Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Also synthetic cannabinoids and FAAH inhibitors will mean you can just pop a pill and get baked (By far the healthiest option)!
    Not many people are going to do that though.

By assuming that everyone will take drugs orally in the future is overlooking the fact that something like smoking is a pleasurable thing, and practices like passing a joint around are a social and cultural things, which people aren't going to stop doing because it's healthier to pop a synthetic cannabinoid pill.

Seachmall wrote: »
    When compared to inhaling carcinogens when smoking.

If we just produced artifical THC why bother legalising cannabis (apart from the other economic/production reasons)? As far as I'm aware the artifical THC is nowhere as strong as the natural one, I could be wrong though. I you have a link I'd be interested in reading it :)
    It's the same chemical ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Well, I think we can all agree that no, cannabis should not be legalised. Let's take a 3 month break before debating it all over again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I thought that said should cannibals be legalised i need my eyes tested. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Kernel wrote: »
    Well, I think we can all agree that no, cannabis should not be legalised. Let's take a 3 month break before debating it all over again. :)
    No, no, we can't all agree on that.

I would, however, agree that there's no need for the debate to continue on here as all it leads to are the usual 'MARIJUANA IS BAD, MMKAY?' posters ignoring anything intelligent posted by the pro-legalisation side...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Sleepy wrote: »
    No, no, we can't all agree on that.

I would, however, agree that there's no need for the debate to continue on here as all it leads to are the usual 'MARIJUANA IS BAD, MMKAY?' posters ignoring anything intelligent posted by the pro-legalisation side...

So what's next, skangers? Abortion? Have you ever met a celebrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Kernel wrote: »
    So what's next, skangers? Abortion? Have you ever met a celebrity?

+1 for abortion:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I'm not sure of the specifics but i know that in cannabis THC doesn't do all the work, It's only a partial agonist or something.

THC alone is said to be very dissappointing.

here's some trip reports of other cannabinoids i found on another forum;

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=355579&highlight=Cp+55%2C940

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=363628&highlight=cp55940

Also, there's rumors going around that certain "legal" smoking blends contain oleamide or URB579. ("smoke","skunk","cinnamon blend",zohai sx")

Got a pre-rolled joint of what was supposedly "zohai sx", smoked the whole thing (it was quite big) and got baked. Got mild oev's and all .Throat was all irritated though... I think i'll stay away from it for awhile. I'd rather not be a human guinea pig.

If weed was legal, there'd be reseach into finding the best cannabinoids for recreational use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

What?!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't tell me they're trying to make cannabis illegal now?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Apropos of pharmaceuticals and cannabis, guy I know, a (straight) chemist, has been working on synthetic THC for years. The main problem with the research, apparently, was the pain-alleviating compunds tended also to get you pleasantly high. Go figure! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 OMEGA-KNO3

weed should defo be legalised in this day and age also legalise abortion human cloning stemcell research on humans and heres the things that should be illegal like male gays uhhh they should be hanged and ban religion i could care less about some figment of peoples imaginations like god or any of that crap and where the feck are aliens all i see is more and more immigrants coming in and raping our jobs i'll take on ET any day and beat crap out of them if they exist that is.
    IDEALISM AND EVOLUTION IS THE WAY TO GO

OMEGA-KNO3 wrote: »
    weed should defo be legalised in this day and age also legalise abortion human cloning stemcell research on humans and heres the things that should be illegal like male gays uhhh they should be hanged and ban religion i could care less about some figment of peoples imaginations like god or any of that crap and where the feck are aliens all i see is more and more immigrants coming in and raping our jobs i'll take on ET any day and beat crap out of them if they exist that is.
    I love you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

No no no,theres enough sc*mbags around the streets without giving a invitation to other people to join them in there weird world:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

WHY CAN I ONLY THANK A POST ONCE?!?!?!??!?!?! F*ck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Haven't read this thread properly (long thread is long) but yeah, I think legalising cannabis would be ok. Never used it myself, but I know people who use it recreationally and none of them have lost their minds.
    I think the possible effects are blowb out of proportion by the "drugs are bad mmmkay" brigade.

