Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

If they legalised Heroin or Cocaine hundreds if not thousands of people would become addicted & lot would become dependent on society. Not to mention violent toward society. That's having an affect on me. So f*ck that.
    Not necessarily. Legalising Heroin and Cocaine wouldn't automatically make loads of people try them and continue to do them regularly. Also, addiction does not mean someone will necessarily become dependent on society - there were dozens of well respected doctors and scientists in Britain in the 50s and 60s who were morphine addicts, many of them for the majority of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

All this talk of cannibas I'd love a smoke right now. mmmmmmm. Pity there is none around.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Legalising Heroin and Cocaine wouldn't automatically make loads of people try them and continue to do them regularly. Also, addiction does not mean someone will necessarily become dependent on society - there were dozens of well respected doctors and scientists in Britain in the 50s and 60s who were morphine addicts, many of them for the majority of their lives.

OK so only doctors or lawyers or the likes would be allowed to use heroine? Are you seriously going to argue the addictiveness of heroine? And if you are proposing the legalising of heroine should the people buying t show a payslip to show they won't be dependant on society to feed their habit? In fairness the legalising brigade here have argued well and i was strating to see many of their points but people who propose legalising heroine really do them a disservice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Personally, I don't see in any way how the cocaine trade could be legitimised (and that's not me picking and choosing to just legalise drugs that I like), but the arguments for prescribing heroin, for free if necessary, to registered addicts is not a new one and is probably workable even in Ireland. Prescribing it wouldn't technically make it legal, in fact if anything you could up the ante toward those who continue dealing in it, with even stiffer jail terms and make possesion without prescription seem unworthy.
    What's the difference in giving them physeptone now or giving them clean heroin? If anything the methadone now is even more addictive and because of the way it's prescribed, doesn't solve many problems associated with heroin usage.
    But all that's way off topic, this thread is discussing cannabis legalisation....free the weed etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Wertz wrote: »
    Personally, I don't see in any way how the cocaine trade could be legitimised (and that's not me picking and choosing to just legalise drugs that I like), but the arguments for prescribing heroin, for free if necessary, to registered addicts is not a new one and is probably workable even in Ireland. Prescribing it wouldn't technically make it legal, in fact if anything you could up the ante toward those who continue dealing in it, with even stiffer jail terms and make possesion without prescription seem unworthy.
    What's the difference in giving them physeptone now or giving them clean heroin? If anything the methadone now is even more addictive and because of the way it's prescribed, doesn't solve many problems associated with heroin usage.
    But all that's way off topic, this thread is discussing cannabis legalisation....free the weed etc etc...

Yes but JC2k said we should legalise heroine not prescribe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Steering this back away from the coke/heroin topic...

Another reason for legalisation that was touched on earlier was contaminated dope. The contents of soapbar and gritweed are highly toxic. The only logical solution is regulated, controlled, taxed sales to adults.

I know I'd prefer that all my mates were certain they were buying clean weed. Wouldn't you?

Without being pedantic, he didn't advocate legalising heroin, he just poked holes in the argument against it. However there are plenty of other reasons why it couldn't and shouldn't happen...in an ideal world it might work but we don't live in an ideal world.
    It can never be done anyhow because of the UN and all that...but decriminalising heroin possesion for registered addicts under strict control would be more along the lines of what is being termed "legalisation" in this thread.
    Even the most stalwart of those in favour of freeing up drug laws would have to draw the line at heroin being available for sale to the general public a lá coffee shop style weed distribution...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tzetze wrote: »
    Steering this back away from the coke/heroin topic...

Another reason for legalisation that was touched on earlier was contaminated dope. The contents of soapbar and gritweed are highly toxic. The only logical solution is regulated, controlled, taxed sales to adults.

I know I'd prefer that all my mates were certain they were buying clean weed. Wouldn't you?
    Or you could just not smoke it.

As for regulation of heroin, fúck the junkies.
    If they were stupid enough to do enough of the crap to become addicted, then they deserve everything they get.

Bollox to this bleeding heart liberal hippy bull****.

Hmm, someone just back from the pub eh?

I kid I kid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Wertz wrote: »
    Without being pedantic, he didn't advocate legalising heroin, he just poked holes in the argument against it.
    I was about to reply to him, but you've pretty much summed up what I was going to say there.

