Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    3. Marajuana is a class A/Schedule 1 drug in Ireland, the US and many other countries. Classification means nothing.

Sorry, where did you get the info? Just wondering, because to the best of my knowledge, marajuana or all it's deriviants are class c...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You aren't totally in control of your actions when stoned. Your statement was false and worthy of being called retarded.

1. It's also "common knowledge" that marajuana is extremely dangerous and causes psychosis etc. "common knowledge" means nothing.
    2. Marajuana is a class A/Schedule 1 drug in Ireland, the US and many other countries. Classification means nothing.

If you were to take about 8 paracetamol tablets you'd probably end up in hospital. What has some idiot taking an overdose have to do with safety?

imm.

interesting remarks.

the fact that a drug has been known to cause psychosis etc in your words means nothing to you is worrying. You really should consider them a little .

I know which drug has more ill effect . I have eyes and seen people on both drugs as well as using it myself before I became a grown up .. .

paracetamol is not a mood enhancing drug and has warnings all over the packet. Why have you brought this into the discussion?? lots of things out there are harmful. caustic soda bleach. to much salt on your dinner........... why not throw them into the discussion as well

One tries to use common sense to avoid using to much.

But I believe the more mood enhancing drugs you take your common sense levels drop.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LOL, i read the title of this thread as cannibals :D

i dont think cannibals who be legalised

but Cannibas - hell yeah, of course it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

rubadub wrote: »

That might be your experience but I have never seen stats or studies in any country that would come close to that. In almost all studies cannabis is shown to be the most widely tried drug by far. if 99% of users also had tried "harder drugs" then other drugs would be tailing close by compared to the amount of cannabis users.

If you ever go to amsterdam try visiting a quiet coffeeshop, you will see local dutch people and tourist who can enjoy a simple light spliff.

So you believe government reports saying 3% of 15-35 year olds have tried cocaine? You could add a zero to the end of that 3, minimum.

As for Holland, attitudes vary by region but in many areas people still smoking hash in their late 20s and beyond are often viewed as bums and childish.

Heres a good question: name a famous athlete who has called for recreational hash use to be made legal. Actors have. Musicians have. Any athletes? Of course not, because they know full well it inhibits ambition and is bad for concentration and health.

irishbird wrote: »
    LOL, i read the title of this thread as cannibals :D

i dont think cannibals who be legalised

but Cannibas - hell yeah, of course it should be.

:D:D:D:Dlol.

cannibals should be sent packing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Heres a good question: name a famous athlete who has called for recreational hash use to be made legal. Actors have. Musicians have. Any athletes? Of course not, because they know full well it inhibits ambition and is bad for concentration and health.
    Do many of said athletes smoke tobacco?

=-=

Although my heart says yes, the brain says no, as it affects people differently (stoned / paranoia / headaches / time warp), as well as although its "healthier" to smoke than tobacco, it's actually ends up more harmful, as it burns at a higher temperature and people tend to "hold it" in for a longer period than someone smoking tobacco.

If it were legalised, the only way to do so would be to have it in cafes, like Holland, but only after the police found out a way to breathalyse someone, to see it their driving will be impaired by how much they've smoked.

Terry wrote: »
    )

Ever done cocaine?
    Gimme another line. Gimme another line. Gimme another line.
    None left?
    Damn it. Call that guy and get some more. Call that guy an....

Ever done "E"?
    Shít. this isn't working. Gimme another one.
    Crap. I'm coming down. Gimme another one.

Heroin?
    Aww man. This is the best buzz ever. *puke*
    Yeah. *puke*

If you're not puking, then you're in trouble.

That weed is crap. Put more in the next joint.

They are not social drugs.

?

+1

these are my experience of all these drugs. Apart from the Heroin that is. Don't know any one foolish enough to get involved in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There is no way to roadside test, since derivatives remain in the system for days and weeks after smoking and give false positives. I believe we recently introduced a roadside impairment test here, like the one the UK has had for a while, that although not testing for actual substances in the system, looks for the negative effects that would render a driver unsafe (balance, sense of time, pupil dilation etc)...in the event that they fail that, they can then be arrested and subjected to a blood test and subsequently prosecuted for drug driving. The danger of false positive remains though...

[edit] Anyone having Terry's ludicrous experiences with coke and pills has problems. It's called an addictive personality. I've done coke a few times, had a laugh, came down and forgot about it. Truth be told it's a sh*t drug for the money it costs. As for pills? I know plenty of people including myself who could go out, take a couple of yokes, get their buzz out of it and head off to bed that night.
    You're always going to get people who haven't a f*cking clue who just want to keep getting higher to the point where they go over the edge....please don't for a second tell me that there aren't people who do exactly what Terry has described with alcohol and that there aren't so many more of them...
    [edit2]...and that they aren't the most unpleasant feckers to listen to or be around either during or after their booze session...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'm suprised that this hasn't been brought into the discussion yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I had this very discussion today and there is no answer either your pro or anti and neither side will be swayed by argument.
    I asked the person today who was arguing with me to tell me the negative effects of so called illegal drugs and i would tell them two legal substances that have the same negatives and in many cases worse negatives.

