Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is canned tuna mercury risk?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Faith wrote: »
    Mercury is cumulative, so it's constantly building up in your body. It's when it reaches a critical level that you'll know about it, and then you have to act straight away to get it sorted. It can take years before you see any symptoms. It's not like the flu, you don't just get it. Telling yourself "I eat x amount a day and I'm fine" is no use in this case.
    Very true. Hat makers used to be prone to mercury poisoning, it's where you get the expression "As mad as a Hatter" from. I think they used to use the mercury from rounding off the edges of hats.

I also remember our science teacher in secondary school telling us that science teachers have a life expectancy of 10 years less than other teachers due to coming into contact with mercury. Although I think that could've had more to do with the area I was from and the stress involved with supervising a load of lunatics using bunsen burners! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

If there was anything wrong with the tuna sold in Ireland, there would be plenty of advance notice from the Marine Institute, the FSAI and any college with Marine Science going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Faith wrote: »
    Mercury is cumulative, so it's constantly building up in your body. It's when it reaches a critical level that you'll know about it, and then you have to act straight away to get it sorted. It can take years before you see any symptoms. It's not like the flu, you don't just get it. Telling yourself "I eat x amount a day and I'm fine" is no use in this case.

Interesting, just where is it stored?

My guess would be in the fatcells, so could cutting or just loosing weight fast lead to a mercury spike in the bloodstream?

Personally think mercury risk in tuna is massively overblown but am curious if anyone can cite facts on the matter?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Longfield wrote: »
    Interesting, just where is it stored?

My guess would be in the fatcells, so could cutting or just loosing weight fast lead to a mercury spike in the bloodstream?
    Don't forget heavy metals are stored in fat cells more then other cells so going on a decent cut once and awhile can help clear out your system of metals and other things.

:D

If you lose a lot of fat very fast, getting a bad outbreak of spots or upset skin is a common side effect as your body is flushing all those stored toxins out of your system. You'll also tend to feel a little sluggish and crappy, although this is more anedoctally reported than scientifically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

g'em wrote: »
    If you lose a lot of fat very fast, getting a bad outbreak of spots or upset skin is a common side effect as your body is flushing all those stored toxins out of your system. You'll also tend to feel a little sluggish and crappy, although this is more anedoctally reported than scientifically.

Yup, it's well known that teenage boys are full of nasty toxins that need flushing. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement