Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Most people who buy alcohol use it once or twice a week.

How many cannabis buyers leave it in their drawer to only be taken out at the weekend?

there all too stoned to remember lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

How many cannabis buyers leave it in their drawer to only be taken out at the weekend?

every cannabis smoker i've ever known.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    every cannabis smoker i've ever known.....

If you ever manage to post anything even remotely worthwhile Ill die of shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Mutter mutter...HEMP INDUSTRY conspiracy...mutter mutter...it's the saviour plant! Or so I keep being told.

C'mon though, it's not bad, and it makes the world a better place. Didn't know it was legal in the Czech republic though, airplane tickety purchasey nipple pinchy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'd extend the exact same sentiment to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

*Raises hand.

I wouldn't say the amount of cannabis users smoking a joint a night would be any higher, proportionately, than alcohol users having a glass of wine every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't see what the harm would be in legalising it in a controlled manner.

you asked a question and i answered it truthfully. Just because it doesn't fit with your laughable view that ireland will be cannabis free in ten years doesn't mean it's not worthwhile

and right back at you mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

one point that should be mentioned again is the fact that legalising cannabis would make it far safer.

If you vaporise your weed instead of smoking it's way healthier coz there's no smoke and no nasty carcinogens. Also it takes less weed to get you high.

But, good vaporisers cost in the region of €200+ meaning most people aren't going to buy them. However if it was legal, coffee shops would have vaporisers and you'd just attach a disposable container to collect the vapors.Inhale the vapors, and go on your merry way.:cool:

Also, Terry...what's your problem?

Do you honestly think it's ok to waste hundreds of millions trying to chase after people just coz they've chosen to do something YOU don't agree with?

Would it not be better to spend this money on something worthwhile like health, education or infrastucture?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Also, Terry...what's your problem?
    Too many to mention.
    Do you honestly think it's ok to waste hundreds of millions trying to chase after people just coz they've chosen to do something YOU don't agree with?
    Yes.
    Would it not be better to spend this money on something worthwhile like health, education or infrastucture?
    Yes, but you can't have everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Cannabis can cause schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

alcohol causes people to kick lumps out of each other
    this while enjoyable to watch has a detremental effect on or country
    detremental is bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you asked a question and i answered it truthfully. Just because it doesn't fit with your laughable view that ireland will be cannabis free in ten years doesn't mean it's not worthwhile

and right back at you mate

More arse.

I never said Ireland would be cannabis free.

It`s people like you who abuse the rule banning personal abuse.

I asked; would it not be BETTER to spend this money on something worthwhile like health education and infrastructure

and you said
    Terry wrote: »

YES, but you can't have everything.

look, you've actually admitted the money would be BETTER SPENT in these projects than funding prohibition.

Sorry, but both rationality AND the laws of economics demand that money be always spent where it yields the most utility.

You just admitted that money would be better spent (i.e would yield more utility) on health,education and infrastucture than on prohibition so therefore you've basically admitted that we should stop spending money on prohibition.:eek:

he's probably still drunk you can't use logic on him its unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tigger wrote: »
    he's probably still drunk you can't use logic on him its unfair
    Not drunk, but that's not the point.

People do stupid things while on drugs. That's why drugs are illegal. Deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cannabis should certainly be decriminalized as it is in the UK, i.e. a slap on the hand / small on the spof fine with no criminal record if caught with anything under 1/2 an ounce in public.

If they were going to legalise it they should legalize the pure weed only ie home grown plants as hash resin, ie "bars" is only a drug. I don’t know how anyone can smoke that stuff its so full of cra*p, horse tranquilisers, etc and what ever. In Catalunia when I was out there one was allowed grow a plant per person and no more which is a great idea.

no offense ment i was paradoying the "you mustr be stoned to think that brigade"

People do stupid things while on drugs. That's why drugs are illegal. Deal with it.

what about alcohol (i'm sure you've answered this before but i missed it) what is the inherant difference that you see between the use/abuse of alcohol and the abuse /use of narcotics speficially cannabis

i have had a lot of experioance btw and i will agree with a lot of the points against legalisation but i'm interested in yours

No!!!

Drugs are illegal for the same reason condoms(1985), homosexuality(1993) and divorce (1997) were all illegal!