My point is essentially that legalising any commonly-used illegal recreational substance, be it cannabis or heroin, probably isn't going to cause the downfall of our society or cause anything like the problems that are predicted by those against legalisation.

We currently have prohibition and there are serious problems. Free-for-all, unregulated legalisation would remove the problems of prohibition but also bring serious problems of its own. What we need is a balance between the two, and from what I can see, that means legalising all commonly used recreational substances, but placing strict regulations on their sale, the strictness being determined on a drug by drug basis. And the first drug which must be subject to this regulation system, before any others are legalised, is alcohol.

I know talking about drugs in general is a bit off topic, but it is my personal opinion that cannabis is not a special case in terms of its potential to do harm and that the only way for it to be legalised is by a dramatic review of our drug laws in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

JC 2K3 wrote: »

No, not necessarily, but considering the amount of people willing to try coke at parties I think your attitude is very naive.

"Fortunately the amount of heroin I use is harmless, I shoot up once a month on a purely recreational basis, fine, but what if you're less stable than me, less educated, less middle class. Builders or blacks for example, if you're one of those I suggest you stay well away"

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

This thread is gone way off topic. Start a new one for class A chemicals. This is about the legalisation of cannibis.

Terry wrote: »

That's exactly it, don't smoke soapbar or gritweed. Doesn't change the fact that it's still being sold to people unaware of the problem.

Or maybe you meant that people could just not smoke weed at all. You mean that any of your friends/relatives/workmates who unknowingly cause pretty nasty damage to their lungs, deserve it?

That's a non-constructive, flippant, non-answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

Legalise Mary Jane.

I don't like the stuff personally. But I don't see much difference between the weed and the bottle in terms of effects on society. If anything the drink is worse.

Plus I'd rather have a post night out shag with women when they're stoned. They're much better quality encounters than when they're shloshed. Know what I mean? ;)

Lirange wrote: »
    Plus I'd rather have a post night out shag with women when they're stoned. They're much better quality encounters than when they're shloshed. Know what I mean? ;)

Amen to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

If they legalised Heroin or Cocaine hundreds if not thousands of people would become addicted & lot would become dependent on society. Not to mention violent toward society. That's having an affect on me. So f*ck that.

as people have said on this thread, they can't even keep drugs out of the prisons so they've no hope of keeping them out of the country. the vast vast majority of people don't do heroin but that has little to do with it being illegal.

i could walk ten minutes in any direction and find someone willing to sell me heroin but i don't because it would destroy my life. if it was legal, i still wouldn't do it. i'd be of the opinion legalising (and heavily regulating) drugs would have almost no effect on the numbers taking them, the only affects would be:

1. it would be cheaper because there wouldn't be the black market mark up. that would mean people would be less likely to have to commit crime to feed their habit

2. it would be better quality because of regulation and the number of deaths due to impurities would be dramatically reduced. even the deaths caused by OD's because people get a much stronger batch than they're used to would be reduced.

3. the people selling it would make the health implications clear to any purchasers so they could make an informed choice and they'd be prevented from selling to kids, rather than giving them freebies to get them hooked as is currently the situation

4. the gangs would have far less power. yes they'd move to other stuff but nothing has the kind of profit margin that drugs do

5. the government would make money off them instead of losing billions pissing into the wind

6. the prison population would be halved (probably reduced to about 20% tbh) and we could use the space for people who have committed crimes against other people instead of themselves.

the drawbacks:

1. some people get hooked and destroy their lives, exactly as it is now

2. some kids get hooked and destroy their lives, exactly as it is now

i don't actually take any drugs except alcohol but i still support legalising them

as people have said on this thread, they can't even keep drugs out of the prisons so they've no hope of keeping them out of the country. the vast vast majority of people don't do heroin but that has little to do with it being illegal.

i could walk ten minutes in any direction and find someone willing to sell me heroin but i don't because it would destroy my life. if it was legal, i still wouldn't do it. i'd be of the opinion legalising (and heavily regulating) drugs would have almost no effect on the numbers taking them, the only affects would be:

MAybe you can. I certainly can't & I live in Dublin 9. Ever think prison officers aren't too concerned about drugs being in there because of the sh*t they'd go through if the inmates were in withdrawal?

Anyway the fact that you wouldn't means absoloutly nothing. If heroin was legalised & heavily regulated it could still be brought to parties & shared around more easily than it is now. You're assuming everyone has the same level of intelligence as you.

