was and drove his car on the wrong side of the road."

"The defendant was interviewed at Omagh Police Station about the incident and he told police he got confused and forgot he wasn't in Poland."

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/fh/free/312836441157372.php

Luckily this stupid cnut didn't kill anybody. There are too many left hand drive cars on our road at the moment. Last month the missus told me about a near miss, when another stupid cnut turned onto the main road and proceeded to drive straight towards her, before he copped on and swerved onto the correct side of the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Would you like to just send all the foreigners home, or do you have other plans for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Must give that 1 a try next time I'm caugh speeding:

Gardai: You were doing 150mph :mad:

Me: Oh.. you mean this isn't the autobahn in germany? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Anan1 wrote: »
    Would you like to just send all the foreigners home, or do you have other plans for them?

WTF are you talking about, I'm married to a foreigner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

DonJose wrote: »
    "A 29-year-old Polish national who was in Ireland attending Rally Ireland caused an accident when he forgot where he was and drove his car on the wrong side of the road."

"The defendant was interviewed at Omagh Police Station about the incident and he told police he got confused and forgot he wasn't in Poland."

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/fh/free/312836441157372.php

Luckily this stupid cnut didn't kill anybody. There are too many left hand drive cars on our road at the moment. Last month the missus told me about a near miss, when another stupid cnut turned onto the main road and proceeded to drive straight towards her, before he copped on and swerved onto the correct side of the road.

Stop whining about the left hand drive and there are too many foreigners bla bla.
    I would like to remind you that driving on the left is less dangerous when you have the steering wheel on the left as well.
    And also check the statistics about accidents in this country, they are not really caused by foreigners/left hand drive drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

And no Irish person or anybody driven on the left hand side of a road while in a country that is right hand drive has done it (can easily be done (have not done it myself but know a few people have)

• Advertisement

mick.fr wrote: »
    Stop whining about the left hand drive and there are too many foreigners bla bla.

Again read my above post :rolleyes:
    I would like to remind you that driving on the left is less dangerous when you have the steering wheel on the left as well.

LOL post of the day. Care to explain how its safer. What about overtaking???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This can only warrant a 12 stretch in a forced labour camp.

Well yeah but this is not only about having the wheel on the right or left, this is also about switching your brain over the good side.

When I went to Germany a couple of weeks ago with my LHD car, I touched down in Netherlands and was watching a guy in the port who took the roundabout in front of me from the right, for a sec I told myself "WTF is he doing???", then I realized I was in the real world :-) and not in a ex British colony anymore, and my brain immediately switched over.

Again read my above post :rolleyes:

LOL post of the day. Care to explain how its safer. What about overtaking???

If I can read you are a racist, generalize everything and put all the foreigners in all the same basket. I would like to remind you that Ireland has been built by foreigners.

What are you even talking about things you do not even know or do not even do yourself?
    Do you seriously think overtaking is more dangerous. This is just a urban legend from insurance companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would imagaine that it is VERY easy to forget something like this. Especially if there are no other cars around to remind youl. It's just a matter of concentrating, but some people have trouble with that.

• Advertisement

Do you seriously think overtaking is more dangerous. This is just a urban legend from insurance companies.

Get into a LHD car, go to the N6 and try overtake a bus or a van, you'd have to position the car halfway across the line before you could see oncoming traffic. With a RHD car you can see oncoming traffic without crossing over.

Get into a LHD car, go to the N6 and try overtake a bus or a van, you'd have to position the car halfway across the line before you could see oncoming traffic. With a RHD car you can see oncoming traffic without crossing.

I have 2 LHD cars, both registered in Ireland, all taxed, I know what this is thanks. And this is not really an issue overtaking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anan1 wrote: »

LMFAO:D

I don't know why you'd bring this up, donjose.

Yup, we are perfectly safe driving in Europe then with our big campers?

A polish workmate of mine did the whole turn right, stay right thing and did cause a minor tip. He happens to be a very good driver but we're all susceptible to human error.

It'll happen. I bet it's not the only accident that's happened Ever. I bet this wasn't the only post-rally acident either, maybe they're related, and maybe they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

from the article:
    while the defendant had an address in Galway he was actually only over here on holidays to watch Rally Ireland.

Bloody tourists!

No good for nothing, not even a good old racist rant ...who do they think they are, come here and spend their money ...bastards !