Also surely in a modern enlightened age it is ludacris to criminalise me for commiting crimes upon myself ie taking drugs
    it is the worst example of the nanny state attitude in modern society and taken to its natural conclusion would seen all thrill seekers banned form activities such as rock climbing, sky diving,, moto-cross ab-sailing and any other activity which could be see as potentially dangerous to the person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

People here forget the number one factor that would stop people going mad on it if it was legalised; you simply cannot smoke really high quality grass all the time, your head gets fúcked and your body gets tired. Even the most hardened stoners from Ireland would get sick of it after a while and cut back. Most of the Dutch people i know who smoke just buy some really nice hash and smoke it once in a while like they'd drink an expensive drink. If it was legalised in Ireland (for Irish residents, that bit would be vital) you'd have about 9-12 months of madness then people would settle down and get over it, well the vast majority would anyway. The first thing i thought when i came to Holland was 'How the fúck does this country keep going?' but after living here for a while and thinking about it, i realised, it's cause Dutch people don't smoke like the tourists do, cramming in joints at 10am etc. they realise you can't party all the time, irrespective of what the drug is, and people here'd learn that pretty soon too, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

jimi_t wrote: »
    I'm suprised that this hasn't been brought into the discussion yet :rolleyes:

Brilliant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Ever done cocaine?
    Gimme another line. Gimme another line. Gimme another line.
    None left?
    Damn it. Call that guy and get some more. Call that guy an....

Ever done "E"?
    Shít. this isn't working. Gimme another one.
    Crap. I'm coming down. Gimme another one.

Heroin?
    Yeah. *puke*

That weed is crap. Put more in the next joint.

They are not social drugs.

I know how much you love the alcohol/illegal drug comparison Terry, so this is just for you.

Ever drank alcohol?
    Gimme another can. Gimme another can. Gimme another can.
    None left?
    Damn it. Lets go to the off license and get some more. Go to the off license an....

Ever done "alcohol"?
    Shít. this isn't working. Gimme another drink.
    Crap. I'm still sober. Gimme another drink.

Alcohol?
    Yeah. *puke*

That cocktail is crap. Put more alcohol the next one.

This is not a social drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tha Gopher wrote: »

What a bizarre comment. Do actors and musicians not have ambition? You don't think they work hard to achieve goals in their careers? To perform on the West End? To write a brilliant script?

And of course it's bad for your health... You don't see many footballers smoking tobacco either, do you? They don't drink when there's matches coming up either.

There's also the fact that if a footballer came out calling for legalisation, he would probably be met with all sorts of criticism in the media, and there would be quite a backlash including I suspect drug testing, and the club distancing itself from them. Drug use is almost expected of musicians.

As for Terry's posts, reading them is like watching the O'Reilly Factor... Consider forming opinions based on scientific research and statistics instead of your experience of your dysfunctional social circle, and your petty prejudices.

where can I buy the CAKE.

ya big bunch of Hippies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

My sentiments & experience on the subject are recorded repeatedly in boards' archives so I'll limit my contribution here to:

Yes, it should.

DaveMcG wrote:
    As for Terry's posts, reading them is like watching the O'Reilly Factor... Consider forming opinions based on scientific research and statistics instead of your experience of your dysfunctional social circle, and your petty prejudices.
    LMAO.

I'd like to think that personal experience counts for more than random scientific experiments.

You're still in your early twenties.
    Come back to me in ten years and say the same thing. (bookmark this thread and use live bookmarks :) ).

LMAO.

I'd like to think that personal experience counts for more than random scientific experiments.

You're still in your early twenties.
    Come back to me in ten years and say the same thing. (bookmark this thread and use live bookmarks :) ).

That's great that you'd like to think that...... but anyone else with a brain would prefer to go with facts that are thoroughly researched rather than "X% of the people I know........"

Hello Mr. McG. Have you done any illegal drugs?

Umm. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

gsxr1 wrote: »
    the fact that a drug has been known to cause psychosis etc in your words means nothing to you is worrying. You really should consider them a little .
    Firstly, I think there's been a massive misunderstanding here. I've confused you with someone else as you thought I was calling your post retarded. Read the post I wrote again and consider the colon and the quote below it. In my last response I thought you were that person, and hence made the "common knowledge" comment to appeal to the mindset of them rather than yourself.

Secondly, by no means do I think the research linking cannabis with psychosis means nothing. It seems very exaggerated, the significance of the statistics that come out of it are massively overblown and from my personal evaluation of the data, the risks are not great enough not to smoke it, but I am aware that a risk may exist for certain people.
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    I know which drug has more ill effect . I have eyes and seen people on both drugs as well as using it myself before I became a grown up ..
    I'm not really interested in arguing over anecdotal evidence, thanks.

Personally, anything I take is in strict moderation, and as of yet, there have been no significant ill effects, and having researched anything I've taken thoroughly and having read experiences of responsible drug veterans online, I don't expect any.

Like I've said earlier in this thread, there needs to be a working framework for regulation and education in place before anything is legalised so that people don't abuse drugs and are aware of how to use them responsibly.

• Advertisement

Hello Mr. McG. Have you done any illegal drugs?

Umm. No.

Yeah I forgot it's the Gardaí that carry out this onymous research......

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah I forgot it's the Gardaí that carry out this onymous research......
    Most scientific research is bollox.

They get a bunch of people who have smoked the odd joint and ask them some questions.

Proper stoners are too wasted most of the time to acxtually show up for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

They get a bunch of people who have smoked the odd joint and ask them some questions.

Proper stoners are too wasted most of the time to acxtually show up for anything.

:D:D:D
    QFT; man i dig what you saying.......
    what were you saying again?

Socrates watch out, Terry's about!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Socrates watch out, Terry's about!
    Ignoring your sarcasm, you know I'm right.

100%

Anywho........................ back on topic: drugs are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...back on topic we go? ¬_¬

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bitch, why aren't you on Irc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ROFL

omg... terry... to think I actually used to take you seriously

that's awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

davejones wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    QFT; man i dig what you saying.......
    what were you saying again?

Post of the day... Or was it yesterday ?

Advertisement