1. it would be cheaper because there wouldn't be the black market mark up. that would mean people would be less likely to have to commit crime to feed their habit

Granted, though I'd suspect it would be funded mainly by social welfare cheques.

2. it would be better quality because of regulation and the number of deaths due to impurities would be dramatically reduced. even the deaths caused by OD's because people get a much stronger batch than they're used to would be reduced.

Usually when you hear about the deaths it's because they've OD'd from using too much, if it was just stronger thay'd all know about it. Like last year when a fair few junkies OD'd around Christmas because you get two welfare payments in one week. To be honest I really don't care about dead junkies, it's more the people getting into dangerous drugs that wouldn't have I'm more concerned about
    3. the people selling it would make the health implications clear to any purchasers so they could make an informed choice and they'd be prevented from selling to kids, rather than giving them freebies to get them hooked as is currently the situation

That doesn't work with alchohol. Also there'd still be dealers making heroin products from their legally bought stuff which would end up being given to kids. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_(recreational_drug)
    Not too mention how much money you could make selling your legal pure heroin to hooked 14 year olds.
    4. the gangs would have far less power. yes they'd move to other stuff but nothing has the kind of profit margin that drugs do

5. the government would make money off them instead of losing billions pissing into the wind

Can't argue with these aside from the fact that strict regulation would mean there'd still be plenty of money in drug dealing. Noticed a lot of Irish people smoking eastern european cigs since all those price hikes?
    6. the prison population would be halved (probably reduced to about 20% tbh) and we could use the space for people who have committed crimes against other people instead of themselves.

Usually people who're in prison for drug related crimes are there for harming others or dealing. I'd imagine violent crime offences/armed robbery would go up with all the coke going around.
    the drawbacks:

1. some people get hooked and destroy their lives, exactly as it is now

2. some kids get hooked and destroy their lives, exactly as it is now

That's a bit rose tinted of you. You could start by replacing *some* with *much more*.

I reckon all the septum reconstructions (which are currently covered by the public health system) organ transplants & psychiatric care would be a bit of a bitch too.

People are saying this is off topic but it is related & the thread is now 17 pages long.

Yes to freeing the weed.

MAybe you can. I certainly can't & I live in Dublin 9. Ever think prison officers aren't too concerned about drugs being in there because of the sh*t they'd go through if the inmates were in withdrawal?
    Still though, the point stands. There's no way they can keep drugs out of the country unless they buy enough boats to keep every inch of our shoreline under constant surveillance

Anyway the fact that you wouldn't means absoloutly nothing. If heroin was legalised & heavily regulated it could still be brought to parties & shared around more easily than it is now. You're assuming everyone has the same level of intelligence as you.
    its already being brought around to parties and spread around, although not the parties i go to. If it was legalised tomorrow no one i know would start bringing it to parties because they don't do it. I'm not assuming everyone is as intelligent as me, i know a lot of idiots will get hooked but anyone dumb enough to try heroin already has extremely easy access to it. legalising It would just mean i'd have to walk 5 minutes to find it instead of 10
    Granted, though I'd suspect it would be funded mainly by social welfare cheques.
    This is probably true as this is currently the situation

Usually when you hear about the deaths it's because they've OD'd from using too much, if it was just stronger thay'd all know about it. Like last year when a fair few junkies OD'd around Christmas because you get two welfare payments in one week. To be honest I really don't care about dead junkies, it's more the people getting into dangerous drugs that wouldn't have I'm more concerned about
    i'm concerned about that too but all these drugs have been illegal my whole life and i've never seen any evidence that that has deterred anyone from doing them. Maybe we should legalise it just for the sake of trying something new since the current system clearly doesn't work
    That doesn't work with alchohol. Also there'd still be dealers making heroin products from their legally bought stuff which would end up being given to kids. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_(recreational_drug)
    Not too mention how much money you could make selling your legal pure heroin to hooked 14 year olds.
    yes people buy alcohol for kids, this is true. When i was under 18 i could get alcohol although it was a bit of hassle. Of course, if some dodgy looking scumbag offered me some alcohol he'd 'just bought' i'd have said 'no thanks, i'll get the stuff out of the shop or get someone i trust to get it for me thank you very much'. Legalisation gave me that option

you say that the age controls on alcohol don't work and you're right. But that doesn't mean we should just get rid of the law. It does work sometimes and its better than having absolutely no control over who its sold to as is currently the situation

yes dealers might still sell to kids as they currently do but the money to be made from selling to those 12 to 18 year olds who couldn't find a brother to get it for them is a lot less than that which is currently being made

