Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

but buying it supports drug dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but if it was legalised you wouldn't have to buy it off a drug dealer.....

I'm all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

hmmm, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming this thread is going to go round in circles with endless points being made and ignored (in particular the old favourite "But alchohol and tobacco are legal" whine) . Then loads of links of reports for and against the idea until finally people just get bored and move on to a thread about masturbation.

But maybe, just maybe, this'll be the thread to prove me wrong and break the mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

but buying it supports drug dealers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but if it was legalised you wouldn't have to buy it off a drug dealer.....

I'm all for it

But someone who sells drug is, by definition a drug dealer[/pedantic] :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

humanji wrote: »
    hmmm, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming this thread is going to go round in circles with endless points being made and ignored (in particular the old favourite "But alchohol and tobacco are legal" whine) . Then loads of links of reports for and against the idea until finally people just get bored and move on to a thread about masturbation.

But maybe, just maybe, this'll be the thread to prove me wrong and break the mould.

Isnt that the whole point of After hours, maybee someone might learn somthin from one of the links and a good debate never hurt anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yes, it's win/win for everybody involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If only!

Then I wouldn't be stuck at home without any tonight :(

less money for dealers, more money for government, happy people everywhere, who sees a bad side to this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Catchy-Monkey

Maybe they could run it on a trail basis, few coffee shops to start. Although they tried it in London and apprently it failed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

No, unless everything else is.

I dont believe its harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

After all, thousands of people smoke the stuff, it dosnt really do any harm and it has massive advantages for the elderly and people in pain.
    the tabacco in a spliff does you more harm than a bit of whacky backy.
    Wahts your opinion??

smoking it while your brain is still maturing is suspected to alter your brains development, your brain reaches maturity @ in your early twenties.

After a point where we know with absolute certainy that such drugs wont affect your development then i dont give a crap what people choose to put into their bodies in the adulthood and i dont mean 18, more like 21 at least

there is a huge regret over legalising tobacco and alcohol, the legalisation of any other gateway drug will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Good God no, the country would fall to rack and ruin within a fortnight with young scallywags robbing grannys to go and buy a bud, aged crusty stoners running naked through the streets, A&E units filled to overflow with people waiting on rubber rooms for their newfound mental disorders, pizza restaurants unable to find staff to deal with a 500% rise in order volume and a nationwide shortage of cigarette papers.

Much better to just keep it the way it is now; I'm actually getting to like smoking fibreglass, bitumen and old socks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

If they ever brought it to a vote in the country i would certainly vote no. But i never liked the stuff :p Spoil sport numero uno!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭angelsfire

Well I for one think it's a damn good idea. For one thing you don't hear of fights breaking out with a bunch of people stoned on pot. Send pot to Iraq and the war will be over. Love not war go hand in hand with pot. ie the 70's for example. No drug dealers hanging out on the corners selling pot. plus the government could tax it and more money for all the countries. As someone said earlier, is good for you if you have cancer or stomache problems. Lot's of good reasons to smoke it and not all medical ones. Dammit, it's just fun! :D

People kill and rob people now to get the stuff, don't think there would be much difference if it were legal or not on that front!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Catchy-Monkey

No substance is harmless, you can take it or not, I'm pro-cho
    ice.

Wertz wrote: »
    Good God no, the country would fall to rack and ruin within a fortnight with young scallywags robbing grannys to go and buy a bud, aged crusty stoners running naked through the streets, A&E units filled to overflow with people waiting on rubber rooms for their newfound mental disorders, pizza restaurants unable to find staff to deal with a 500% rise in order volume and a nationwide shortage of cigarette papers.

Much better to just keep it the way it is now; I'm actually getting to like smoking fibreglass, bitumen and old socks...

LOL very funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

You would think from this thread

a- No users are addicted

b- Nobody steals money to buy hash

c- Nobody stoned is ever violent

I cant even be arsed arguing why the above three are a load of cock. What is this, hash thread 5342 by now?

Angelsfire- can you tell me exactly where in Dublin you have seen hash dealers hang out on street corners slangin dem hash rocks like on The Wire? It would be handy to know during the next drought :confused:

Irish drug dealers are lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Not this crap again. Legalise it ffs. I'm tired of this argument. We need a tourism boost and this would push the metro cafe's that were proposed a year ago through.

Well actually I am not in Dublin, I live in Cork now but am from the States!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Where's the poll?

I think the people that are rigidly stuck to the opinion that cannabis shouldn't be legalised just, just because, are in the minority at this stage. When you explain out the benefits of legalisation and get people out of the misconception that cannabis is a killer drug that turns everyone into crazed drug addicts.

This is still what allot of people thing about weed.
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=UFTck49skCk

There's an even better one where a guy gets really worked up (like he's on speed) and makes a girl play the piano faster and faster then he jumps out the window.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=plhNah3PDZE&feature=related

Real facts and research have forced the anti cannabis brigade to backtrack from propaganda like this although they regularly revert back to this stupid over exaggerations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The funny thing is a lot of guards let people smoke it anyway. They'll arrest someone who has a large amount but there'd be no reason for those large amounts if it was legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

People kill and rob people now to get the stuff, don't think there would be much difference if it were legal or not on that front
    I think you're confusing weed with crack.

Here's an interesting chart (complied by The Lancet, not by some quacks) ranking drugs by dependence and harm: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/20drugs.gif Apparently tobacco is more addictive than speed, methadone or barbiturates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

We should totally legalise heroin and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

It worked out ok in Switzerland, junkies who repeatedly failed rehab can get a prescription, so long as they only use in a special injection room of the chemist's. Cut down on the whole violence thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

humanji wrote: »

:D Ye of little faith.
    I'm confident AH will reach a conclusive answer on the cannabis debate this time. :p
    No on second thoughts you're right...it couldn't possibly result in anything but bitter squabbling and ignoring of posts.

TBH it's not harmless though.. links to psychosis etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

tech77 wrote: »
    TBH it's not harmless though.. links to psychosis etc.

Linkage??

TBH I think it would work out well for the country. look at people in the dam and even some parts of canada where its legal, you never hear of them going nuts because of cannibas!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I tried marjuana once

Killed 7 people

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

|Cookies wrote: »
    we've grown up with the laws, so if we change them, it will cause more trouble in the shortterm, while the other countries have had it for ages so their grand now.

But still its not the short term that this needs to be sorted in, everything that the laws have to issue are for the benifit in the long term of this country.

I doubt it would get bad, if they are all stoned they will be mellow, in my opinion I would say that it will then decrease alot of the crime figures here in terms of more tax generated for policing and less dealers on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Linkage??

Here, here and here.

Not necessarily arguing against legalisation, just saying it ain't harmless.

Advertisement