Do you honestly believe there's a rational basis for prohibition?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1555582.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

What stupid things has anyone ever done while smoking a joint?

There is no rational reason for prohibition and, even worse, no effective method of enforcing such prohibition. It has not and will never work in an effective manner thanks to the fact that anyone who has ever tried the stuff knows that all the scare stories are boll0x and will smoke it again if given the opportunity.
    Worse still is the lumping it in with actually dangerous drugs as when people discover that the govt is lying bout cannabis they automatically question why other drugs which are actually harmful are illegal and will be more open to trying them. Result: boomtown for dealers!!

Its time to treat adults like adults so that at least when the govt warns someone of dangers then their word carries at least some weight...

Edit: For balance, it should be pointed out that not everyone who tries it likes it

• Advertisement

More arse.

I never said Ireland would be cannabis free.
    no, you said that it would be almost eradicated in ten years and the only people still smoking it would be a tiny minority who grew it themselves and gave it to friends. your theory depended on many things changing in the next ten years:

1. the moroccan government will win their decades long war on drugs, cutting off what is apparently our only source of cannabis

2. we will not be able to get it from anywhere else because apparently ireland is too far from all of the other countries who produce it. you said nothing about england being too far away however. i pointed out to you that it's cheaper to import sheep from new zealand than to buy them in ireland to show that distance isn't really a factor in the 21st century. you didn't respond to this

3. people will suddenly realise that the cannabis they've been smoking for decades is crap. at this point they will simply give it up and not seek a new source or ask for better quality as all consumers in a capitalist society do. it seems cannabis is exempt from capitalism

4. when people stop buying cannabis because of the suddenly realised poor quality, all the drug dealers will simply give up selling it, rather than making any effort to improve the quality or drop the price or do any of the other things that capitalist businessmen will do for any product in the world, apparently except cannabis

5. by this time teenagers won't be "hooked" on it and will have lost their desire for cannabis, despite the fact that people have been smoking it since the stone age and this desire had nothing to do with any "hookedness" or lack thereof (note that i did not say "in ireland" as you seemed to think last time). basically a 12,000 year old human desire will subside through lack of availability of good stock and the businessmen who makes millions off this desire will do nothing to prevent this

6. the dutch government will ban cannabis. it seems you know more about future dutch policy than the dutch themselves

7. the fortunes of third world countries will all change. they will become wealthy enough that they will all stop growing cannabis even though there's a big market in ireland of people who are crying out for good stock to replace their crap stuff

and all this in ten years. now that's arse if ever i heard it

edit: actually you posted about this in a previous thread a good long while ago so it's closer to 9 years now. those moroccans better get a move on!

It`s people like you who abuse the rule banning personal abuse.
    all i did was respond to the abuse you gave me for truthfully answering a question you asked. do you want to back up that statement in any way or is it just more arse from the second biggest purveyor of arse on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Definately,
    I find no problem with it whatsoever.
    It actually makes you a better person.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Definately,
    I find no problem with it whatsoever.
    It actually makes you a better person.:D
    I wouldn't say it makes you a better person but it doesn't make you a worse person. 20 something percent of Irish have smoked marijuana over 25 (I think its 25, looking for my link atm) and 1/3 of Americans. 1/3 of Americans and 1/4 of Irish aren't pricks, 80% are which shows its not a result of weed but just the fact we are naturally pricks :D.

Reasons to legalise:
    1. Regulation. You take the weed of the streets which is of poor quality and dangerous. In turn you take the profits from the criminals. It will also decrease the amount of underage smokers because drug dealers don't check for I.D. however shops generally do.

2. Taxation. The amount of money that would be made from marijuana would be unbelievable. Put a 200% mark-up on weed and not only will it still be cheaper then street price but also better quality while making the goverment huge amounts of money which we could use in this recession.

3. Medical uses. I'm not going to go into this because its an undeniable fact it is benificial to gluacoma, cancer, aids etc. patients. If you have any doubts read the link I provided a couple of pages back.

4. Fuel and clothing, paper, rope, plastic etc. Using Hemp for fuels, plastics and clothing will save tons of money on importation and also make money on exportation. Henry Fordes original Model-T had hemp plastic door panels because of thier weight-strenght ratio being comparable to steel. Hemp is the worlds number 1 most sustainable form of energy, prove me wrong and win $100,000.