Usually people who're in prison for drug related crimes are there for harming others or dealing. I'd imagine violent crime offences/armed robbery would go up with all the coke going around.
    again, i don't see any reason why there would be more going around since its already so easy to get and only those who have only been convicted of possession would be let out. People with other convictions would stay inside

your argument is based on the idea that legalising drugs would increase the number of people using them but since anyone who wants to do them currently can, what makes you think more people would do it other than the fact that it might be very very slightly easier to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't know anyone getting €700+ a week from the social welfare.
    Not anyone who would be addicted to heroin anyway.

I don't know anyone getting €700+ a week from the social welfare.
    Not anyone who would be addicted to heroin anyway.

tbh, i never did a survey of heroin addicts to find out where they get their money. probably begging mostly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well gentlemen, I'm sorry that you went to all the trouble it took to respond point by point to that marathon quoting session, because I have no intention of carrying it on, having better things to do with my time.

I was tempted to let the last few of the usual suspects stick their oars in, but nah. The deluge of chuckleheads and durr hurrs have polluted this fine establishment enough for one day.

I'll just say this. For all the braying about being treated like adults, why don't you start acting like adults, stop sucking on your paper pricks, put them down, and stop putting money directly, willingly and gleefully in the hands of criminal organisations.

Oho, and JJ6000, if you really are a barrister, I hope to christ I never have to depend on you for legal advice, after your ast foaming-at-the-mouth piece.

Well that was a sterling way to avoid a debate! :D Fair play

tbh, i never did a survey of heroin addicts to find out where they get their money. probably begging mostly

Some of them may make enough begging, but you have to say that a lot will turn to petty crime like shoplifting, car breaking or something more serious like burglary. Also how many times have we heard of shops being robbed with syringes? (that's not to say that these robbers are necessarily all smackheads but if the cap fits...)
    The cut in that crime would be a large upside to any legal change; no-one can say that this wouldn't be a positive, regardl;ess of what other negatives may be created in it's wake...

Just to stay off topic with a thought on this; why even bother charging money for heroin in the case of those already on the dole? Just give it to them in lieu of money since that's what that'd be spent on anyway. Still more or less unworkable but hypothetically speaking...

Still though, the point stands. There's no way they can keep drugs out of the country unless they buy enough boats to keep every inch of our shoreline under constant surveillance

Of course not, but it's still better than it being freely available. I can see the point of people who want to keep cannabis illegal because they're right, more people would do it. I just don't have a problem with this.
    its already being brought around to parties and spread around, although not the parties i go to. If it was legalised tomorrow no one i know would start bringing it to parties because they don't do it. I'm not assuming everyone is as intelligent as me, i know a lot of idiots will get hooked but anyone dumb enough to try heroin already has extremely easy access to it. legalising It would just mean i'd have to walk 5 minutes to find it instead of 10

People are more likely to try something if it's legal, cigarettes are horrible until you're addicted but people do get addicted. It's not easy access either. If I was to buy heroin now there's no way I'd contact someone I get weed off. I'd have to walk down to Thomas street & start asking homeless people if they're willing to set me up with someone. That is not easy!

If it was legalised it would be more likely to be at parties. Maybe younger parties. Parties where it's not the fun that matters but how "mad" you are compared to others. When people are drunk they try new stuff. One of Heroin's pluses is it takes you down from Mdma based pills that keep you awake. Also if it was legalised heroin would probably be cheaper than cocaine.
    i'm concerned about that too but all these drugs have been illegal my whole life and i've never seen any evidence that that has deterred anyone from doing them. Maybe we should legalise it just for the sake of trying something new since the current system clearly doesn't work

What could this evidence be given Heroin hasn't been legal in your lifetime?
    yes people buy alcohol for kids, this is true. When i was under 18 i could get alcohol although it was a bit of hassle. Of course, if some dodgy looking scumbag offered me some alcohol he'd 'just bought' i'd have said 'no thanks, i'll get the stuff out of the shop or get someone i trust to get it for me thank you very much'. Legalisation gave me that option