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

DonJose never said anything about foreigners he is talking about left hand drive cars. :D:D:D

2347 wrote: »
    DonJose never said anything about foreigners he is talking about left hand drive cars. :D:D:D

Read between the lines :-)

Read between the lines :-)

Again just for you, I married to a foreigner and luckily she drives a RHD, if she was driving a LHD I'd get her deported ;) If this was a political rant I'd take it there, read the news article, its about that and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

2347 wrote: »
    Agreed, if LHD cars are stupid cnuts and drive themselves. :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Again just for you, I married to a foreigner and luckily she drives a RHD, if she was driving a LHD I'd get her deported ;)

ahh...rubbish :rolleyes:

I've owned and driven both LHD and RHD vehicles on these roads, both have their particular advantages and disadvantages ...but by no means is one more dangerous than the other.

If you drive accordingly, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Some of these eastern europeans are dangerous. My father was involved in a head on collision few months back, 2 lithuanians driving on the wrong side of road. Luckily no one was severly hurt but they got away very lightly aswell. No insurance, no licence, no tax, driving a car just bought 1 hour before accident.

The driver got a slap on the wrist and banned for driving for a year. I'm sure if i did something this stupid I would have the book thrown at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I was forced onto the footpath a few weeks ago by a polish driver takign a corner too tight. Now need a new bumper and front skirt. FUN

And so what is the all funcking point of this thread?

To say that the Polish are the most dangerous species driving in Ireland, or maybe Latvians, or Romanians, or French???
    Some are even saying Eastern Europeans are dangerous on the roads.

The author of the thread is saying he would have deported his wife if she wanted to drive a LHD.
    Seriously what kind of sick individual would say that ?

Ignorance and stupidity is what is causing so much pain to the humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's a simple enough mistake to make if you are only here for the weekend of the rally. If it wasn't a common mistake among tourists there wouldnt be signposts near airports/ports etc. reminding tourists to drive on the right.

"they took our jobs" :rolleyes:

The author of the thread is saying he would have deported his wife if she wanted to drive a LHD.
    OMG you are so full of it, that was a fukking joke you... guess the smilie just flew over your head. Before you take this any further, I've no problem with foreigners in this country as long as they are here legally and abide by our laws, if they decide to drive like lunatics on the wrong side of the road because they forget where they are, now thats another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    I was forced onto the footpath a few weeks ago by a polish driver takign a corner too tight. Now need a new bumper and front skirt. FUN

What does the fact that he is Polish have to do with anything?
    I've no problem with foreigners in this country as long as they are here legally and abide by our laws, if they decide to drive like lunatics on the wrong side of the road because they forget where they are, now thats another thing.

I've come across a f*ckload of stupid drivers doing stupid things on our roads, none of which I remember being foreign cars. Can anyone here provide hard evidence that foreign drivers cause more of their fair share of problems on the road? There's a load of reasons to moan about bad drivers on these forums, the fact that you need to single out foreign drivers kind of stinks, to be honest.

cornbb wrote: »
    I've come across a f*ckload of stupid drivers doing stupid things on our roads, none of which I remember being foreign cars. Can anyone here provide hard evidence that foreign drivers cause more of their fair share of problems on the road? There's a load of reasons to moan about bad drivers on these forums, the fact that you need to single out foreign drivers kind of stinks, to be honest.

I hate it when idiots pull out the race card, I voice my opinions about a lot of things, about lenient judges, check out my recent rant about an Irish scumbag who killed two Polish motorcyclists, keep your race card in your back pocket

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055179150

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stupid Irish drivers like to drive on the right too, its not just the polish :D Every morning i drive the back roads from leixlip to Blanch. On the narrow roads, instead of staying to the left i see so many drivers move over to the right hand side of the road, especially on corners... by that i mean almost every driver. It means when a car comes the other way, not only do they slam on the brakes, they swerve back to the left.
    Me, assuming they do not come to a halt am already to the left so i can keep going without even slowing down.
    Stupid Irish drivers :D

Saruman wrote: »
    Stupid Irish drivers like to drive on the right too, its not just the polish :D Every morning i drive the back roads from leixlip to Blanch. On the narrow roads, instead of staying to the left i see so many drivers move over to the right hand side of the road, especially on corners... by that i mean almost every driver. It means when a car comes the other way, not only do they slam on the brakes, they swerve back to the left.
    Me, assuming they do not come to a halt am already to the left so i can keep going without even slowing down.
    Stupid Irish drivers :D

Racist. Don't get me started about provisional license drivers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Now now, you can't be calling people the "R" word. Even if it is in jest, i assume it is anyway.

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Now now, you can't be calling people the "R" word. Even if it is in jest, i assume it is anyway.

:) R word retracted

Advertisement