5. Hemp seed for protein. The reason ungerminated hemp seeds are legal in Ireland is because of their unbelievable high protein content. They are generally considered the best natural source of protein, mass goverment controlled growing will allow for production of seeds which can then be provided to 3rd world countries which could do with some protein (the hemp rope, clothing, plastic etc. could also be provided at minimal cost).

6. Money saved on imprisonment. We are all aware of the huge costs that go into keeping somebody locked up and while that isn't neccessarily a huge problem in Ireland with its relatively relaxed possession laws it is still costing millions. Putting marijuana users in prison (where marijuana is more widely available along with other harder drugs) is not just crushing that inmates future but is putting pressure on our failing economy.

7. Theoretically marijuana could be used to decrease the amount of tobacco smokers by providing a safer alternative however this is only theoretical and, as far as I'm aware, there have been no conclusive evidence it can 'override' the tobacco addiction.

8. Its addiction potential is far less then caffiene making it a safe recreational drug. (attacthment shown)

Those who are claiming marijuana is bad for the brain, lungs and body in general needed to be quiet. The most recent studies have proven nothing of the sort. Its lethal overdose ratio is between 1:20,000-1:40,000, its been proven to INCREASE brain cell growth and, in the words of Dr. Donald Tashkin of UCLA:
    'physiologic, clinical or epidemiologic evidence that marijuana smoking may lead to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or respiratory cancer is limited and inconsistent.'

People tend to think that legalisation is just a way to keep stoners out of prison but fail to look at the big picture. Legal or not stoners are going to smoke it, its what they do but look at the economic and medical benefits it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Should it be legal.

hmm, im 60/40 on the no side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Cannabis should certainly be decriminalized as it is in the UK, i.e. a slap on the hand / small on the spof fine with no criminal record if caught with anything under 1/2 an ounce in public.

If they were going to legalise it they should legalize the pure weed only ie home grown plants as hash resin, ie "bars" is only a drug. I don’t know how anyone can smoke that stuff its so full of cra*p, horse tranquilisers, etc and what ever. In Catalunia when I was out there one was allowed grow a plant per person and no more which is a great idea.

hmmm i know hash resin can be full of crap but why would a drug dealer put horse tranquilisers into it??? the reason why other crap is added to the resin is because that other crap is cheap and bulks up the resin so less hash can be sold for more so why would a drug dealer seek out some hard to find (and equally illegal to possess) and expensive horse tranquilisers to bulk up his blocks of hash? its like the similar bull (or horse) sh!t story that drugs dealers put heroin into ecstacy tablets so watch out!!! why the hell would they put a more expensive drug into the pills and try and pass it off as xtc pills?? surely they would spread the word that these were super pills that also contained heroin! wup de doo! and they'd certainly charge extra for that!

also my opinion on this debate is that making it legal would probably be a good idea if it was a global thing but something that people don't seem to realise is that if ireland made cannibas legal and opened up coffee shops it would bring forth some rather unsavoury tourists. i've been to amsterdam in my smoking days and its a magnet for all sorts of dodgy people from all over the globe. fact is you would get people coming to ireland for the coffee shops who also dabble in other drugs. this would mean more customers for drug dealers who are dealing the illegal stuff. cue an influx of all sorts of shady characters ready to earn their buck from the new open minded tourists. although i do agree that cannibas is way less damaging to society than alcohol and cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

is it true there banning smoking in amsterdam?someone said it to me a few weeks ago..
    i agree with the fact that it could bring some unwelcome guests to ireland,but if it was legalised worldwide i have no problem with it..personally im not into that kind of thing but ive been around some of my friends while they do it..it doesn't seem to do them any harm anyway..

yes they are bringing in a ban on smoking in public place similar to the ban we have here. its gonna make for a confusing situation because although coffee shops will still be legal, you won't be allowed to smoke in them which makes them kinda redundant. they'll just become a kind of cannabis newsagent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

that will put a bit of a dampener on the tourist trade in amsterdam!!

• Advertisement

yes maybe ireland should wait until holland put their public smoking ban into place, then legalise cannabis and renege on our own public smoking ban. then coffee shops will open all over the place and there will be huge sales on taxable cannabis and huge new sector to the tourist industry! goodbye recession!!

Advertisement