I'm not calling for prohibtion of everything! The only drugs I'd make illegal that I can think of right now would be Opiates/Cocaine/Crack/Crystal Meth
    The difference here is that alchohol is nowhere near as dangerous as the above drugs.
    you say that the age controls on alcohol don't work and you're right. But that doesn't mean we should just get rid of the law. It does work sometimes and its better than having absolutely no control over who its sold to as is currently the situation

That's a blatant straw man. I do not wish for Ireland to get rid of an age restrction on alcohol.
    yes dealers might still sell to kids as they currently do but the money to be made from selling to those 12 to 18 year olds who couldn't find a brother to get it for them is a lot less than that which is currently being made

I don't think many people will buy heroin (though maybe cocaine) for a younger sibling. Anyway I care more about the kids taking heroin than stoping dealers making money.
    again, i don't see any reason why there would be more going around since its already so easy to get and only those who have only been convicted of possession would be let out. People with other convictions would stay inside

Of course there would. When it's illegal people have to be discrete & therefore take less. When I smoke spliffs on a night out we stand away from the bouncers & sometimes the crowd. If it was legal we'd be doing it all night & would have no reservations in passing it to anyone who wanted some.
    your argument is based on the idea that legalising drugs would increase the number of people using them but since anyone who wants to do them currently can, what makes you think more people would do it other than the fact that it might be very very slightly easier to get?

Yes, it is. You're just wrong about it being very very slightly easier to get. The fact that you have to ring someone, perhaps some dodgey guy you don't know very well, pay a fortune for something that's possibly contaminated puts a lot of people off. When I tried Cocaine I found my nose/head felt painfully horrible the next day. People said it was shi*t coke to blame. I'm not willing to find out. However if they're right, perhaps I would have felt fine after some nice clean coke. Maybe I'd be doing a line now if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Yes, it should be legal, i do not understand why they don't simply drop the whole its illegal thing because so many people smoke it. Alcohol is a much worse drug and alcohol causes FAR more misery, suffering, damage and deaths than cannabis does. So if thats illegal considering how much it must cost the state in dealing with drunk and disorderedly's' and damage to public property, fights ect, everything that comes from drink, it costs the government allot, if people where allowed smoke how much would it cost the government?

I love drink and im happy its legal but i also love smoke and i know drink is worse on the body and on society but there both great fun and shoudl both be legal, nothing beats going into a pub in the dam and taking out skins, roling and smoking.

If it was legal some bars would be smoker friendly,some would not. Thats fair whoever owns the establishment can decide the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Should Cannabis be legalised????

Yes.
    The question for me about Cannabis or any drug is not is it safe or not, but a question of personal freedom.
    Why should it be anybody business what I do with my own body.

Good book on the Subject
    complete text is on the site below

AIN'T NOBODY'S BUSINESS IF YOU DO

The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Country
    Peter McWilliams
    http://www.mcwilliams.com/books/books/aint/toc.htm

The jpg below is the cover of the book
    cover.jpg

It is not possible for cannabis to be Cannabis legalised in Ireland.

All countries that are member of the UN are required to Ban Cannabis, Heroin etc

The UN does not state what the punishment should be.

if the punishment is none it is decriminalised.

Is Cannabis going to be decriminalised in Ireland?

I do not think so too many votes to lose and fear of the unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Belfast wrote: »
    The question for me about Cannabis or any drug is not is it safe or not, but a question of personal freedom.
    Why should it be anybody business what I do with my own body.

The philosophy/humanities forum is thataway^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As for regulation of heroin, fúck the junkies.
    If they were stupid enough to do enough of the crap to become addicted, then they deserve everything they get.

Bollox to this bleeding heart liberal hippy bull****.
    Great stuff from the moderator of the giving up smoking forum. I presume your nicotine junkies are beyond reproach since their drug abuse is legal, and the law is all that matters.

Maybe you should have a sticky in the smoking forum, if you got hooked on cigarettes before the legal age then you are banned, since you are stupid enough to get addicted illegally and deserve everything you get.
    Research published in the medical journal The Lancet rates the most dangerous drugs (starting with the worst) as follows:
    1. Heroin
    2. Cocaine
    3. Barbiturates
    4. Street methadone
    5. Alcohol
    6. Ketamine
    7. Benzodiazepines
    8. Amphetamine
    9. Tobacco
    10. Buprenorphine
    11. Cannabis
    12. Solvents