Oh, be nice! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How can someone this wise have only 22 posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

I think it should be legalised!!!
    Here's why...
    I few months ago my dealer went out of business because his stupid neighbour has no job and sits on her fat arse all day and instead of watching Ricki she sat at her window taking down information about everything that was going on at my dealers house and he is now in prison (thanks Jimmy, you were the best dealer EVER!!). This forced me to go and start growing my own. It went just fine, got my baby nice and big and everything. A few weeks ago, just before budding, the electricity went while I was away in the house and my baby died.:eek:
    If weed was legal, I wouldnt have to go through all this stress!!!!!! I could just go out and ****ING BUY SOME!!!!!
    Its not very fair on us, is it?...

But really though... The Netherlands is a fantastic country. It is a really safe, peaceful, openminded place.
    Also, and this is absolutly true, they have he lowest drug related deaths in Europe. AND YES IT IS BECAUSE OF THEIR DRUG POLICY. They seperate soft and hard and it has obviously had a good effect. Weed is really not all that bad for you as long as you dont over do it, I won't deny, ofcourse it can cause serious mental frazzlement if used everyday. But then again the same thing if you had to eat beans for your dinner EVERYDAY.
    Moderation is th key. And if you use cannibis in moderation and alcohol, guess which one is worse for you....
    Do you really think that victimless crime should be punished? Who has the right to say what someone else does with themselves aslong as it has not effect on anyone else. The only effect I can see it having on anyone is a good one, more work, less violence...me being more happy. The whole country being more happy.
    When people drink as we al know, they can get very violent. Yet it is legal. Where is the logic in this? Cannibis just makes you laugh.
    Why exactly is it illegal?...WHY??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Yes it should be legalised and I see no point in criminalising a rather large proportion of the population these days over what is in all honesty a fairly mild high and general way of relaxing with very few serious (and proven!) side effects.

For all you people that think weed should be legal, what about other safer drugs?

Hopefully weed will be dead in 20 years time. By this i mean safer synthetic cannabinoids will have taken it's place. Smoking is hardly healthy, and although it's healthier, eating the plant material is hardly good for you either (think hangover effects ect).

If you're inclined to think nothing good will ever come of synthetic cannabinoids, smoke one of those pre-rolled "zohai sx" joints. I'd easily settle for that high if it was safe and came in pill form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

But really though... The Netherlands is a fantastic country. It is a really safe, peaceful, openminded place.
    Also, and this is absolutly true, they have he lowest drug related deaths in Europe. AND YES IT IS BECAUSE OF THEIR DRUG POLICY. They seperate soft and hard and it has obviously had a good effect. Weed is really not all that bad for you as long as you dont over do it, I won't deny, ofcourse it can cause serious mental frazzlement if used everyday. But then again the same thing if you had to eat beans for your dinner EVERYDAY.
    Moderation is th key. And if you use cannibis in moderation and alcohol, guess which one is worse for you....
    Do you really think that victimless crime should be punished? Who has the right to say what someone else does with themselves aslong as it has not effect on anyone else. The only effect I can see it having on anyone is a good one, more work, less violence...me being more happy. The whole country being more happy.
    When people drink as we al know, they can get very violent. Yet it is legal. Where is the logic in this? Cannibis just makes you laugh.
    Why exactly is it illegal?...WHY??!!!

I agree.

Has a poll been done on this before? I love a good aul vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

After all, thousands of people smoke the stuff, it dosnt really do any harm and it has massive advantages for the elderly and people in pain.
    the tabacco in a spliff does you more harm than a bit of whacky backy.
    Wahts your opinion??

It clearly has negative effects on your grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Hopefully weed will be dead in 20 years time. By this i mean safer synthetic cannabinoids will have taken it's place. Smoking is hardly healthy, and although it's healthier, eating the plant material is hardly good for you either (think hangover effects ect).

Ever heard of a vapouriser?...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Have you ever used cannabis? Hangover effects? A cannabis hangover is feeling like you've been asleep for 18 hours, it's nowhere near the pain of a drink hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

During a drought I would say yay.
    But in normal circumstances nay.....simply because I would proper resent paying tax on it to be honest.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Have you ever used cannabis? Hangover effects? A cannabis hangover is feeling like you've been asleep for 18 hours, it's nowhere near the pain of a drink hangover.

Sadly, to date i have only ever smoked it. I have read on several occasions that eating it gives you a hangover, due to the extra plant material/chemicals consumed. however this could be just plain wrong.

Bear in mind that alcohol is one of THE most toxic recreational drugs around.

While vaporisers are healthier than smoking and eating,I'm sure they're not without their own problems. While a vaporiser will remove most of the plant ****, some of the other chemicals would still get through, leaving me to believe a pill would be healthier.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Only trouble with the Netherlands is since the tobacco ban you cant even smoke in hotels no more.
    What in the hell is the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

SpookyDoll wrote: »
    I would proper resent paying tax on it to be honest.

+1

Keep it illeagal and tax free, system works fine the way it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I hate smoke, horrid stuff, so I'd keep smokeable cannabis banned for that reason. :pac:

The stuff is not healthy, and is (afaik) meant to be worse for you than smoking tobacco. But then given that we're allowed alcohol and tobacco I don't see that as a problem.

The obvious reason I can think of to legalise it is to take the trade away from criminals.

I'd rather the stuff be legal than have some scumbag making a profit out of it, and the ancillary problems that go with his profits.

'Criminalise an industry and it becomes run by criminals.' No idea where I read the quote and think it's slightly wrong but it'd be my main reason to legalise the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The stuff is not healthy, and is (afaik) meant to be worse for you than smoking tobacco.
    The jurys really still out on that one. They've found now that cannabis slows or prevents the spread of cancers (especially lung cancer) Some doctors are arguing that the cannabis even cancels out the carcinogenic properties of the smoke. Don't see how that could be true but your right either way smoking anything is bad for you and there are tons of other ways to use it.

The only problem with sending it through your digestive system is it can take a while to take effect and lasts longer, maybe longer than you'd like to be stoned for. Not great if you just want a quick smoke and have something to do in an hour or two. Vaporisers do the same job as a spliff but can cost hundreds of Euros and are far from portable.

It's more convenient and controllable to smoke the weed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

my two cents on the matter (as a long time smoker who has never used tobacco) are, it's a nice relaxing thing, and (as I am sure many others have posted) is unlikely to cause any family problems (unless your family is very anti drugs), people who use it don't tend to get in to fights. I regard it as not being a gateway drug whatsoever.

Alcohol on the other hand I strongly regard as a true gateway drug.. (foolishly) I have tried a good few different substances down the years, and most times (for the first time) I was locked, as were prtty much most of my friends who have "tried different things" down the years. Don't get me wrong, I love alcohol (perhaps because I am a bit of a drunkard), but I find the fact that marijuana is illegal when such an insane and dangerous substance as alcohol (which again I love) is legel to be utterly bizzarre.

I agree with a previous posters suggestion about taking it away from the criminals - if it were legalised, it might cause extra expense due to taxes being added on, but the simple fact is that the government would be making money on it, which isn't a bad thing (despite the governments inability to spend money properly) and those of us who choose to get high would no longer be classed as criminals, for a habit that is SO painless.
    The argument used about a small percentage of people being prone to psychosis when it is used is ridiculous as well, as that percentage of people is so low compared to (alcohol again) the damage and madness of any weekend in this country

People will do it anyway, and if it is something that does not harm the people around you, then the only intelligent option is to legislate, prosecuting people who commit this harmless act costs the state money, and pushes people who are no worse than a drinker or tobacco smoker into the criminal class, which is ridiculously unfair

On the other hand; I find as a long-term user (this description was uttered by a friend) that marijuana is a very insidious drug - not because of danger, or health or anything else, but because it's so damn EASY. If you can get good stuff, you feel happy, it tastes good and it can indeed be detrimental to other parts of your life - down the years I would say I have certainly neglected my mental development due to it. However I lead a relatively active and healthy life, I go swimming, lift weights, do martial arts, have a decent job, a vehicle etc, I am a productive member of society, so it is a hard point to push that it is a very bad thing - and for chunks of the years I have been a VERY heavy user.

Finally - someone mentionned vaporisers & also eating; with eating I do not think it is something you can do regularily, I worked in a very VERY crap job for a few years (phone job) and ate it every day in a yop for 2 months, for those two months I was barely able to operate as a person beside the necessities.
    Vaporisers - I have purchased a volcano recently, and since I have; when I go training and sometimes have to cough up an amount of lung butter (yes smoking is bad for your lungs) I have found the need to cough anything up decreasing considerably since using the volcano. The volcano also seems to bring out the flavour more & somehow makes what your using stronger (this of course could be wishful thinking).

whooo that was a long one, eh?

Advertisement